BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

My X4 1000km review...The Good, The Bad, The Surprising

Hi all finally reached the 1000km milestone and first scratch so my car is fully baptized here is my review. The X3/4 forum has been valuable in me understanding the car and hope this wil also help someone.

Firstly when choosing I always wanted the X3 and joined this forum due to this until the X4 was announced and was dead set to wait -->>> http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521361

Along the way the Macan came had a brief moment of weakness here -->>> http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1038394 but decided on it over Macan due to
  1. I like the X4 look better, very unique looking and I always like different and loved the X6 but found it too big and too ostentatious.
  2. Tech way better ie Gadget and Gizmos
  3. Performance and handling gap too small to make a difference for me, I ain't no Boy racer.
  4. The Macan was cramped inside, X1 size comes to mind
  5. Looks like a Cayenne which Everyone has and people can't differentiate so no stand out appeal.

My options on my N20 over the nice standard features
  • Comfort Acesss
  • Power seats
  • Xline
  • HIFI Stereo
  • Surround Cameras
  • Beige Leather

Option I regret not taking
  • Lights package
  • Driver assist

The likes
  • Drives and handles like a dream yet I have no VDC.
  • In Melbourne red and beige interior it's stunning and quite a head turner, I get some honks and kudos quite a lot.
  • DRLs are very bright everyone wonder which Beemer it is in fact my SA gotten calls asking which Bimmer is that for the X4 is still rare and exclusive.....at least for now.
  • I have enough Torque to leave 95% of the cars on the road in the dust with my N20, don't need more power.
  • My fav option, Surround view Cameras and HIFI systems which rocks, best stereo in any car I have owned, not skipping that option ever again!

Dislikes
  • After seating in the Macan, the X4 seats are a joke, there not bad but BMW need to up their game for everyone else has ie Merc, Audi, Porsche and bring some of the 5 series level luxury to 3/4 level, sat in new X5 comforts seats and they were wow!
  • Tiny idrive controller for non Nav option, Looks like a toy!
  • Old cluster if no Nav also, I hate BMW doing this to us, why not let me order it without being forced to take Prof Nav which is a waste.
  • Automatic tailgate is a liability, cause of my first scratch and paint chip.
  • No dual exhaust like the X6.
  • No LEDs on indicators etc, really BMW?
  • Beige interior higher maintenance than expected, still worth the look.
  • Start stop can be annoying.
  • The Consumption figures are a lie.

Surprises
  • Rear visibility not as bad as I thought , I am used to it and the Surround Cameras are a must for this car, wifes 1 series rear is worse.
  • In N20 form it's so quiet, the soundproofing is amazing, was not too happy at first, but why do I need a large exhaust note, enjoying the quietness and my HIFI sound.
  • The Runflats are pretty forgiving compared to the old, ride actually more cushy.
  • With 18" rims with regular suspension ride is not chattery or stiff on bad roads.
  • Comfort Access lights on the handles are so nice when they light at night and rear dome light is so cool at night.
  • Bluetooth radio is now standard with USB 6NH.
  • Copper trim look like dark mahogany contrasts the Beige well ordered without seeing it.

Concerns being addressed by dealer under warranty
  • Slight rattle on the center piano black trim
  • Front seat already creased, WTH?

So who is the X4 for?

"If you think a 3 Series wagon is too carlike, an X3 too much like a boring SUV, a 3 Series Gran Turismo practical but not sporty enough, a 4 Series Gran Coupe sporty but not practical enough, and you definitely don't want to drive a 3 Series sedan like everyone else, then the X4 is the perfect vehicle for you." http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#__federated=1

So very happy for now however BMW need to up their game, waiting to see what the 2nd Gen Macan brings, if they sort the Tech and cramped interior it maybe my very next car if Bimmer continue with the same trend of giving Series 3/4 lower grade seats and materials unlike Series 5 and above.

PS
NOT gotten time to take photos, I will leave this placeholder teasers and update later but wanted to post review in the interim.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bimar; 12-21-2014 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
predator
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Bmw X4 2.0i xline sophistograu

The consumptionfigures are a joke , i drive an N20 too and mixed i have a consumption of 11,5/ 100km and its getting worse not better , have 4200 km now and contacted my dealer for a check up , i am afraid to use the car in sports modus because then i consume 13L/100 km
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator View Post
The consumptionfigures are a joke , i drive an N20 too and mixed i have a consumption of 11,5/ 100km and its getting worse not better , have 4200 km now and contacted my dealer for a check up , i am afraid to use the car in sports modus because then i consume 13L/100 km
Sports mode is a blast though, it catches me off guard
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Sarsippius3rd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i

Very nice assessment. I have an x4 Msport in Melbourne red with the mocha interior. 3k miles on it and still loving it like day one. My car as well had been baptised, but sadly by my kids using the door as an art easel, and a rock as their crayon. Fortunately the dealer was able to buff out most but 2 scratches. Enjoy the car. I do!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

Great pictures! Awesome look! Hmmmm maybe I'll consider. :-)
      11-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius3rd View Post
Very nice assessment. I have an x4 Msport in Melbourne red with the mocha interior. 3k miles on it and still loving it like day one. My car as well had been baptised, but sadly by my kids using the door as an art easel, and a rock as their crayon. Fortunately the dealer was able to buff out most but 2 scratches. Enjoy the car. I do!
Mine pals kid accidentally pressed the open trunk button in driver side and the tailgate had nowhere to go but scrape a surface for was in a tight spot. hope Dr color get Melbourne red so I order.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Yocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 28i M Sport

Nice review. Only got to drive my X4 for 3 weeks before my accident (~800 miles). Eagerly awaiting its return.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
TomaGo
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Hello
Nice review and Nice X4, thank you.

Thomas
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 02:01 AM   #9
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Any chance of more pics

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 02:33 AM   #10
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
Any chance of more pics
yeah by weekend, been a bit lazy mostly enjoying the car
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #11
Big geordie
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x4 2.0 d m sport

baptism of fire

Sorry to hear about damage to your new x4 s. But think i can beat most babtism,s. My car has been baptized / damaged in collision with a deer. Mashed front air grill / broken fog light / front wing respray. goes in on monday 3 days for repair and hefty bill. Ł733. ouch. well i new BMWs are not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
Yocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 28i M Sport

Unlucky, Big geordie. But nothing will beat the $20,000 repair bill for my X4. At least I get to win at something.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big geordie View Post
Sorry to hear about damage to your new x4 s. But think i can beat most babtism,s. My car has been baptized / damaged in collision with a deer. Mashed front air grill / broken fog light / front wing respray. goes in on monday 3 days for repair and hefty bill. Ł733. ouch. well i new BMWs are not cheap.
Ouch, that sucks! So you must be one of the first owners in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocal View Post
Unlucky, Big geordie. But nothing will beat the $20,000 repair bill for my X4. At least I get to win at something.
Triple ouch, hope your car will soon be out.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #14
Big geordie
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x4 2.0 d m sport

Inamik 75 .Picked car up 1st september, have only seen 1 other in white m sport. very rare breed so far.

Yocal. you win hands down unfortunatley. what the ::::: did u hit. hope all goes well with repairs.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #15
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big geordie View Post
Inamik 75 .Picked car up 1st September, have only seen 1 other in white m sport. very rare breed so far.
my dealer just got one a white Msport, enjoying the exclusivity while it lasts.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
Any chance of more pics
attached pics from my Samsung S5
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #17
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Beautiful pics, Inamik75. I like the red & beige interior. The auto start stop can be defaulted to last use. What wax/polish do you use and yet have no white powder residue on the black trim? Also, do I see correctly, gas refill door covers on both sides?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #18
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Beautiful pics, Inamik75. I like the red & beige interior. The auto start stop can be defaulted to last use. What wax/polish do you use and yet have no white powder residue on the black trim? Also, do I see correctly, gas refill door covers on both sides?
I flipped photos for effect, I only have one tank cover Have residue on black trim from day of collection, I think dealer waxed car, can it be removed? Have not waxed yet but use Turtle wax Zip car wash which says it has wax in it, not sure if this product is good or bad used for over 10 years with no issues. Where do I default start/stop, I see nowwhere in idrive or is it a coding thing?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #19
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Auto start stop. For x3/f25, dealer did 3 hr programing, now defaulted to last user mode. 1st time no charge.
For x5/f15, no programing needed, it remembers and recalls last user mode.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/08/13/bm...stop-settings/

White residue, try Maguire's back to black. For wax, I use Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax as it leaves no white residue. Maybe it is a polish rather than a wax, as most/all? wax leave residue. Only dark graphite it did leave a haze behind, maybe I put to much product on. I am looking for a durable wax without residue, so far it is the Meguires Ultimate Wax, I think turtle wax has a product.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #20
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Auto start stop. For x3/f25, dealer did 3 hr programing, now defaulted to last user mode. 1st time no charge.
For x5/f15, no programing needed, it remembers and recalls last user mode.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/08/13/bm...stop-settings/

White residue, try Maguire's back to black. For wax, I use Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax as it leaves no white residue. Maybe it is a polish rather than a wax, as most/all? wax leave residue. Only dark graphite it did leave a haze behind, maybe I put to much product on. I am looking for a durable wax without residue, so far it is the Meguires Ultimate Wax, I think turtle wax has a product.
3 hours?. I will ask, not sure how good it is to keep going off with turbos spinning. So let me get this right are you saying there is a difference between wax and Polish ég turtle wax product vs Meguires wax?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #21
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

At 5000km had first service, car still in great shape and shiny. Best part still the only car I have ever owned where I stare at it each time, very happy. Recently drive a 30d F15 X5 and was surprised how much smoother it was to the X4, very Lexus like without the lumbering feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #22
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Just an update been almost 2 years over 10000miles currently. Still lovely drive just a slight rattle in rear trunk trim. The Melbourne red and beige interior have held well and still a head turner. Been looking to replace but nothing seems to be better in the market apart from X6/5 but too big for me. If the X4M40i had an upgraded interior and seats would upgrade in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 1