BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
rgoode
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 X3

X3 Completely Dead

Hi all,
I have a 2005 X3. When I try to start it, nothing happens. No clicking, no turning over, no nothing. The key fob will not lock/unlock anything. The trunk will not open. Also, nothing in the car will work. The unlock button on the inside of the car does nothing. All of the doors are stuck locked except for the driver's side door which is only open because of opening it with the key in the door. I've tried jumping the battery, that didn't work. When I do try to start the car, the only lights that come on on the dashboard are the oil light and the airbag light. The battery light comes, but it is really dim and it turns off almost immediately.

I have already tried changing the battery as well... nothing changed. I never realized how difficult it could be to change a battery. Turns out that it is way more difficult if you can't open any of the doors except for the driver's side door.
That brings up another point. Is there any way to open the doors/trunk manually? None of the unlock buttons work.

If anyone has any help to offer it would be appreciated.

P.S. Does anyone know of any good repair shops in Denver, CO?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
maxx4wd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan - JB4

Garage List
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
We had a similar issue when the ecu locked up and slowly drained the battery to nothing (it was actually the blue tootch controller). This doesn't sound like your issue but I do feel your pain with the door locks. It sounds like you should try tooking for a blown fuse (located above and behind the passenger side glove box. Try pulling the main fuses out and checking them. There are more breakers than these in the engine bay. if you have access to a reset tool, reset and clear all the ecu faults (if any) that seemed to help our issue and allowed us to unlock the car once we had the jumpers (and consequently power to the computers) connected.

All other doors should mechanically open from the inside no matter if any power is supplied to the vehicle...also I think there is a manual trunk release located in one of the rear fender wells (haven't looked for it but I'm pretty sure its a federal requirement to have a manual release somewhere in the rear.

Try idlying the donor vehicle when jumping the car to ensure that enough power is getting to the dead vehicle...try 3000 rpm (vehicle dependent). I know when I had to jump the x3 with our 335i I had to rev it up to like 3500 before enough juice was available to start the x3.

Hope this helps some.
Appreciate 0