BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
penfl32526
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X3

Door moldings

My wife just purchased a black 2010 BMW X3. There are no door moldings to protect the doors from other car doors in parking lots. Her last car got dinged up bad but on the molding. Where is the best place to purchase door moldings and should she get the painted kind or the black rubber kind. I am not sure which would look better. I saw a X5 that had about a 3/8" hard rubber molding and it didn't look too bad. The advantage to rubber is it would not show the dings. I want what will look good and keep looking good in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

Old people up here in Canada buy that cheap crap from CanadianTire. I am sure Pepboys or Autozone will have it in an assortment of colors and fake chrome finishes.

On a more serious note, I don't believe that the X3 every came with them from the factory or if they were an accessory option.

The E46 and E90 3 series cars had them from the factory and as an accessory respectively. These may fit, but you are looking at custom work to make it happen.

The next trick will be to get the molding at the right height to make sure that other cars door hitting her car contact the molding and not the door above the molding, which always seems to be the case.