BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2016, 10:59 PM   #1
DaleWA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 / '20 X5 M50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Door Lock Malfunction

On several occasions I've gone into the garage to the X3 and the drivers door was locked. None of the other doors were locked. It would not open with the remote and I had to pull out the manual key and open the door. The the drivers door would lock as soon as the start button was pressed.
It's happened more frequently lately, and now when it does the lock button on the dash won't work either. Once after one of these episodes I got the battery discharge warning message. So I put it on the battery tender, charged it up and everything worked fine for two days. Then out to the car one morning and the drivers door was locked again and no response with the remote. So while the locks were not working from the remote or dash button, I put it on the battery tender again, got it charged, and took it off the battery tender in the afternoon. The next morning, the locks still weren't working and I had the battery discharge warning again.

I am thinking it is the driver's door lock actuator going bad. Any other opinions?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 03:08 AM   #2
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

It sounds like your battery is on it's way out and the voltage variations are playing havoc with the central locking actuators. Try another battery first.
With all the modern day wizardry in the X3, and stop/start function, the starter motor and battery have a lot to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 04:21 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Charge the battery for an extended period of time (3 or 4 days) if you can before doing anything else! If that does not work, then the previous option of trying another battery appears to be the way forward.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
DaleWA
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
This is a new battery that was replaced just as the warranty ran out last July.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

That eliminates that suggestion, but do you drive the car regularly and for a few miles. Short trips under 5 miles won't help the battery.
It could be the master solenoid,but someone with more knowledge than I to tell you if it makes up part of the drivers actuator.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
DaleWA
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Another observation is that while all of the door lock buttons can be pressed on each door to lock it, the button on the drivers door can't be pressed down and I can only lock it with the key.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleWA View Post
Another observation is that while all of the door lock buttons can be pressed on each door to lock it, the button on the drivers door can't be pressed down and I can only lock it with the key.
I am not familiar with the locking process on the F25, but it sounds as though the central locking module (if it has one) has a problem. Looks like you are going to have to go to a dealer and have a diagnostic check.
Appreciate 0