BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #1
DrWatt
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Smartphone Contacts

I am new to BMW. The salesman downloaded my smartphone contacts to my 2014 X3. Took delivery Dec. 30. Also downloaded my messages. Every time I shut the engine off the contacts disappear. The messages are still there though.

I have downloaded the contacts two additional times, but they disappear every time I shut down the engine. What am I doing wrong? Is there some save feature I am missing.

Sorry if I missed a thread with this topic.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
mmc999
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Correct me if I am wrong.

I think the car only read the contacts on the phone through BT. It does not actually save the contacts to the car.

Personally, I like this way better.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
DrWatt
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I don't know the answer. I know after downloading I can pull up a list of contacts and select one to call without handling my phone. After they disappear after shutting the engine off, I see a message no contacts even after the BT connection.

The advantage is the contact name should appear on the screen with an incoming call. I don't recognize many numbers of my contacts.

I am wondering why it saves my messages. That makes less sense than saving contacts. Downloading contacts does not happen automatically. You have to open telephone and click on some option to begin. I also have to give permission on my phone to have it take place.

Does anyone have smartphone contacts stored? That's what I need to know. Thought I would get better information here than from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatt View Post
Does anyone have smartphone contacts stored? That's what I need to know. Thought I would get better information here than from the dealer.
The contacts are downloaded on startup every time. This is by design. The messages usually do too, but I've noticed that sometimes some will become "stuck" and don't go away. If you have to do something by hand to get your contacts to show up, something is not set up right.

Make sure your phone os is up to date. Next, go to bmw.com/update and follow the instructions to update your vehicle if necessary. Once all is well, delete your phone from the vehicle and re-pair.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
mmc999
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Which phone are you using? I am using iPhone, which allows me to choose a smaller subset of contact (to load). This significantly speeds up the loading process.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
DrWatt
Rep

I have a Samsung Galaxy Light which was just introduced in Oct. 2013. I got it in November and had no problems with it in my 2010 Cadillac SRX. Had a Samsung Galaxy Blaze before that and no problems with it either. I did talk to a sales person at the dealership and he says his contacts stay in memory.

Seems like a few people have different experiences with the downloading and storing of contacts from replies. Hmm, that's more perplexing.

My phone will not allow downloads unless I check OK. It asks every time which is a good thing. Same with messages. If you allow someone to drive your vehicle you may not want them going through your contact list.

A sales person said the phone may not be fully compatible but I think that's BS. Why would it download both messages and contacts and only keep the messages? Service Department had no answer by phone. They asked me to come in today but I was busy. Strange they had no answer.

It does not download on start up. I have to go into "telephone" from the iDrive controller. At least that has been my experience so far. I will check again.

Phone is updated all the time. At the minimum once a week by design. I will try breaking the pair relationship and then pairing again. That is a good suggestion. Thanks Evil Genius, and thank all who replied.

Technology bugs always tee me off.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
DrWatt
Rep

Problem Solved

Breaking the paired devices and repair again helped. I found it was a feature with my phone also. My phone asks permission for downloads. A safety feature I like. This time when I got that message, I checked the "Don't ask again" box and then checked ok.

Everything seems to be working fine now. My Galaxy Light has a quad four processor so downloads are very fast. Same with Internet access. I downloaded over 150 contacts with multiple numbers in a few seconds.

Thanks everyone for your responses, all of them were helpful.
Appreciate 0