BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
marblehead
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3 MSport Package

Ah Codes!

Going to post a new thread even though I've embedded postings in some of those of you other members! New-to-me x1 week, '08 3.0si/MSport, 57k on the odometer, which is an amazing car. It "threw a code" after 4 days of ownership, the SES light, which then mysteriously and suddenly went out just yesterday. Ironically, I was heading to a local AutoZone to have the code read when the SES light disappeared! Car is running FINE, no loss of mileage. I have noticed that the HVAC temperature control doesn't seem to result in an interior temperature change but the car is so new to me, that I've chalked it up to my not yet figuring out the HVAC operation. However, this is what was pulled from the SES code:

AutoZone
Troubleshooting P0597
0El4 Brand: BMW
P144B
Definition
Thermostat heater control circuit open
Explanation
0pen rr short circuit condition
Probable cause
Poor electrical connection
Failed engine cooling thermostat

I'm still baffled by the disappearance of the light. . .I thought when codes emerged, they remained until manually cleared by a reader. . .
And just as a matter of routine and prior to the SES light disappearing, I also found a significant amount of debris/dirt/bugs in the air filter box, vacuumed it out and banged out the air filter while I await a new K&N to be delivered. I can't imagine this is the cause of the SES but I'm sure cleaning the area didn't hurt.

Anybody run into these particular codes and then I've this general questions about car computers and codes:
Do they/can they produce "false positives?" That is, might these codes either be inaccurate and/or might they point to something else or can I treat these particular codes as true and accurate, like a kind of repair grocery list???

Anybody's thoughts and experiences regarding these things would be most appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
joylove
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI

All faults will be stored in memory. What 'class' the fault is will determine if the lamp is lit.

If it is a safety item, such as an airbag issue, a light will remain lit until cleared.

If it's something else non-saftery related, such as a misfire, the light may be extinguished if the fault is no longer present.

With any code on a new car, it is wise to clear what could be a 4 year old code and check it again if the problem resurfaces. It's a good idea to have your own code reader.

If you can't get INPA with K+DCAN working, something like this might do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D112-Creator...-/171006907030
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
cagui1223
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3[E83]

My 07 X3 3.0 si also threw out that code. When I had it checked at autozone they said it was specific to Volkswagon though...
Either way I changed the thermostat out and did a coolant flush. If the car is under warrantly have the dealer check for any new and old codes to give you a better idea of exactly what is going on with the vehicle.

Let us know the outcome.

- CA
Appreciate 0