BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #23
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWilson View Post
My X6 had runflats, no problems with them. At first driving about with no spare or jack took a little to get used to.
Ok I'm learning something new here? - if you choose a wheel combo with run flats you get no spacesaver spare or jack (in the x3?). You get a puncture, carry on driving and probably cant get it repaired?

Max3.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #24
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max3Factor View Post
Ok I'm learning something new here? - if you choose a wheel combo with run flats you get no spacesaver spare or jack (in the x3?). You get a puncture, carry on driving and probably cant get it repaired?

Max3.
Could have bought a space saver and jack combo for about £270, but thought that was a little steep.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #25
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Understand no UK X3s have spares. Normal tyre cars get repair kit. Runflats don't ? as they can't be fixed safely after a puncture as detecting the repair worked is supposedly impossible. Correct me if I am wrong gurus.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #26
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Understand no UK X3s have spares. Normal tyre cars get repair kit. Runflats don't ? as they can't be fixed safely after a puncture as detecting the repair worked is supposedly impossible. Correct me if I am wrong gurus.
The thinking behind the "no repairs" policy is that driving the [flat] tire any significant distance CAN cause serious damage to the sidewalls. The BMW OEM run-flat tires are rated for at least 50 miles at 50 mph (some new Bridgestone Gen-III tires are rated for up to 100 miles). Since there is no easy way to determine just how much damage MAY have occurred, the recommended procedure is to not attempt to repair it.

However, if the tire has only developed a slow leak due to a small nail puncture in the tread area only, AND if the tire has not been driven any distance at very low pressure (heed your tire pressure warning system immediately!), a conventional tubeless tire repair (a fiber plug and an inside patch) would work as well as on any tubeless tire.

The issue is one of liability of the repairing facility. They have no way of determining if the owner has really "only had a slow leak" and not driven on the flat tire. or has been driving for the last week at 0-psi and 70 mph, and has damaged the internal structure of the tire seriously, but still thinks the tire should be repaired.

Last edited by Lotus7; 03-13-2011 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0