BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

Anyone have any experiences with the Hartge Engine Performance Upgrade X3 35i?

Thinking about doing this. Concerned about warranty void.
      02-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
GWA
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

I investigated this a trifle superficially for a 3.0D engined X3. Two points worth considering...
1. There is a claim that it is very easy to unplug the module and go back to standard whenever you need to visit your dealer. This is a bit misleading as there is said to be several hours work because of the relative inaccessibility of the various locations of sockets and plugs.
2. The local Hartge agent reckons that once you disconnect the device BMW would never know it had been on the vehicle. This claim is suspect as I have read elsewhere that the memory for at least some of the car's engine and gearbox activity goes back quite some time. One wonders how many hours driving is needed before the Hartge activities fade from memory.
I am hesitant on the above as I cannot gauge the competence of the Hartge agent who claimed to have expertise. So just things to check yourself. Good luck! Maybe communicate directly with the Hartge head office in Germany. They would surely speak English.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWA
I investigated this a trifle superficially for a 3.0D engined X3. Two points worth considering...
1. There is a claim that it is very easy to unplug the module and go back to standard whenever you need to visit your dealer. This is a bit misleading as there is said to be several hours work because of the relative inaccessibility of the various locations of sockets and plugs.
2. The local Hartge agent reckons that once you disconnect the device BMW would never know it had been on the vehicle. This claim is suspect as I have read elsewhere that the memory for at least some of the car's engine and gearbox activity goes back quite some time. One wonders how many hours driving is needed before the Hartge activities fade from memory.
I am hesitant on the above as I cannot gauge the competence of the Hartge agent who claimed to have expertise. So just things to check yourself. Good luck! Maybe communicate directly with the Hartge head office in Germany. They would surely speak English.
Thank you very much for the feedback!
      02-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

Why not just get the BMS tuner?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92
Why not just get the BMS tuner?
I didn't think of it. I'll look into it! Thank you for the suggestion!
      06-26-2014, 04:15 AM   #6
997paul
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M Sport

I've got it. Personally don't think BMW can detect it once installed and removed. I had to take my x3 for a warranty repair. Took out the hartge got the warranty repair done (programming issue apparently that was causing ecu to show oil had done 40,000km not 4,000km) and BMW was none the wiser to the hartge. And I live in Japan and the BMW dealers are very picky and don't want you to change anything from stock. In fact I had to also take off my after market rims before BMW would accept the vehicle for service.
Appreciate 0