BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #1
bluesky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i

Factory Defects?

Experiencing the following issues in my 2 week old X3 3.0i with Driver Assist Plus/ACC and Exec Pkg, wondering if anyone else is:

1. Roughly half the time the ACC cannot be activated. Pressing the on/off button yields the cluster msg CRUISE CONTROL CANNOT BE ACTIVATED. After successful activation, sometimes braking will deactivate the function entirely instead of just putting it in standby, evidenced by the absence of the “follow” bars. Front camera & radar sensor are clean.

2. When using High Beam Assist the high beams exhibit a noticeable “on/off latency” similar to that of an incandescent bulb. My similarly equipped outgoing ‘15 X3 did not exhibit this.

3. Speed sign camera ignores appx 20% of signs, including those previously detected by my ‘15 X3, all during daylight. BMW Genius mentioned he heard the ‘18’s were more “sluggish” in detecting speed signs.

Thanks for any feedback, additional data will be helpful in approaching Service with possible “factory defects”.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
mathan416
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
1. Roughly half the time the ACC cannot be activated. Pressing the on/off button yields the cluster msg CRUISE CONTROL CANNOT BE ACTIVATED. After successful activation, sometimes braking will deactivate the function entirely instead of just putting it in standby, evidenced by the absence of the “follow” bars. Front camera & radar sensor are clean.
I occasionally get the message that Cruise Control Cannot be Activated. Usually it's when I'm braking and turn it on or in certain cases when I'm driving too slow. It was similar on my MINI as well. I don't consider it a defect.

Quote:
2. When using High Beam Assist the high beams exhibit a noticeable “on/off latency” similar to that of an incandescent bulb. My similarly equipped outgoing ‘15 X3 did not exhibit this.
The lights fade up and down. It's done purposely and not a defect.
Appreciate 1
ZHPsedan135.50
      02-19-2018, 12:08 AM   #3
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Experiencing the following issues in my 2 week old X3 3.0i with Driver Assist Plus/ACC and Exec Pkg, wondering if anyone else is:

3. Speed sign camera ignores appx 20% of signs, including those previously detected by my ‘15 X3, all during daylight. BMW Genius mentioned he heard the ‘18’s were more “sluggish” in detecting speed signs.

Thanks for any feedback, additional data will be helpful in approaching Service with possible “factory defects”.
1. If I recall, any braking will deactivate ACC (but not turn off). This has always been the case? When you brake, it deactivates and the distance bars turn off - but this doesn't mean ACC is off.. When you want to turn it back on, you press the SET or RESUME button. If it was really off, then you'd have to press the ACC on button (the one above the left thumbwheel) to turn it back on and then set a new speed.

2. This is because the car actually uses a separate set of LEDs for the high beams which take a little longer to illuminate to full brightness. this is normal for all LEDs. Your '15 X3 did not do this because it did not use separate lights for your high beams. It used a mirror to reflect your regular headlights to high beams. Therefore, there was no latency as your regular headlights were already on. Check it out - look at your headlights on regular and then on high - it's the same lights reflected differently. BMW did this precisely to avoid the latency in brightness with a LED high beam. On your 2018 X3, there are separate lights for the high beam, so it is not instantaneous like in your 2015 X3 - however when you 2018 X3 has it's high beams on, the regular lights also stay lit. In your 2015 X3, you no longer had regular lights when your high beams were on since they are the same lights reflected differently. That being said, the latency is really small and I'm surprised people even notice. This isn't a defect.

3. This I do agree with somewhat but it happens far less than 20%... I would say like maybe <5% of the time for me and in the dark or bad weather. In my 2015 X3, it almost never failed. I do think that it's because of the different camera system that is used. The 2015 had a single camera above the windshield whereas the 2018 has a dual camera system I think because it's also used for lane keeping. At my success rate, I wouldn't call it a defect for me. 20% in bright daylight, however - sounds like something is off.
Appreciate 1
focker155.00
      02-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
bluesky
United_States
Rep

Thanks to all for your valuable detailed info!

I agree that the correct ACC op is to move to "standby" when braking, and thereafter hitting Resume or using the thumbwheel to set a new speed should automatically re-engage. In my case braking will turn ACC completely off and subsequently pressing ANY ACC control (main, set/res, thumbwheel) gives the msg CRUISE CONTROL CANNOT BE ACTIVATED, even at speeds >40mph. Again, this happens intermittently. The braking interaction is just a symptom as sometimes from a cold start the ACC will not turn on at any speed and sometimes it will and will function normally for the balance of the trip. Software? Hardware? I've been trying to discern a causal pattern with no success... will report back after my Service visit next month.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
which take a little longer to illuminate to full brightness. this is normal for all LEDs.
What are you basing this statement on? I'm pretty sure the majority of LED's illuminate in the nanosecond time frame; in fact, many high-power LED applications utilize modulation (quickly turning them on/off) to keep from overheating them.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
which take a little longer to illuminate to full brightness. this is normal for all LEDs.
What are you basing this statement on? I'm pretty sure the majority of LED's illuminate in the nanosecond time frame; in fact, many high-power LED applications utilize modulation (quickly turning them on/off) to keep from overheating them.
Ooops my bad. I wonder if I was drinking when I wrote that. My 2015 X3 has Xenons not LEDs and what I wrote was referring to the HIDs in the Xenons that take time for full brightness hence the reflection it used for the high beams. My 2018 is my first LED headlight X3 and somehow my brain thought my previous car has LEDs too and then I wrote the explanation that was a bit off! Thanks for correcting me.
Appreciate 1
MN2///M521.00
      02-22-2018, 02:59 AM   #7
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
My X3 is going in on Monday. The kick to open hatch release is working intermittently. Does not appear to be snow or dirt or the comfort access receiver as the button on the hatch still works.
I am also asking them to address the Google Maps (send to my car) issue and to change the in-service date (for some reason 3 weeks before I received the car - it was still on the train on Dec 31). The latter is really only an issue for warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
bluesky
United_States
Rep

Coincidentally today my hatch kick also began working intermittently. Up to then it was working much better than my ‘15 X3, much more sensitive that required less hunting for just the right spot. Just another item to add to my growing list.

Also discovered the driver side Adaptive headlight adjusters much more noisy than the other side, and worse at lower temps.

I suspect these quality issues are fallout from the G01 still being in an early stage of new model production.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #9
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
Went in to the dealer yesterday. They were of no help with the Google maps issue. As for the tailgate "kick to open" it seems to work at the far right and far left (so why could I not have had it with a tow hitch???). They need the car back in two weeks to put a different control module in. If tat does not work, I suppose that they will replace the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
cvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: New BMW X3

What about the in service date?
I’m concerned that my car will have this issue too.
When I got my vin, I installed connected drive app and configured it.
This action sent a PIN number to the car.... which may have activated the in service count.
I still don’t have my car... so have not completed setup yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvee View Post
What about the in service date?
I’m concerned that my car will have this issue too.
When I got my vin, I installed connected drive app and configured it.
This action sent a PIN number to the car.... which may have activated the in service count.
I still don’t have my car... so have not completed setup yet.
So far no luck on the correction of the in service date. I have not given up.
Appreciate 0