BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #2179
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhoudaniell View Post
Oh ok, so F30 stuff will also work on f25? any other chasis models?

And just to confirm, it seems like after reading throuhg a couple years worth of comments on here, that doing this doesn't really mess with the warranty or the ability to bring it into the dealership to get things fixed. There's no way that they'll see my vehicle, say "you custom coded this so we will no longer do any services to you car", correct?
Coding is ECU specific, not Chassis specific, and head units are common across all Chassis.

I hate question of "legality" of Coding. I am convinced it is legal, but I didn't go to Law School, and I am not going to make any assurance that some dealer somewhere is not going to take issue with it and try and create problems. I only know it is rampant, and I never hear of problems, except in very rare cases where an individual has actually bricked an ECU.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #2180
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Coding is ECU specific, not Chassis specific, and head units are common across all Chassis.

I hate question of "legality" of Coding. I am convinced it is legal, but I didn't go to Law School, and I am not going to make any assurance that some dealer somewhere is not going to take issue with it and try and create problems. I only know it is rampant, and I never hear of problems, except in very rare cases where an individual has actually bricked an ECU.
What is "ECU"? and what is it getting bricked/how do I prevent it?

For someone new to this, I see cheatsheets for f10, 15, 22, 25, 30, 36 and 56. Which one of these should I proceed with for my specific vehicle? Sounds liek 25/30 are the common ones I should be looking at.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #2181
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What is "ECU"? and what is it getting bricked/how do I prevent it?

For someone new to this, I see cheatsheets for f10, 15, 22, 25, 30, 36 and 56. Which one of these should I proceed with for my specific vehicle? Sounds liek 25/30 are the common ones I should be looking at.
ECU - Electronic Control Unit, aka "module". These are what you code. Bricking normally occurs during botched "programming", which is not actually coding but is flashing ECU with new firmware.

If you want to code an ECU, say HU_NBT (Head Unit) for example, you can use any Cheat Sheet that has that same ECU on it.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #2182
CER
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 M Sport

Garage List
2023 X1  [0.00]
Need link

Shawn,

Can you send me the link for everything I need to code a new 2017 X3?

Thank you
CER
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #2183
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Oh ok, so F30 stuff will also work on f25? any other chasis models?
  • F20/F3x/F8x (use fem_body) cannot have HUD turnsignals, but can have LED door handles in reverse.
  • F10/F25 (use FRM & CAS) can code HUD turn signals, but cannot have LED door handles in reverse
  • Both may have HU_NBT and ICMQL
As shawnsheridan said, coding is ECU-specific.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #2184
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CER View Post
Shawn,

Can you send me the link for everything I need to code a new 2017 X3?

Thank you
CER
No, you cannot send or receive PM's yet. Send me one when you can.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #2185
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Can someone help me please with this error. I need to code all back to standard, because I'm turning my car in tomorrow. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #2186
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep

Quote:
ECU - Electronic Control Unit, aka "module". These are what you code. Bricking normally occurs during botched "programming", which is not actually coding but is flashing ECU with new firmware.

If you want to code an ECU, say HU_NBT (Head Unit) for example, you can use any Cheat Sheet that has that same ECU on it.
Great, excited to try this out tomorrow.

Couple of questions:

- How do I "backup" the default settings now in case I screw something up and need to restore it to the current version?
- I ran through the sofware setup for practicebut haven't done the actual coding since my cable doesn't get in until tomorrow - Is there a video or something to show what the process is like when the actual coding happens?
- I'm still a bit confused on the whole "ECU" specific vs chasis specific thing, anyway that you can expand?

Almaretto Would appreciate any input if you have it, definitely appreciate both of your recommendations so far!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #2187
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Can someone help me please with this error. I need to code all back to standard, because I'm turning my car in tomorrow. Thanks in advance!
Looks like loss of Power or Cable interruption.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:46 PM   #2188
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Great, excited to try this out tomorrow.

Couple of questions:

- How do I "backup" the default settings now in case I screw something up and need to restore it to the current version?
- I ran through the sofware setup for practicebut haven't done the actual coding since my cable doesn't get in until tomorrow - Is there a video or something to show what the process is like when the actual coding happens?
- I'm still a bit confused on the whole "ECU" specific vs chasis specific thing, anyway that you can expand?

Almaretto Would appreciate any input if you have it, definitely appreciate both of your recommendations so far!
VO coding restores ECU to factory settings.

Guides include pictoral step-by-step procedures.

Coding is hardware specific. This relates to available vehicle packages, headlamps, and individual ECU's. So, do not go looking for Fem_Body in an X3 as well as do not use codes meant for an F8x with Xenons on an F25 with Adaptive LED's.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #2189
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...- How do I "backup" the default settings now in case I screw something up and need to restore it to the current version?
- I'm still a bit confused on the whole "ECU" specific vs chasis specific thing, anyway that you can expand?..
Backups are worthless. You can restore any ECU to factory settings by activating original FA and VO Coding it.

I don't know what is confusing about ""ECU" specific vs Chassis specific". As an example, since NBT Head Unit ECU can be found installed in any Chassis (F30, F10, F15, etc.), you can use the Cheat Sheet for any chassis, and use it to code NBT ECU in any other chassis that has same ECU. Conversely, since FEM_BODY exists only in F2x/F3x chassis, you would not find it on F10 Cheat Sheet.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:37 PM   #2190
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
VO coding restores ECU to factory settings.

Guides include pictoral step-by-step procedures.

Coding is hardware specific. This relates to available vehicle packages, headlamps, and individual ECU's. So, do not go looking for Fem_Body in an X3 as well as do not use codes meant for an F8x with Xenons on an F25 with Adaptive LED's.
What exactly does VO stand for? That's def a peace of mind knowing that I don't have to worry about backing up.

For the pictorial step by step, you're talking about the guides within the E-sys documents correct?

The hardware specific thing makes sense to me. Is there a way to know something like, "fem_body" doesn't exist in a x3 or etc..? Still trying to learn all the lingo. I guess the better question would be, if I code something that where the hardware doesn't exist, it just won't do anything right? Want to confirm that it wouldn't corrupt anythying else.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #2191
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep

Quote:
Backups are worthless. You can restore any ECU to factory settings by activating original FA and VO Coding it.

I don't know what is confusing about ""ECU" specific vs Chassis specific". As an example, since NBT Head Unit ECU can be found installed in any Chassis (F30, F10, F15, etc.), you can use the Cheat Sheet for any chassis, and use it to code NBT ECU in any other chassis that has same ECU. Conversely, since FEM_BODY exists only in F2x/F3x chassis, you would not find it on F10 Cheat Sheet.
Ok that makes sense. As someone super new to all of this and the lingo, how do I know if a specific hardware is part of the car or not? For example, I wouldn't' know what "fem_body" is and wouldn't know if it was part of my x3 or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:42 PM   #2192
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok that makes sense. As someone super new to all of this and the lingo, how do I know if a specific hardware is part of the car or not? For example, I wouldn't' know what "fem_body" is and wouldn't know if it was part of my x3 or not.
Well, you can see from one Chassis Cheat Sheet to another what ECU's are common to both.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #2193
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well, you can see from one Chassis Cheat Sheet to another what ECU's are common to both.
got it, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 01:35 AM   #2194
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What exactly does VO stand for? That's def a peace of mind knowing that I don't have to worry about backing up.

For the pictorial step by step, you're talking about the guides within the E-sys documents correct?

The hardware specific thing makes sense to me. Is there a way to know something like, "fem_body" doesn't exist in a x3 or etc..? Still trying to learn all the lingo. I guess the better question would be, if I code something that where the hardware doesn't exist, it just won't do anything right? Want to confirm that it wouldn't corrupt anythying else.
Fahrzeugauftrag (FA) = German for Vehicle Order (VO)

Yes, PDF's.

For additional guides, tips, & acronyms, see this thread:

Fxx, Ixx, & Gxx Series Coding: Latest Software, Guides, and Tips

One way to know ECU's by chassis:

E-sys_CAFD_ID's_P3.59_v8.1F.pdf

If you look at top of CAFD, you will see FP (Vehicle Profile section):

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #2195
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep

Quote:
Fahrzeugauftrag (FA) = German for Vehicle Order (VO)

Yes, PDF's.

For additional guides, tips, & acronyms, see this thread:

Fxx, Ixx, & Gxx Series Coding: Latest Software, Guides, and Tips

One way to know ECU's by chassis:

E-sys_CAFD_ID's_P3.59_v8.1F.pdf

If you look at top of CAFD, you will see FP (Vehicle Profile section):

View post on imgur.com
really really stupid question, but where exactly is the port to plug the enet cable in on the car? Is it somewhere under the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #2196
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
really really stupid question, but where exactly is the port to plug the enet cable in on the car? Is it somewhere under the steering wheel?
View post on imgur.com

Note: Orientation varies by chassis, but this should show you basic, superior lateral location in footwell space.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #2197
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep

Quote:
View post on imgur.com

Note: Orientation varies by chassis, but this should show you basic, superior lateral location in footwell space.
Ok, what am I missing here? I connected to my car, did expert mode and coding and connected via vin. went into the right modules and changed certain ones to actif and werte = 01. saved, activated FA, coded and disconnected. No changes to the car.

Should I be doing something prior to going straight to coding in expert mode? Do I need to do a reset somehow for the car? So far I've coded the auto unlock via engine shut down and the fob close everything functions, but they haven't work.

shawnsheridan if you have any input.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #2198
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok, what am I missing here? I connected to my car, did expert mode and coding and connected via vin. went into the right modules and changed certain ones to actif and werte = 01. saved, activated FA, coded and disconnected. No changes to the car.

Should I be doing something prior to going straight to coding in expert mode? Do I need to do a reset somehow for the car? So far I've coded the auto unlock via engine shut down and the fob close everything functions, but they haven't work.

shawnsheridan if you have any input.
NOTE: "CODE" = VO Coding. "Code FDL" = FDL Coding
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #2199
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep

Quote:
NOTE: "CODE" = VO Coding. "Code FDL" = FDL Coding
Sorry, I believe I did do Code FDL, which is what I'm supposed to do right?

To test if my coding worked or not, should I be disconnecting completely/restarting the car at all? Or should it apply right away?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #2200
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I believe I did do Code FDL, which is what I'm supposed to do right?

To test if my coding worked or not, should I be disconnecting completely/restarting the car at all? Or should it apply right away?
90+% work immediately. Older software sometimes take a little while to take effect.

"Reading Coding Data" and check values are changed.
Appreciate 0