BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

how to fix "sticky" buttons on console/dash

So my wife did something to our X3, she says its coffee, and the #1 and #2 buttons on the dash no longer work properly (hard to push in and then will not go back into place) and the traction control button on the center console also is sticky in that it pushes very slowly and doesn't really pop back (instead of the button press feel it should have).

I am guessing that the substance (lets say it was coffee) got behind the button and created a sticky situation behind the buttons. I am also guessing going to BMW to fix it will cost $$$ because of the labor involved to take apart both panels (and the center console might require a new aluminum piece since I think its glued down).

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the sticky substance that is causing me headaches?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
trims are not glue and can be removed carefully
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

You let your wife drink coffee in the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Probably covered under warranty. Since you are not sure of the reason, could be defective part.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

Did your wife really spill coffee on t or not? If she did then I'm sure the dealer will see the brown stains and feel the sticky remains and then charge you for it.

Otherwise if she didn't and you are honest with the dealer and have no idea why the buttons are sticking the will fix it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

And to the op... Listen to the wise words of X men! Don't let the wife drink coffee in the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Mr Mech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 x35i Alpine/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
And to the op... Listen to the wise words of X men! Don't let the wife drink coffee in the car!
Seriously! Privileges revoked.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

I would rather my wife be happy than obsess over sticky buttons in my car caused by mistake.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I am guessing that the substance (lets say it was coffee) got behind the button and created a sticky situation behind the buttons. I am also guessing going to BMW to fix it will cost $$$ because of the labor involved to take apart both panels (and the center console might require a new aluminum piece since I think its glued down).

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the sticky substance that is causing me headaches?

I suggest looking up your car on realoem.com using the last 7 digits of your vin, look at how the parts fit together. The trim pieces are very easy to remove. You just need to take your time and be careful. You'll need a trim removal tool, which is sold in a 5 piece set, such as what you can find at harbor freight, a small screwdriver set, and a few thin towels to protect the plastic trim.

The assembly the buttons are housed in is very easy to disassemble. There are small springs on the back of the buttons, so be careful when you get the back cover off. The coffee residue can then easily be cleaned from inside the button assembly.

Good luck, and again take your time.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
I would rather my wife be happy than obsess over sticky buttons in my car caused by mistake.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:25 AM   #11
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men
Quote:
Hehe. Funny . I like it.
I used to be really into cars and things......then I just let it go. My car is still super clean.....but I no longer obsess over it and don't sweat the small stuff.....can't tell if it's all cars or just because I drive a diesel crossover.....but car ennui has set in at my house!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hehe. Funny . I like it.
I used to be really into cars and things......then I just let it go. My car is still super clean.....but I no longer obsess over it and don't sweat the small stuff.....can't tell if it's all cars or just because I drive a diesel crossover.....but car ennui has set in at my house!
Its nice to chat with someone with a sense of humor, some people just take these forums too serious. When I was younger, I was really into cars as well. I am still into cars, just not as much as I use to be. What I am obsess about is taking care of the stuff I owe, rather that would be a TV set, a watch or a car. I hate careless people who spill coffee all over things and have no respect for other people's property. I have no control over what my wife does in her own car, but when she is in my car, there is no eating or drinking.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
HighPlainsCruiser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 XDrive35i

Rubbing alchohol on a paper towel, enough to ooze behind the buttons, maybe a lot to ooze behind the buttons. Push the buttons while things are wet. Test a small portion of out of the way plastic first to make sure it doesn't do bad things to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsCruiser View Post
Rubbing alchohol on a paper towel, enough to ooze behind the buttons, maybe a lot to ooze behind the buttons. Push the buttons while things are wet. Test a small portion of out of the way plastic first to make sure it doesn't do bad things to it.
Thats a good idea, might want to try plastic safe contact cleaner at your local electronic store as well. It goes without saying, make sure your car is off while you are doing it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #15
wangt86
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 WRX, F25 X3, Lotus Elise

Quote:
Hehe. Funny . I like it.
I'm still into cars and I eat and drink in all the cars. I mean as long it's not like bbq ribs or something it'll be ok. 4 weeks ago I had a Wendy's frosty in my lotus elise (wife fed me).

Use like a clorox wipe or baby wipe to try to clean the buttons. Otherwise you have no choice and you're going to need to open it up. I remember a classmate who spilled soda into her keyboard. Even after a good cleaning outside the key would crunch everytime you pressed it. Took the keyboard off used rubbing alcohol and no more crunching. Whenever I was over I would go straight to her computer just to press the key that crunched just for fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
Toast
Private
Rep
Drives: X3.5m, A4 Avant

I would try spraying some contact cleaner and then try moving the buttons.

I'm anal about keeping my car clean but not about people getting it dirty.
My car is a tool not a museum piece. If you worry so much about it that you cant fully enjoy it go get a beater.
      05-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #17
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
If you worry so much about it that you cant fully enjoy it go get a beater.
Do you find it enjoyable when people spill coffee on your instrument panel?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #18
Toast
Private
Rep
Drives: X3.5m, A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Do you find it enjoyable when people spill coffee on your instrument panel?
I find it enjoyable to have a nice car that my family and friends can enjoy as much as I do without fretting the what ifs of getting it dirty. My milk spilling, cheerios eating 1 year old, active 6 year and coffee drinking wife are my witnesses.
      05-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #19
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I find it enjoyable to have a nice car that my family and friends can enjoy as much as I do without fretting the what ifs of getting it dirty. My milk spilling, cheerios eating 1 year old, active 6 year and coffee drinking wife are my witnesses.
May I suggest a minivan then, I think Honda makes one with a build in vaccum
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #20
BMW FINALLY!
Ultimate Driving Machine!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA. Too funny.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #21
BMW FINALLY!
Ultimate Driving Machine!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
I agree with you as well. Makes sense. Although I have no kids I think if I had kids I would be on the same level you are on.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #22
flavius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:

Do you have a stiff upper lip by any chance?