BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-25-2018, 11:12 PM   #1
Sfkjeld
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3

Low RPM shuddering

Between 1.5k and 3k, my 2008 X3 with manual 6sp, has had this shuddering which happens under acceleration. And on deceleration, a heavy clunking sound when slowing to a stop. I took the car to a BMW guy who said he found no problem with the transfer case. But I wonder. The car has nearly 100k now. Well maintained and conservatively driven. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #2
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Back to the transfer case again...lol. Here is how to confirm it: get under the car, unbolt the heat shield partially, unplug the transfer case actuator (there are 2 plugs), clear codes with ISTA/INPA (BUT NOTE DOWN PREVIOUS FAULT CODES...these may be in the history memory, but will not trigger the CEL). Then drive the vehicle and see if the clunking/shuddering is an issue still (no ABS, so be careful...4x4 light will be on). If it still happens, the you will have confirmed that transfer case is not the issue. As for what the issue can be: maybe driveshaft related or the giubo....to diagnose this, you'd need to put the entire vehicle in the air and drop the exhaust system (only takes a couple of seconds), then drop all the heat shields and test according to the service manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
Sfkjeld
Enlisted Member
Rep

Solved... what a pain

After going to two BMW mechanics who wasted my time and money, I finally just decided to replace the TC with a refurbished unit. After googling a full morning researching the best unit out there, I wound up with a rebuilder in Corona California. As part of my due diligence, I spoke with a few garages that have been using these units, and they raved about the work. $1000 delivered. Then it got crazy again. The huge disparity in R/R costs. From $600 to $2200, for the same job. The $600 estimate seemed ok, since the shop had been working on my friends Porsches and MBs for decades. But when they got into the job, they decided the exhaust bolts looks too fragile and they warned me they may break the bolts then need to drill out and tap new holes in order to get the exhaust back on. I backed out of it. Called the rebuilder asking him about this. His response was quick and clear. You don’t need to remove the exhaust, just a hanger bracket. He told me to come down to Corona and he’d do it in a few hours. So I did. Dropped it off at 9am, played 9 holes at a nearby golf course, the car was ready by noon! Drives like a new car now. The charge? $400 out the door.

Really recommend this Steven’s product and his work. He does transfer cases for X3 and X5s. Really nice guy too.

http://www.tcbmwx5.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfkjeld View Post
After going to two BMW mechanics who wasted my time and money, I finally just decided to replace the TC with a refurbished unit. After googling a full morning researching the best unit out there, I wound up with a rebuilder in Corona California. As part of my due diligence, I spoke with a few garages that have been using these units, and they raved about the work. $1000 delivered. Then it got crazy again. The huge disparity in R/R costs. From $600 to $2200, for the same job. The $600 estimate seemed ok, since the shop had been working on my friends Porsches and MBs for decades. But when they got into the job, they decided the exhaust bolts looks too fragile and they warned me they may break the bolts then need to drill out and tap new holes in order to get the exhaust back on. I backed out of it. Called the rebuilder asking him about this. His response was quick and clear. You don’t need to remove the exhaust, just a hanger bracket. He told me to come down to Corona and he’d do it in a few hours. So I did. Dropped it off at 9am, played 9 holes at a nearby golf course, the car was ready by noon! Drives like a new car now. The charge? $400 out the door.

Really recommend this Steven’s product and his work. He does transfer cases for X3 and X5s. Really nice guy too.

http://www.tcbmwx5.com/
Nice! Way better than the quote I was given ($4,000 total), and mechanic only wanted to use the one from oembimmerparts.com. I feel CA has a lot more reasonable repair support for BMW than the east coast does....lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
Sfkjeld
Enlisted Member
Rep

Log way from NY tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
Nice! Way better than the quote I was given ($4,000 total), and mechanic only wanted to use the one from oembimmerparts.com. I feel CA has a lot more reasonable repair support for BMW than the east coast does....lol.
The refurbished transfer case is $1000 shipped. You won’t find someone that will r/r for $400 am sure. But maybe $600-900. Just find someone that knows how to do it without removing the exhaust. Saves a lot of time and risk of broken exhaust bolts. To tell you the truth, I’ll bet Stephen would be happy to explain it whomever you get to do the work in NY.
Appreciate 0