BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #45
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

1 SE (again biased) but .... I still think the white M Sport at the Paris Motor Show with 20" alloys looks awesome. Much better than the Chicago titanium silver M Sport

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #46
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktjernstrom View Post
Hi,

I think the difference in appearance is quite the same that you get from a normal car, when fitting a lowered aftermarket suspension. As the difference from wheel arch to wheel gets smaller (as it does with the M-pack, at least visually), you need increasingly bigger wheels. A car that looks OK with 17" wheels stock will need 18" when lowered, and so on.

To me, the SE with 19" is still a more powerful and aggressive proposition than the M-pack, even with 19".

Just my 0.02$.

Karl
You've nailed it IMO Karl. That's why those 18s look small in the Chicago pics

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #47
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good observation indeed. And depnding on profile bigger wheels potentially adversely impact ride quality, fuel consumption, snow grip and road noise so although they look great there is the actual price and the compromise price as above. Complex stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #48
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Hi,

I think the difference in appearance is quite the same that you get from a normal car, when fitting a lowered aftermarket suspension. As the difference from wheel arch to wheel gets smaller (as it does with the M-pack, at least visually), you need increasingly bigger wheels. A car that looks OK with 17" wheels stock will need 18" when lowered, and so on.

To me, the SE with 19" is still a more powerful and aggressive proposition than the M-pack, even with 19".

Just my 0.02$.

Karl

Except in the pictures I posted, and sorry for not stating so, the sports suspension has been deleted, so they should be the same. I tried to make them as equivalent as possible. Both versions were spec'd with VDC - which negates sports suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #49
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive20d 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
Except in the pictures I posted, and sorry for not stating so, the sports suspension has been deleted, so they should be the same. I tried to make them as equivalent as possible. Both versions were spec'd with VDC - which negates sports suspension.
Hi,

I was actually referring more to the painted wheel arch extensions rather than the lowered suspension per se. I don't think the few mm lowered suspension will be visible to the naked eye without having an SE next to it for comparison.

But I agree it will further add to the visual effect...

Karl
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #50
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
1 SE (again biased) but .... I still think the white M Sport at the Paris Motor Show with 20" alloys looks awesome. Much better than the Chicago titanium silver M Sport

Well I agree, White looks great - I just can't stomach having a white car in rarely sunny, quite often overcast Britain
I like Black too, but I want a black interior (well I like the look of Oyster leather, but that's a non starter with kids IMO) - and I feel black exterion, black interion and sun protection glass, is just too foreboding.
So, I've ruled out white and black.

Don't like either of the blues, I'm not adventurous enough to go for red, although some of the recent pics look pretty good I have to say.

I've also recently ruled out Mineral Silver, I like it, but I'm slightly worried it's not going to look freat when a bit old.

So, I'm left with Space Grey, Titanium Silver really.
But M Sport or not to M Sport.

I agree wit comments re. looking less 4x4 - I said so myself earlier and/or in other threads. However, I think that is over-emphasised in these configurator photos, in all the real photos posted, M Sport looks a lot better IMO - I think this is because the configurator pics are angles as if you are on head height with the bottom of the window sill - i.e. too low, so you get an exaggerated/extended view of the sills and rear end.

I don't know, it's a very hard decision - I like the rest of the M Sport additions/changes. I'm think I'll go M Sport in the end.

A couple of dealers I spoke to (who knew I'd ordered at another dealer in their network, so had little self interest) - have suggest that most in the UK on the previous X3 3.0d and on the X5 - have bought the M Sport version - he thought resale was also better.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #51
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

I was actually referring more to the painted wheel arch extensions rather than the lowered suspension per se. I don't think the few mm lowered suspension will be visible to the naked eye without having an SE next to it for comparison.

But I agree it will further add to the visual effect...

Karl

Oh ok, yes that makes sense.
I played with the configurator fwiw, deleting/adding M Sport suspension and I couldn't see the difference at all - probably a deficiency in the configurator.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #52
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive20d 2011

Quote:
Well I agree, White looks great - I just can't stomach having a white car in rarely sunny, quite often overcast Britain
Think about how many times extra you can wash it for the incremental cost of metallic paint...

Then again, I'm biased, as I have a white one on order.

Karl
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #53
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah it's the dark wheel arches that make the wheels appear bigger. This is really clear if you compare 18s on an SE with the Chicago M Sport's 18s IMO.

It's a tough one alright marmite . Thankfully the decision never had to be made by me as there was no M Sport available when I ordered.

It sounds like you fancy the M Sport so go for titanium silver as it's closest to white. 19" alloys, black Nevada interior and a sunroof

Bear in mind those titanium silver pics are a bit artificial given all of the bright lighting at motor shows. You really need to see one in the flesh

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #54
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

I saw a Titanium silver SE over the w/e and liked it.
Also saw a Space Grey, it was very a scruffy demo, for whatever reason I think I liked it less.

Of course will not get to see either in M Sport spec. in the flesh soon and have already ordered, it's a question of whether I change my SE order to M Sport order and soon.

I have lots of options and have spent enough so will be settling for std. wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #55
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

The M could offer better value at resale as many of the extras we seek are built into the price and so tend to get a better valuation than individual add on extras. However, if the body kit does not appeal to a buyer / dealer that may not help come resale. The M aims the car at a younger audience with £30k+ in their pockets. A rarer breed?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #56
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

I agree how the black arches make the wheels look bigger.
However, if I go SE, I was planning on sticking with the stock 17"
Likewise if I go M Sport I was planning on sticking with the 18"

The SE 17" + black arches may still have better proportions, it's hard to know.

As I said above, the dealer said that most buy M Sport (with previous model), wasn't sure if I believed him - so I have just searched autotrader and there are an awful lot of old X3 M Sports there - in fact, ALL 10 of the 3.0d version for sale nationwide are M Sport versions!

Hmmmm...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #57
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

All of you will stay the M-Sport suspension? Is that suspension too hard?

Thinking to use the option "225 - Sport Suspension delete" to get the normal suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #58
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

If I go for M Sport, I'll be deleting.
I'm going to add VDC anyway, which removes sports suspension, but I'd delete anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #59
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Can anyone confirm if the sports suspension lowers the car? I thought so previously, but now am not so sure!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #60
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
so I have just searched autotrader and there are an awful lot of old X3 M Sports there - in fact, ALL 10 of the 3.0d version for sale nationwide are M Sport versions!

Hmmmm...
Maybe they can't shift them though marmite!

I think as it's a new model, it's not necessarily going to be the case this time round, particularly given some of the mixed feedback it's had so far

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #61
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Enough is enough (for now ) - I need to phone my dealer and change my colour choice, I order Mineral Silver, but have gone off it since. I was going to change the order to M Sport, but every time I look if I'm honest, I like the SE looks more.
So SE it is, and Titanium Silver I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #62
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Enough is enough (for now ) - I need to phone my dealer and change my colour choice, I order Mineral Silver, but have gone off it since. I was going to change the order to M Sport, but every time I look if I'm honest, I like the SE looks more.
So SE it is, and Titanium Silver I think.
+1 for Titanium Silver SE

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #63
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep

Welcome to the titanium silver SE order club!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 04:12 AM   #64
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Thought long and hard about Mineral Silver and Oyster, but decided to change to to White and Black interior once I changed my order to M-sport.

Really like mineral, but had one over the weekend as a loaner and thought it was a bit dull at the end of the day. Would definitely not go for mineral with the M-sport.

According to my dealer, and he was not sure, the ride height is unaltered with sport suspension, it's only stiffer. But he was going to check it out for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #65
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
Really like mineral, but had one over the weekend as a loaner and thought it was a bit dull at the end of the day. Would definitely not go for mineral with the M-sport.
Don't know about in Sweden, but in the UK Mineral Silver is not even an option if you opt for M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 05:14 AM   #66
marmite
Private First Class
Rep

Guys/Girls,

M Sport still on my mind!!
Please flame/critique the look of the M Sport pictures below!

It's kinda growing on me, but please shoot it down.
Appreciate 0