BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #1827
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

Thanks Shawn - appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #1828
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I've decided to dip my tow into the coding water!

I'm in the position as Spatch i.e. I have ProNav and want to code EBT. What it be possible for you to send me the link to the software download?

I will be using Parallels on a Mac, so what cable connector would be best to use - USB or RJ45?

Thanks, in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #1829
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb3 View Post
I've decided to dip my tow into the coding water!

I'm in the position as Spatch i.e. I have ProNav and want to code EBT. What it be possible for you to send me the link to the software download?

I will be using Parallels on a Mac, so what cable connector would be best to use - USB or RJ45?

Thanks, in advance
PM sent.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #1830
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Shawn
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 04:38 AM   #1831
paulgsm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320da

I can't find how to code Start/Stop Remember last option set by user (on or off) for NBT F15. I read some documents with coding info for NBT but i couldn't find in CAFDL: In Body Module - 3023 - TCM_MSA_MEMORY set to: aktiv.

for CIC

CAS => 3000 TC => TC_MSA_MEMORY => aktiv

but I need for NBT ...

Thx
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 08:16 PM   #1832
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Another coding session this evening.
Successfully coded closing mirrors/windows/roof with fob.
Disabled seat belt gong.
Added fog light to welcome light.

BTW, anyone upstate NY needs coding I'm more than happy to code for free.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #1833
elbman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Recent trip to the dealer wiped out the coding, and now getting "file for "cafd_00000794-014_040_152" not found! [C012]" when trying to read. I likely need to update, what is the process?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #1834
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: X3 30d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatch View Post
Hi,

I have just recently bought an X3 30d (registered in October 2013, UK model) and am very happy with it. The only thing I want that it doesn’t have, however, is enhanced Bluetooth with office.

I have the professional Nav system (609) and the hands free facility (6NH), and believe I need to change the 6NH option to 6NS.

I have read on this thread how to do it but I have never done this before so, as not to brick my new car, I am hoping that one of you gurus could review my procedure below and advise if I have understood it all correctly.

Follow your initial instructions:
1. ENET cable
2. E-Sys software 3.26.1 with EST token and Pin
3. psdzdata 54.2
4. A dedicated laptop with Windows 7 with minimum 16 GB of free space
And install.

Then use the document (E-Sys – How to change FA in F-series car.pdf), attachment, posted by ShawnSheridan in this post:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...65&postcount=9
for guidance.

I have the following question:
In step 6, it says delete/add FA from the SALAPA element. In my case, I assume I will see 6NH in the window and all I have to do is delete and replace with 6NS? Then just follow the instruction thereafter?

As I say, all I want to do in update to enhanced BT with office so do not want to do more than I have to, or risk any trouble.

I would also appreciate a link to the required software noted above.

Many thanks in advance.
Mark
Hi Shawn,

Regarding the above and my plans to code for EBT, my dealer has said that he thinks that it is not possible to just "code" for EBT, and he also stated that there was no hardware update to allow for EBT on my car either. In other words he is saying it is not possible, period.

Clearly, this is in direct contradiction to what I am reading on this thread. Is my dealer mis-informed?

Before I start any coding I want to be absolutely sure that it can be done without any hardware updates?

I have read your Beginner Guide to Coding and it seems quite straight forward.

Assuming I can code for EBT, once I have modifed the SALAPA in the FA and checked it (calc FP), and written it to the car, is that all there is too it?

I dont think there are any werte values or such like to change, just the 6NH to 6NS under SALAPA?

Then all there is to do is follow the steps on the final page (What Next?) to:
Read FA (VO)
Activate FA (VO)
READ SVT (...
Right click on ECU (in my case this would be right click the SALAPA element?)
Then select Code.

Will it then all work without further input and I will see Media option under my phone connection, and Office functions will work etc?

Many thanks for you help.
Mark
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #1835
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Shawn,

Regarding the above and my plans to code for EBT, my dealer has said that he thinks that it is not possible to just "code" for EBT, and he also stated that there was no hardware update to allow for EBT on my car either. In other words he is saying it is not possible, period.

Clearly, this is in direct contradiction to what I am reading on this thread. Is my dealer mis-informed?

Before I start any coding I want to be absolutely sure that it can be done without any hardware updates?

I have read your Beginner Guide to Coding and it seems quite straight forward.

Assuming I can code for EBT, once I have modifed the SALAPA in the FA and checked it (calc FP), and written it to the car, is that all there is too it?

I dont think there are any werte values or such like to change, just the 6NH to 6NS under SALAPA?

Then all there is to do is follow the steps on the final page (What Next?) to:
Read FA (VO)
Activate FA (VO)
READ SVT (...
Right click on ECU (in my case this would be right click the SALAPA element?)
Then select Code.

Will it then all work without further input and I will see Media option under my phone connection, and Office functions will work etc?

Many thanks for you help.
Mark
Why would you waste your time even discussing coding of car with Dealer? They know nothing about Coding.

It is very simple. If your car has Combox (either HU_CIC + CMB_MEDIA or HU_NBT or HU_ENTRYNAV) then you can have EBT.

To get EBT, you need only do as I wrote here

That's it.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #1836
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbman View Post
Recent trip to the dealer wiped out the coding, and now getting "file for "cafd_00000794-014_040_152" not found! [C012]" when trying to read. I likely need to update, what is the process?
PM sent.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #1837
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Why would you waste your time even discussing coding of car with Dealer? They know nothing about Coding.

It is very simple. If your car has Combox (either HU_CIC + CMB_MEDIA or HU_NBT or HU_ENTRYNAV) then you can have EBT.

To get EBT, you need only do as I wrote here

That's it.
They already knew I was looking for EBT on the car. I have HU_NBT.

OK, I understand most of that, but my question is regarding what ECU to code at the end? You say the HU_NBT ECU? Is that easily found?

Apologies if I am missing something obvious here, I havent connected to the car yet.

Thanks,

Last edited by Spatch; 03-16-2016 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 03:39 PM   #1838
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They already knew I was looking for EBT on the car. I have HU_NBT.

OK, I understand most of that, but my question is regarding what ECU to code at the end? If upgrading to EBT I am modifying the SAPALA element and I cannot see that it is connected to any ECU? Or do I just right click and code SAPALA?

Apologies if I am missing something obvious here.

Thanks,
You VO Code HU_NBT.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #1839
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
You VO Code HU_NBT.
Yes, I see now. I havent connected to the car yet but I see that the SVT step brings up the list of ECU's which I guess is where the HU_NBT will be.

I wanted to know exactly what I was doing before I started anything. Thanks for your info.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #1840
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Shawn,

One extra question please.

How long does the ebt upgrade process take, approximately? I have seen other posts about flashing ecu's where it is recommended that the engine is running or a battery charger attached. Is that required for the ebt upgrade?

Ta,
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #1841
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Shawn,

One extra question please.

How long does the ebt upgrade process take, approximately? I have seen other posts about flashing ecu's where it is recommended that the engine is running or a battery charger attached. Is that required for the ebt upgrade?

Ta,
EBT takes maybe 5 minutes to run the car. Point of running the motor though is to ensure adequate voltage on ECU's during coding. Don't leave it up to your battery. If voltage drops too low while writing data to ECU, you will corrupt the CAFD.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 02:45 AM   #1842
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
EBT takes maybe 5 minutes to run the car. Point of running the motor though is to ensure adequate voltage on ECU's during coding. Don't leave it up to your battery. If voltage drops too low while writing data to ECU, you will corrupt the CAFD.
Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 05:56 AM   #1843
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I have not been able to try out coding yet, as I waiting for a cable. However, as well as the excellent advice in this thread, the following F30 thread provides similar information:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...to_threadtools
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #1844
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

EBT Success

Well, I now have EBT, hurrah!!

Everything went smoothly and exactly as per instructions apart from the very last stage of coding to the ECU (when it got a bit nervy).

When clicking on the Coding tile I had a box pop up saying that the FA had been changed by another module, and did I want to load it, not load it or Cancel. I decided to load it.

Then when Read FA (VO), in the VO window it came up with something like 'cant read, need to update'.

Anyway, I still activated the FA, found HU-NBT under SVT and selected Code. It all went in ok and is working.

One thing on Bluetooth streaming from the phone, I cant access the folder structure or album contents etc. It only seems to play individual songs with the only option being next or previous tracks. I may need to look at this more but is this normal (i.e much fewer music navigation option than when reading directly from USB)?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #1845
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...One thing on Bluetooth streaming from the phone, I cant access the folder structure or album contents etc. It only seems to play individual songs with the only option being next or previous tracks. I may need to look at this more but is this normal (i.e much fewer music navigation option than when reading directly from USB)?...
Unless you have HU_NBT, then that is normal.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #1846
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
Unless you have HU_NBT, then that is normal.
Sorry, thats not clear to me. I do have HU_NBT, so that is not normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #1847
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry, thats not clear to me. I do have HU_NBT, so that is not normal?
With NBT, and >=50.4 firmware, you should be able to Browse via BT.

In HU_NBT, set these to akitv:

ENT_BTAS_BROWSING
ENT_BTAS_IAP_COVERART
ENT_BTAS_METADATA

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #1848
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
With NBT, and >=50.4 firmware, you should be able to Browse via BT.

In HU_NBT, set these to akitv:

ENT_BTAS_BROWSING
ENT_BTAS_IAP_COVERART
ENT_BTAS_METADATA
Thanks will do. Probably a stupid question but how do I establish the firmware of HU_NBT?
Appreciate 0