BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
GinyBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

First time BMW owner with a question.

Hello everyone!

I just picked up my first BMW and I am very excited about the car/SUV. I have been waiting for three weeks on this car and it finally arrived this past Saturday. My husband pushed for the BMW X3 28i because it handles the road better than Audi Q5. I am was going back and forth between the two...I like how BMW X3 drives, but to me, it's very sporty/manly. Audi Q5 on the other hand, to me, is sexier in it's appearance...I can't explain why. However, after thinking about which one i want for days, i decided to go with BMW X3. Now, I went with 28i because the 35i is just too large (longer) for me. I am short, and so having wide and long vehicle makes me nervous when I drive...too many blind spots. So, anyway, I went with a Vermilion Red color to make it look more sexier/feminine.

Now, i do have a quick question. I have 2nd generation Ipod Classic (which I love) and I have the tech package on my BMW. I can't get my Apple usb cord to work on my ipod, but I can get my ipod to work if i use the AUX cable, I can hear music, but cannot access playlist from the BMW Screen. I can only select songs from my ipod. Now, my husband has the color interface ipod (not sure of the gen series) and I used the apple cable and his play list shows up on the BMW screen. This lets me know that my apple cable is working fine. I have read on the forums that people who have 2nd gen ipod used the Y-cord which can allow them to access the playlist from BMW screen, but they all had 2012 X3 (not sure if it makes any difference). Others have said that it did not work. Will getting the Y-cable work on the 2nd gen ipod where i can get the playlist on the BMW screen? The reason why I am asking this is when I use the apple usb cable to connect to my BMW, my ipod says that its charging...so this makes me think that if I get the Y-cable, my ipod may be "charging" and I cant get access to the playlist on the ipod itself nor the BMW screen.

by the way, i am sorry if I called something/items incorrectly...not really sure that the BMW screen is called or if the cable name is correct.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Now since you have bought X3, so better enjoy it. Many a times it has been discussed if SUVs are manly but no conclusion could be drawn as new generation cars do not need strength to handle them. Looks are always deceptive. If you are enjoying it, forget about this silly question.

SFax is expert on your iPod question, feel lucky if he answers you.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

I use my iPod classic with a Y-cable and access coverart and playlists in the car's display using iDrive. I have the 6NK option for enhanced USB interface but I think the iPod's playlists should work the same with 6NH.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

I thought the 35i and 28i were the same size. Is that not true?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
tr7372
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
I thought the 35i and 28i were the same size. Is that not true?
Yes, the 28i and 35i are exactly the same lenght and width:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

Of course the 35i weighs about 100 lbs more. There are many reasons to choose between the 28i and 35i (discussed elsewhere in this forum), but length/width isn't one of them.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
GinyBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

I actually do enjoy my BMW now. I don't know why the hesitation in the beginning. Now, you can't get me out of the car!

Fryguy29, yes. 28i and 35i are the same size, but i meant X3 vs. X5. Sorry about the mistake. I was reading the forums for a while and it got late and so i posted with the wrong comparison information.

NordicBMW, it's interesting that you say using the Y-cable works with X3. What generation of iPod are you using? Also, when you plug in the USB of the Y-cable to the ipod, does your ipod say "Do not disconnect" meaning that it's charging?

Last edited by GinyBMW; 08-28-2012 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: added information.
Appreciate 0