BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 BMW newbie

How Long Is Your...?

I am sure we all heard this one before. Anyway when it comes to your 3M paint protector...how much hood should the 3M product cover? Recently, I decided to get my 2 week old X3 covered with some paint protection. At a minimum, I wanted to get the hood, fenders and tailgate lip covered. The headlights/fog lights was also added at the last minute.

I called 3 installers to get quotes...then I decided to go with an approved 3M installer which was middle of the pack in pricing. I asked the usual questions...are you using 3M? are you certified? and are you using the 3M template to laser cut the pieces.

Unfotunately, when I came back to pickup my car I was very disappointed. The invisible bra appeared to be ... more like a tiny bikini.

1. The hood piece was only 8inch in depth so very little hood covered.
2. One of the foglights cutout wasn't even a proper circle...I suspect cut from left overs.
3. The fender pieces stopped 1 inch before the wheel well...I would think it should cover all the paint to the egde.
4. The tailgate piece seemed short...as opposed to going right to the curves of gate.
5. The headlight covers were the only pieces that looked fine and appeared to be a perfect cut.

I will try to post pics shortly. Any thoughts from those of you that had the job done?

Last edited by BBMk; 12-09-2011 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: add pics
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

post pics... usually 3M has 18" bikini cut or 24" straight cut. I lined up with mine to have the 24" installed.

I would definently take it in to get it redone... whats the warranty on it?
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I will get more pics tomorrow...unfortunately I suck at taking photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

Wow, I am sorry I would not be happy with that at all. In Dallas I have a guy that dose a complete custom job. Kits are not bad but you will always end up with lines and short cuts. I would try to find a custom installer. My guy pulls the front gills refectors before the job and make sure all lines are hidden. Bumper & front head lights are under $500.00 depending on the car. IN the USA. www.invisibra.net look at his work and has helpfull info on his site. My only problem you are paying alot of $$$$$$ not to see the clear bra on the car.

Last edited by FASTTOYS; 12-10-2011 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

http://www.customautoshield.com/

This guy lists all the kits that are supplied by 3M on our X3's.

Your kit- looks like a hand job that was cut and one right on the car. I'd make sure no cuts were made into the paint when they did that shit job.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Compared to the job on mine, yours does look inferior. For eg, in the two pictures you posted, mine goes over 14" up hood from kidney grilles, and mine goes right into wheel well.

Not sure what your recourse is at this point. Can't hurt to ask for a better job.
      12-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Immediately after the install, I told the manager the job was poor. He reassured me that he does jobs for several BMW and Mercedes dealerships. He also said if I had my job done at the dealership I purchased my car the job would be worse because he knows the installer does bad work. (I think its totally unprofessional to make that statement about other people since it's his work that's questionable. ) My view is he tried to put a "car" installation on a SUV. This installer was recommended on a popular VW/Audi forum.

I was very specific with the shop that I wanted the X3 - 3M template installed on my car. I never haggled him on price...so it's not like I tried to force him to install less material on my car.

My view is with forums like Xbimmer etc. it's hard to pull a fast one over people and get away with it. My only recourse is to give him bad press and warn other potential buyers. I also asked 3M for help since the shop is a listed(or claims to be)an authorized 3M installer.

I will give him a chance on Monday to settle on something reasonable. I basically want some of the money back on the job so I can get the job done properly elsewhere. He won't lose because the 3M material is not that expensive...its more the labour cost in the job.
Appreciate 0