BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Cinturato P7

I finally managed to go see a pre-PDI X3. I really enjoyed the experience. I am polishing a couple of pictures, though the car was just off the truck and thus still dirty and full of snow. I'll post more significant pictures when it is buffed. One thing stands out for me: pictures don't do the X3 any justice: its presence and the feeling of the X3 are a multisensorial experience that needs to be appreciated in person. I can't wait to test drive it.

I noticed that the tires mounted on the car were Pirelli Cinturato P7, consistent with other pictures - but identified, on Pirelli's site, as summer only while the tires clearly say all-season:

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca...turato_p7.html

I was told by my CA that these tires will be OK for sub-freezing temperatures, and that's what I'll drive in my upcoming test drive.

Why the disconnect? Are the P7 all-season tires or are they summer tires only? Do you have any recommendation on winter tires - besides the standard BMW recommendation and/or any comment on this?

I'm not a fan of changing tires and wheels but... I may consider it as we have snow for at least 4 months. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

That is weird…they clearly say all season on the tire, and Pirelli and tirerack state the P7 is a summer tire…maybe they are a new all season version of the P7? Their focus seems to be on eco-friendliness so I could see how they could expand that concept to all season tires too.

Last edited by fedinand; 02-02-2011 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

If you should have real winter tires go for nokian or conti winter conntact 5.
Use them myself (conti) on my old x3 awesome grip on snow and ice compared to MS tires who actually is summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
mike185
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 X28i ; M235i xdrive Convert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
That is weird…they clearly say all season on the tire, and Pirelli and tirerack state the P7 is a summer tire…maybe they are a new all season version of the P7? There focus seems to be on eco-friendliness so I could see how they could expand that concept to all season tires too.
my car has the P7 and they are all-season I believe they are new tires and tire rack don't have the full spec on them
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
2011x335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X335I

I am having the same problem. My P7's don't even say All Season. I ordered the car in late November and received the car January 2. The dealership claims the one they have there is All Season, I am really confused. The ones I have are pretty useless on snow. Stupid of BMW to sell performance tires on an SAV. I already have a sports car, I bought this as a winter car.

Last edited by 2011x335i; 02-03-2011 at 01:28 AM..
Appreciate 0