BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
periwinkle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Dealership strangely silent on my order

Ordered x3 3.5 on March 27th. Dealership initially said May production date (generally, nothing specific) and hasn't given me a production number yet. I called last week and they said they're noticing 3.5s aren't coming in and other dealerships have experienced the same thing. But they said BMW hasn't issued any delay bulletins. (When I ordered, they said the tsunami shouldn't affect production, but now it looks like it might be.) Is it normal to not have a production number or specific delivery date a month after order? I'm not getting as much information as the folks on the delay thread have been. Not a big deal in light of the horrible storms people have been going through, just curious.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

I'm in your same area and ordered on April 18th, not sure what dealer you ordered from, but I'm on the Eastside. It's not even been 2 full weeks yet so I wasn't expecting for it to go into production yet, but I wasn't sure when it would go into production so I emailed the dealer earlier this week to ask about what production week my X3 has allocated... I also asked if there were any delays due to the Japan disaster.

Before I placed my order, I would get an email response from the CA in less than 5 mins. Now that I've ordered and asked what production week, I only got one response all week saying that his internet is out and he'd get back to me... few days later, still hadn't heard from him. So yesterday I sent another reminder email to see what's up... still no response. hmmm...

Let me know if you hear anything... I'll keep you posted as well if I hear back on my vehicle status.

BTW: I was told it would be 7-8 weeks until delivery, no production week, just that time frame to get the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

When I ordered, I was given a "Vehicle Inquiry Report" that show; what my exact build was, a production number, status number and week of build number. Your CA can give your status. To say there are no production delays is wrong. Just look at the different threads.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle View Post
Ordered x3 3.5 on March 27th. Dealership initially said May production date (generally, nothing specific) and hasn't given me a production number yet......
Wait a minute? no production number? I was given that the day I ordered. it's in the upper left hand corner of the order form print out. I am able to track my vehicle with that number, mine says On Order still. Are you sure you don't have a production number? Do you mean production week?

I don't have a production week yet, that's what I'm trying to find out.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
When I ordered, I was given a "Vehicle Inquiry Report" that show; what my exact build was, a production number, status number and week of build number. Your CA can give your status. To say there are no production delays is wrong. Just look at the different threads.
Yeah got that, able to track online but don't have a production week.

My Status on the Vehicle Report Inquirey says - 112 - Scheduled for daily production pack...

Anybody know what that means?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Understand 112 is one step away from 150 "Production started". Get that and you are safe!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Understand 112 is one step away from 150 "Production started". Get that and you are safe!
Woo hoo! thanks for the info! Hope that means sooner than later
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I ordered on April 18th with a week 19 build slot. My order is still at 112 status. Dealer says they are still saying everything is on track for week 19. We'll see. By the way, he did give me my production number the day I ordered the vehicle so I can track it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Guess what???!! Just checked my order and it says the vehicle is in production!!!! Scheduled completion date of May 9th! Wahooooo!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
mizzou81
Mizzou81
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i

To check on status of production is there a 1-800 NUMBER to call?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

BMW phone #
(800) 831-1117
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
mizzou81
Mizzou81
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i

Radioactive - That was great...I called the number...my 3.5 Black Sapphire/ Oyster with M Package X3 is in the paint shop...it will be finished May 3rd. I've heard so much about delays...I ordered on 4/1/11...how much faster can they build them!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Guess what???!! Just checked my order and it says the vehicle is in production!!!! Scheduled completion date of May 9th! Wahooooo!!!
Wow, Congrats WTT!

No luck for me though... just called the 800 number above and got this message about mine.

"your vehicle is scheduled for production with no confirmed production date yet"

Still haven't heard back from the dealer either.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabian View Post
Wow, Congrats WTT!

No luck for me though... just called the 800 number above and got this message about mine.

"your vehicle is scheduled for production with no confirmed production date yet"

Still haven't heard back from the dealer either.
Sabian, I called Friday night and had your same message. I called today expecting the same message and low and behold it had changed to in production!!! Even the website changed to "in production". I was so excited! Bet it won't be long now for you either! Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #15
periwinkle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all the info! I ordered from Seattle dealership. I definitely do not have a production number or date - I've been asking the sales guy for both for a month now. He still says he doesn't know anything about the status. I will check my order documents and see if there is something there. I'm feeling more optimistic based on the progress you are seeing.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks for all the info! I ordered from Seattle dealership. I definitely do not have a production number or date - I've been asking the sales guy for both for a month now. He still says he doesn't know anything about the status. I will check my order documents and see if there is something there. I'm feeling more optimistic based on the progress you are seeing.
Your CA is giving you a line of crap saying he doesn't know the status! He can check it at any time! Call in and ask to speak directly to the sales manager. Tell him you have one on order and would like your production number as well as your build slot (week). I would let the sales manager know that your CA isn't giving you the info. Mine told me I could call him every day for updates if I wanted! Your's could be in production by now!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #17
ItsAlwaysSunnyInSeattle
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Ohs no, hope I'm not being taken for a ride.

I just ordered my x35i yesterday, but I headed to a dealer south of where I live for a variety of reasons. I didn't get a production number or anything like that, though my CA assured me that I would get a bunch of stuff via email tomorrow. I sure hope that I'm not going to be taken for the preverbial ride, because I really liked what I test drove and have been obsessing about getting one for nearly a month now.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #18
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAlwaysSunnyInSeattle View Post
I just ordered my x35i yesterday, but I headed to a dealer south of where I live for a variety of reasons. I didn't get a production number or anything like that, though my CA assured me that I would get a bunch of stuff via email tomorrow. I sure hope that I'm not going to be taken for the preverbial ride, because I really liked what I test drove and have been obsessing about getting one for nearly a month now.
Obsessing for only a month??!! I've been obsessing on this vehicle for over a year I'm sure you'll info will come via email just like you CA said. Congrats on your order!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #19
periwinkle
Enlisted Member
Rep

ItsAlwaysSunny, let me know what type of info you get via email. I requested an order confirmation by email because salesman said he would put in my order after I left, and received via email a typed list of options I had ordered and my purchase price. I expected a more formal order confirmation from BMW, which I have never gotten. I'm sure your purchase will be fine though!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
periwinkle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, I spoke with the dealership again. They confirmed I am one of a handful of X3 3.5 orders hanging out there with no production number. They're concerned about it and will let me know when it is issued. Hoping for a June production now.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
cer2225
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
Well, I spoke with the dealership again. They confirmed I am one of a handful of X3 3.5 orders hanging out there with no production number. They're concerned about it and will let me know when it is issued. Hoping for a June production now.
That means they have no slots available. I would call another dealership. They have been playing you. Anyone that lies to me like that would never get my business. I don't care how good a deal they promised.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #22
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cer2225 View Post
That means they have no slots available. I would call another dealership. They have been playing you. Anyone that lies to me like that would never get my business. I don't care how good a deal they promised.

Good Luck.
I don't think it's quite that serious. The only way I can see Peri may have been "lied to" is if the dealer said May production, and they knew that such a prod date was not available to them. If they said something like "we're hoping for May production", then I don't think the dealership has really done much wrong here. At this stage, other dealers may or may not have available slots. If no slots, Peri is better off staying with the dealer he/she has.

The global demand for the new X3 has basically swamped the SC plant. Not everyone can get a prod slot right away, some buyers will have to wait (as they are waiting in the UK or Australia). It's just basic supply and demand. BMW should be so lucky with all their models. I just hope they don't "rush" production too much, and start to make problems for themselves and the buyers. I would rather wait a bit, and get a vehicle made properly.