BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Saris Bones cycle carrier - anyone using?

I've got a Saris Bones 3 cycle carrier that I used to mount on my Audi A5. Has anyone used one of these on an F25 X3 yet?

Only had my car 4 days so I'm slightly reluctant to experiment at this point.
      10-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey X3 28i

Thanks for the thread. We are also very interested in bicycle options other than rooftop. Disappointed the hitch possibilities are few and expensive. Didn't want to resort to strap type carrier on a premium car. But, may have to.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Works great! I did mount a bracket below the bumper so I could lock the rack to the car and I did use clear protection tape at all the attachment points to protect the finish.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Radioactive, you're a star, Mate. Just what I wanted to see. Can also see you've stuck with the original hooks rather at the top rather than the "hatch huggers" or whatever Saris call 'em.

Great stuff. I feel confident to give mine a try now

I've got the same colour combos for the X3 and the Bones, too.
      10-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Bravo to Radioactive.

I have the same Saris Bones rack, as well as XPEL adhesive on the bumper. I mount the rack exactly the same way, as well. Saris had advised me to mount the lower legs on each side of the license plate (back when the F25 was brand new). I chose to put the lower legs on the rear bumper as shown in the picture - very stable.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Damage paint?

I always felt that these mounting options (on any car) would damage the paint where the straps rub and the various plastic connectors. Granted, the biggest scratch-factor is leaving it on for an extended time, but still, I just hate having anything against paint.

I'm getting the roof mount as ridiculous as it may look, there's no contact with the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Thanks Radioactive. You are right on time. We have the same color X3 as well. We may be going this route as the roof is out and hitch options are too expensive and/or complex. I wish the Saris Bones RS would work, but Saris says no. Paint protection is a must. What kind of tape do you use? Does it peel off or do you just keep it in place?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by married w/X3 View Post
Thanks Radioactive. You are right on time. We have the same color X3 as well. We may be going this route as the roof is out and hitch options are too expensive and/or complex. I wish the Saris Bones RS would work, but Saris says no. Paint protection is a must. What kind of tape do you use? Does it peel off or do you just keep it in place?
The only tape I could find at the local auto supply was "Trimbrite Clear Bodyguard". I just keep it in place. I placed over sized pieces at all the contact points including under the straps where they meet the "spoiler" So far so good. I have not seen any yellowing and it is pretty inconspicuous unless you are up close to it. The only problem I found, is that the tape does not stick very well curving it around the door edges and inside wields. I then install flat pieces to the door edges
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree - tape is a must.

I only used the Bones twice on my A5 and it left some horrible rubbed patches on the boot (trunk) lid even though I'd cleaned both the car and the Bones feet beforehand.

Won't be making that mistake again.
      10-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by married w/X3 View Post
I had an XPEL strip (professionally) installed on the top of my rear bumper even before I put on the bike rack. Because there is no rubber strip there, like most other SUVs, it would have probably have gotten scratched by my dog, or when I was loading stuff into the cargo area.

XPEL is like a 3M film and almost unnoticeable.

Think I might re-visit the installer and have him put small strips at the bike rack contact points.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Thanks Radioactive and everyone for the tape suggestions. Feel much better about a Saris rack now...though I still wish for an X3 tow bar mounted rack.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Legaleagle4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

After an unsucessful attempt to use an interior bike carrier (bikes were just too big), I ordered the Thule fit kit and was then able to re-use all of the other components I had purchased for my 2008 335XI. I usually carry two bikes and mount the detached front wheels on the bike rack. I also convert over to ski/snowboard carrier in winter. I have not seen any marks on the roof rails when I remove the rack.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

I use the Saris bones on my F25.
I mount it higher with the feet on the number plate so that I can get to the tow hitch when towing a caravan. This also allows me to open the boot door (cargo compartment access door to others) with the Saris still in position.

To prevent paint rubbing (or feet rubbing) the paintwork, I simply put some pieces of towelling under the straps where they come into contact with the bodywork. This has always worked in the past when I have towed upto 2000 miles with 2 heavy old fashioned bikes on the back.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
bazan
Rep
Drives: 2014 328GT Sport

Hi I have the 2013 X3 and the Saris Bone 3 bicycle carriers... I am just wondering if anyone have tried carrying 3 bikes.... I do have the "glass huggers" , but instruction manual advise 2 bikes (instead of 3) if using the glass huggers. I read it many times and seems to me this warning is more for those with hooks actually mounting on "glass" or plastic trims.... for the X3 the only concern is really the "spoiler lip" bearing some of the weight. The reason I am asking is I have 2 adult bikes and one kid 20" bike that I am looking to carry... and I do not want to wast my Saris and purchase a hitch...

the last thing I want is to put 3 bikes on and the spoiler etc. fell off on the highway

Anyone? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
BMWLVX
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d

Has anyone had problems with the cops when using this rack? i.e. license plate not visible.
Rogerbu, is your plate visible when you mount the rack in the higher position?
      08-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
married w/X3
1st time BMW owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLVX View Post
Has anyone had problems with the cops when using this rack? i.e. license plate not visible.
Rogerbu, is your plate visible when you mount the rack in the higher position?
Check this post for a Saris alternative. http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...55&postcount=4
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
flexfft
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3er

just picked up the roof rack attachment and hitch rack from 1upusa.com but haven't had a chance to fit either of them yet..need to get the hitch installed on the x3 first. they look solid though and get good reviews over at forums.mtbr.com
Appreciate 0