BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-12-2016, 01:18 AM   #23
hoho_leung
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

gas mileage also depends on the gas itself. In California, the amount of ethanol and other chemical make the gas burn much cleaner. But also produce 10% less mpg than many states.

I have no experience driving the same car in different state and California, so I cannot compare. But according to my friend who drove across 20 states with the same bimmer, 10% more/less in different states are absolutely true.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #24
Austin_Bo
@austin_van_bogh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
I have 6,000 miles on my 2016 X3. The gas mileage I observed improved after a couple thousand miles. My overall average over the last couple thousand miles in mixed driving (70% highway, mostly at 70 to 75 mph) is 24.3 mpg according to the trip computer. Driving at 80 mph, lower quality fuel, cold weather and hilly terrain may reduce fuel economy. I would expect fuel economy of 24 mpg or better at a steady 80 mph on a level road after break-in.
That's reassuring to hear - thanks for the response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
As mentioned in my 5 Sep 2015 reply above, a host of variables come into play for gas mileage results. Aside from the more obvious variables of speed, vehicle load (weight), altitude, and grade, even driving style (coasting to stops vs braking through a short distance) can affect mileage. I usually average slightly better miles/gal better in my 2012 X3-35i than my wife in her 2015 X3-35i LCI over the same routes, but even that doesn't take into account differing traffic conditions such as stop/start frequency and duration of stops we may encounter along the way. I'm reattaching the formal graph of our two X3 35i's performance curves here (same as posted in my 'Horsepower & Speed - the Graph' thread) just as a reference for our two X3s.

If you can calculate your mpg strictly for your highway cruise time and then separately for your city driving it might assist you in sorting out the actual impact of each style.
This is very interesting, thank you for sharing. On my way to work yesterday, I tried to limit the amount of variables as best as possible. It's about 15 mile stretch of relatively flat highway. I set the cruise to 80 with no interruption, and reset the trip computer once I was at cruising speed. I averaged about 22.6 MPG. That's not terrible, but hopefully it improves with vehicle break in as Mike indicated. I'm running the staggered setup with 275s in the rear. Wondering if that might prevent me from seeing numbers that other posters have seen.
2017 X3 35i || M-Sport || Carbon Black Metallic, Oyster
2014 328d || Sport Line || Mineral Gray Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #25
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

You need to know how to milk a turbo, i drive a Saab as well as an X3 35i and there is an art to it. Once up to speed on a freeway, breathe the throttle a touch, just a touch, revs will stay nearly the same but the turbo will often go off boost. This is much easier on my Saab as it has turbo boost guage but the same applies ot the X3. You drop maybe 2 or 3 MPH but drink significantly less gas.

Took a long drive in the X3 today, I find it EXTREMELY thirsty. My 9-3 wagon, admittedly lighter and 90HP shy of the X3, will roll on the freeway at 75MPH at 33 MPG, the X3 gets 27. In the city, Saab gets 18 whilst the X3 gets 15.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #26
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Bo View Post
This is very interesting, thank you for sharing. On my way to work yesterday, I tried to limit the amount of variables as best as possible. It's about 15 mile stretch of relatively flat highway. I set the cruise to 80 with no interruption, and reset the trip computer once I was at cruising speed. I averaged about 22.6 MPG. That's not terrible, but hopefully it improves with vehicle break in as Mike indicated. I'm running the staggered setup with 275s in the rear. Wondering if that might prevent me from seeing numbers that other posters have seen.
Looking at the graph I posted, 22.6 is about what one would expect at 80mph (I didn't assess at 80mph during my trials). As we don't have a slippery Cd (about 0.35 now), we have a pretty good-sized box to push through the air so I suspect the slope of that graph becomes steeper at the higher speeds. This is where I'm hoping the G01 will really shine as I would expect the blades, breathers, and vents to improve the Cd to around 0.32 (or so I hope).

For completeness, if you get a chance measure your mpg on the way back over those same 15 miles. That would assist in making sure there isn't a grade issue (slight up or down over those 15 miles). If different you can average the two to remove grade from the equation (assuming all else is equal when you do).

And one other point - tire pressure. I was in a hurry on one 300 mile trip and didn't check the tires. My mpg was about 1 mpg less than I usually get so I checked, and sure enough, my pressures were 4 psi less than recommended. I actually keep them about 2 psi over rec when going on long Interstate trips if dry weather is expected.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #27
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3. 98 M3. 11 1M

Just picked up a 17 M sport 35 with handling pkg must have option.
Wife was getting 18.5 mpg around town but she's a lead foot. I just got 25.5 on a 700 mile trip going 75-80 mph including 3 hours of stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 0