BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #23
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I just swapped out the halogen bulbs on my fogs last night using LEDs I had sitting around from my E92. The X3 happens to use the same bulbs as the pre LCI E92 angel eyes so it was plug and play and error free. The bulbs I used are pricey, I think around $150, so cheaper ones might be out there. And since the ones I used are designed for AEs I'm guessing other bulbs would have a better light distribution since these direct the light sideways.

With that being said, they are amazing and look great. No more yellow halogen look and when they light up as turning lights it's very noticeable. Prior to installing them I didn't even know the X3 had turning lights.

I had to modify the fog light housing to accommodate the LEDs. It was simple and took about five minutes... again, my thoughts are that this was more because mine are designed as AE bulbs and have built in fans so they didn't clear the rear shielding.
      12-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #24
alpwhite46
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i Mpkg

Lets see the back of the car with them on?

I thought about this but its just quite a bit of money for reverse lights that you barely use haha
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 07:06 PM   #25
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
Prior to installing them I didn't even know the X3 had turning lights.

Funny story, when I first got my car, I thought my fog lights were malfunctioning. I kept wondering why one fog light would randomly turn on, until I realized that one side of the fog light turns on when you use the turn signals.

With this YouTube, video the fog light bulb looks exactly like the xenon headlight bulbs. Around the 2:37 mark.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 11:35 PM   #26
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

So I replaced my halogen H8 Fog Light bulb with these,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252394038857

Unfortunately, one they throw the iDrive error due to it being less wattage than the halogens and two, they are similar color to the xenon bulbs, so when I turn them on, you can't really tell the difference. But overall I like the white color bulb look, so I guess I'll keep them seeing as I don't use my fog lights to begin with.
Appreciate 0