BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-15-2015, 02:16 AM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

So I changed out my reverse bulbs to LED's

First photo is the stock halogen ones.

Next one's the 921 Philips LED's, which look like this:

And then I tried a pair of 3535 chipset LED's from Ebay, that look like this:

The Philips bulbs throw an error code unfortunately, so I'll have to get it coded out, or go the resistor route, if I'm going to keep it. The 3535's are advertised as being CANBUS compatible/error free, and so far, after an hour of driving, and a few backups, have actually not thrown an error!

No surprise I think that the Philips bulbs, due to their odd design, throw the light back the farthest. Notice how you can see the big tree in the background, on the right of the no parking sign, with the Philips ones?

Whereas with the 3535's, it's a more general spread, so you can see the ground more and the spread is wider also.

I'm thinking I'll stick with the Philips, as more distance and projection I figure is better for backing up, than a spread.... Though lighting up the ground that well works really well for the rear view camera I have to say!

Thoughts? Which would you go with / have you if you've done this?
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus99; 10-15-2015 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: The 3535 bulb does NOT throw an error code anymore!
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 04:36 AM   #2
Mr Comfort
Owner/ Operator
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3 35i

Garage List
2012 X3  [0.00]
I thought the last picture was the best for backing up, I want to see whats around.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:11 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Comfort View Post
I thought the last picture was the best for backing up, I want to see whats around.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 02:03 AM   #4
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Update: Yep, I switched back and forth again tonight to compare them, and I agree with you, the wider light throw is more useful, and closer to the stock halogen bulb beam pattern too.

The odd thing is that maybe 1 out of 5 drives, the bulb out warning message does appear, though it goes out midway thru my drive. So their CANBUS thing isn't perfect...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #5
derriktr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i XDrive

Garage List
Might as well just code them...

I swapped out all of my exterior and interior lights with LEDs. Coding is hands down the best way to do it.

Remember that when you code the X3 has options for each light as to whether or not "...IS LED". (I've noticed that when changing this setting for all of the lights I've replaced, it automatically adjusted my blinker speed to a bit faster, which was quite interesting)

Having said that, looks great and enjoy! If you need any help with coding, let me know either through here or with a PM.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriktr View Post
I swapped out all of my exterior and interior lights with LEDs. Coding is hands down the best way to do it.

Remember that when you code the X3 has options for each light as to whether or not "...IS LED". (I've noticed that when changing this setting for all of the lights I've replaced, it automatically adjusted my blinker speed to a bit faster, which was quite interesting)

Having said that, looks great and enjoy! If you need any help with coding, let me know either through here or with a PM.
Appreciate the offer! The LED setting, that means that you can pick it, without having to code out the "bulb out" checking?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
derriktr
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Appreciate the offer! The LED setting, that means that you can pick it, without having to code out the "bulb out" checking?

I coded out the cold and warm checks regardless to be honest. I tried to just use the "IS LED" but the error was still there. In my observation the "IS LED" option just pushes less voltage to the bulb as well as from my casual observance (read: unscientific) speeds up the turn signals to offset the dim on/off warm up that halogen turn signals have.

The LED bulbs I used have a lifespan of 50,000+ hours which is longer than I'll prolly have the car.

I think those Philips ones are guaranteed to last 12 years too (Won't go bad before you or I subsequently sell the vehicle). That's what's on the packaging of my brake lamp Philips LEDs.

To be honest, I was pretty upset that a car that cost 58k new didn't have LED bulbs all around, even though it's a 2011. Not to mention those tacky as hell yellow interior lights that I replaced as well.... I digress.
      10-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I coded out the cold and warm checks regardless to be honest. I tried to just use the "IS LED" but the error was still there. In my observation the "IS LED" option just pushes less voltage to the bulb as well as from my casual observance (read: unscientific) speeds up the turn signals to offset the dim on/off warm up that halogen turn signals have.

The LED bulbs I used have a lifespan of 50,000+ hours which is longer than I'll prolly have the car.

I think those Philips ones are guaranteed to last 12 years too (Won't go bad before you or I subsequently sell the vehicle). That's what's on the packaging of my brake lamp Philips LEDs.

To be honest, I was pretty upset that a car that cost 58k new didn't have LED bulbs all around, even though it's a 2011. Not to mention those tacky as hell yellow interior lights that I replaced as well.... I digress.
Thanks. If I get around to coding, I'll use those tips.

On your last comment, I totally agree, and am really disappointed. I can only presume it's some cost cutting measure, as it makes no sense to me. There's a bunch of cheap-outs they've done on lighting. My 2008 E93 335 and my 2010 535 wagon both have more lighting options than this car does, which considering it's a 2014, and on a fully loaded 35 model to boot, is assinine to have gone backwards in features. I've noticed them all because I really miss them.

1 - No adaptive headlights
2 - There's no cornering light that comes on when you turn at lower speeds
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
derriktr
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. If I get around to coding, I'll use those tips.

On your last comment, I totally agree, and am really disappointed. I can only presume it's some cost cutting measure, as it makes no sense to me. There's a bunch of cheap-outs they've done on lighting. My 2008 E93 335 and my 2010 535 wagon both have more lighting options than this car does, which considering it's a 2014, and on a fully loaded 35 model to boot, is assinine to have gone backwards in features. I've noticed them all because I really miss them.

1 - No adaptive headlights
2 - There's no cornering light that comes on when you turn at lower speeds
They took out cornering lights? O_o

That makes absolutely no sense. I remember reading about that and then getting them on my '11 and am still loving it!
      10-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They took out cornering lights? O_o

That makes absolutely no sense. I remember reading about that and then getting them on my '11 and am still loving it!
Tell me about it. I just saw your video of it working in the other post... In the 3 series, it's a little bulb in the headlight housing.

I'm really puzzled now how you seem to have it. Do you have adaptive headlights?

In my 3 series manual, in the index it's called "Corner-illuminating lamps (or Cornering lamps), refer to Adaptive Head Light". So I searched on the US owners manual even, under anything with the word "corner", and I didn't see anything mentioned, so I figured none of the North American cars have them.

I'll double check to see how my fog behaves when I turn the wheel / use the turn signal. I have a Cdn spec 2014 X3 35, and I see you have a 2011. I'm going to be choked if they decided to leave it off the Canadian models...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #11
derriktr
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tell me about it. I just saw your video of it working in the other post... In the 3 series, it's a little bulb in the headlight housing.

I'm really puzzled now how you seem to have it. Do you have adaptive headlights?

In my 3 series manual, in the index it's called "Corner-illuminating lamps (or Cornering lamps), refer to Adaptive Head Light". So I searched on the US owners manual even, under anything with the word "corner", and I didn't see anything mentioned, so I figured none of the North American cars have them.

I'll double check to see how my fog behaves when I turn the wheel / use the turn signal. I have a Cdn spec 2014 X3 35, and I see you have a 2011. I'm going to be choked if they decided to leave it off the Canadian models...
yeahhh.... that would be ridiculous if they disabled it. I know that my model year (2011) didn't have the anti-dazzle setting enabled due to US regulations being different than European. Instead of following vehicles with a "shadow" following the vehicle, the BMW's would just shut off high beams until the camera didn't see any more oncoming lights. This is something I would be able to enable if my vehicle had the auto brights stock - which it didn't (The only option the vehicle didn't have when I bought it CPO) the camera also costs upwards of $300 from what I've seen.

I'll do some research to see if you could enable the cornering lighting with coding. In the interim, you can check to see if you have "524 Adaptive headlights" by entering your last 7 VIN digits on a BMW VIN decoding website. I use www.bmwvin.com but I'm sure there are other ones. If you do have that option, a call to the dealer is in order, as well as asking a few other heated questions...

I'll get back to you in the public forum vice a PM in case I either find something or don't - as others may have the same query.
      10-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #12
derriktr
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Okay, did some quick research and found the following:

"
KLS_BEI_AL_AKTIV CORNERING LIGHTS ENABLED WHEN LIGHT SWITCH SET TO LOW BEAMS
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

ABSTELLPOS_SMC SWITCH-OFF CORNERING LIGHTS WHEN STEERING WHEEL RETURNS (LIKE TURN SIGNALS)
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *

DEF_ABBIEGELICHT_CKM DEFAULT CAR/KEY MEMORY FOR CORNERING LIGHTS
nicht_aktiv not enabled
aktiv enabled *
"
This would enable the cornering lights via the FRM Module. I'll take a look in the morning at my vehicle's code to see if there's anything in there even reminiscent of those codes as it's for a 5 series. In my experience, all coding is damn near the same across all models and regions - and rightfully so!

I'll keep you updated.
      10-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #13
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
yeahhh.... that would be ridiculous if they disabled it. I know that my model year (2011) didn't have the anti-dazzle setting enabled due to US regulations being different than European. Instead of following vehicles with a "shadow" following the vehicle, the BMW's would just shut off high beams until the camera didn't see any more oncoming lights. This is something I would be able to enable if my vehicle had the auto brights stock - which it didn't (The only option the vehicle didn't have when I bought it CPO) the camera also costs upwards of $300 from what I've seen.

I'll do some research to see if you could enable the cornering lighting with coding. In the interim, you can check to see if you have "524 Adaptive headlights" by entering your last 7 VIN digits on a BMW VIN decoding website. I use www.bmwvin.com but I'm sure there are other ones. If you do have that option, a call to the dealer is in order, as well as asking a few other heated questions...

I'll get back to you in the public forum vice a PM in case I either find something or don't - as others may have the same query.
I looked up my options with my VIN, and that one's not there sadly. It looks like some stupid anomaly of 2014 MY for Canadian cars. I looked at the CDN Ordering Guide for 2013, and it's there. 2014, it disappears! But it's still standard for US X3's. WTF?

I take it you have Adaptive lights? I have a bad feeling cornering lights only come on cars with Adaptive lights, like my 335 manual describes it. It needs the steering input to know to turn them on, same input that probably drives the adaptive headlights... If it can be coded regardless, that would be sweet, but I am not holding out hope...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #14
derriktr
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I looked up my options with my VIN, and that one's not there sadly. It looks like some stupid anomaly of 2014 MY for Canadian cars. I looked at the CDN Ordering Guide for 2013, and it's there. 2014, it disappears! But it's still standard for US X3's. WTF?

I take it you have Adaptive lights? I have a bad feeling cornering lights only come on cars with Adaptive lights, like my 335 manual describes it. It needs the steering input to know to turn them on, same input that probably drives the adaptive headlights... If it can be coded regardless, that would be sweet, but I am not holding out hope...
So I looked at the coding in my X3 and couldn't find anything in particular about the adaptive lighting. I'll need to look further, however, as when I looked I was rushed by the wife... but as soon as I can get more in depth I'll hit you up again...
      12-13-2015, 05:11 AM   #15
tiggerii
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M Sport 30e

Garage List
Thanks for the idea Lotus99, I picked up a pair of the Canbus LEDs from these people in the UK - http://www.xenonbulbs.co.uk/LED-SMD-...t-T15-W16W-921

Installed them this morning, put the first one and asked SWMBO to check it and she immediately noticed the difference. So far they haven't thrown up any errors so will monitor the situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #16
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerii View Post
Thanks for the idea Lotus99, I picked up a pair of the Canbus LEDs from these people in the UK - http://www.xenonbulbs.co.uk/LED-SMD-...t-T15-W16W-921

Installed them this morning, put the first one and asked SWMBO to check it and she immediately noticed the difference. So far they haven't thrown up any errors so will monitor the situation.
Good stuff. The other ones I've replaced which I'm really happy with, are the 2 in the cargo area, which I'd highly recommend. http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwe9e9e93co.html

The interior bulbs are not monitored by CANBUS AFAIK, so just a regular set of LED ones is fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #17
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

I just bought the Canbus and installed, it's throws the error, rear tail light malfuction warning in the iDrive. But it works as advertised, I guess ill keep them on since I lost one of the regular reverse light bulbs in the process lol. Can I reset the notification? with an OBD scanner?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #18
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba ba boosh View Post
I just bought the Canbus and installed, it's throws the error, rear tail light malfuction warning in the iDrive. But it works as advertised, I guess ill keep them on since I lost one of the regular reverse light bulbs in the process lol. Can I reset the notification? with an OBD scanner?
Mine was showing a bulb out message when I would start the car Maybe 4 out of 5 times, but often would go off after driving it for a while, which was still a bit annoying, so I ended up eventually Getting the Bulb check coded out by a friend, rather than getting resistors.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #19
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Mine was showing a bulb out message when I would start the car Maybe 4 out of 5 times, but often would go off after driving it for a while, which was still a bit annoying, so I ended up eventually Getting the Bulb check coded out by a friend, rather than getting resistors.
Actually that's what happens now, I warm up the car for about 2 mins, then drive off and the warning triangle goes away. I don't mind, the LED light is much brighter than the OEM one, similar to the reverse lights on the F15 X5. Did you happen to swap up the brake lights as well? What bulb if you did?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #20
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

No, I just did the reverse lights, because that's all that made a difference to me on a practical level. I do want to code Dynamic brake force though, because that would actually save someone I think from rear ending me, but it's too bad Carly can't do it, which is what I'm going to buy soon.

I might find someone locally to code that for me, as I don't have enough time On my hands right now unfortunately to learn coding myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #21
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwick88 View Post
halogen ones. the 921 Philips LED's

Good work technology.
Can you perhaps rephrase that in English?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #22
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can you perhaps rephrase that in English?
I believe he is indicating those are the bulbs he uses as his reverse light bulbs.

Philips 921 Bright White Vision LED Back-up light, 2 Pack on amazon.

Lotus I forgot to ask in the previous post, what about your fog lights? I was thinking going Canbus LED also, there are various YouTube videos on how to remove the housing of the fog light with a flat head screw driver, easy enough. I hate when I use the turn signal it's a halogen light, makes my vehicle look old.
Appreciate 0