BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-27-2016, 11:26 PM   #1
idrivex3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X-3

Steering rack ?

My X3 with run flats at 32lbs front 34lbs. rear.
The steering seems way to responsive, I have to be on the wheel all the time.
Way to quick turn in and on a straight flat road i have to be correcting with the wheel all the time to stay straight. Feels like there is no freeplay in the rack.
Its like an over tightened steering sector. What i am feeling is very very subtle
but it bugs me. My X3 has 7K miles on it and drives the same as when i took delivery. Of the 5 BMW owned this X3 is the only one that feels this way.
Anyone ?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 12:35 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

I had - somewhat- of the same problem - not as good as my MY-97 9000- lowered, 18".

I have sport steering and adjustable shocks. 20" Pirelli PZERO Run Flats.

After lowering - H&R - I got the handling/steering I wanted - but slightly worse chassis comfort.

I still need to be in Sport mode - in Comfort, I have to do some "unnecessary" corrections.

I tried to discuss this on X4 thread, but most people don't know what I am talking about
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivex3 View Post
My X3 with run flats at 32lbs front 34lbs. rear.
The steering seems way to responsive, I have to be on the wheel all the time.
Way to quick turn in and on a straight flat road i have to be correcting with the wheel all the time to stay straight. Feels like there is no freeplay in the rack.
Its like an over tightened steering sector. What i am feeling is very very subtle
but it bugs me. My X3 has 7K miles on it and drives the same as when i took delivery. Of the 5 BMW owned this X3 is the only one that feels this way.
Anyone ?
Hmmm what car did you own before this? I had an Audi Q5 and the steering was way too unresponsive, before that an E90 330i with sport package, now that was a car that was overly responsive steering (I actually miss it very much, RIP E90), the F25 has electric steering and it feels a bit artificial. If this is the first BMW you have owned, the steering is this way because BMW handles in this fashion, It's a very driver oriented car.

Last edited by ba ba boosh; 12-29-2016 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0