BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #23
W3dge
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0D

Refuse car, then get an demo?
Space Grey, Wheels, Doors and a boot, Pushy Finance Person pack (with optional walk out of dealer mode), Professional Medium Pack, Fully Eclectic Towbar, Autocratic Gearbox, Sporty seats, Heated Arguments, Reversing Assist Camera with Top View, BMW signature sills, Panoramic Glass Roof, have you considered the Pushy Finance Person Pack? ETD 22/12/2012
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #24
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

After a lot of calls back and forth, I took delivery of my ( wrong spec) x3.

Basically BMW would not move, I could either take delivery or they could reorder with delivery of march 2012! I managed to get a bit of cash off, but really not much and mudflaps fitted all round.

I was a bit deflated getting the car, but now jelling with it and very pleased. They are very good cars. I will post a review and photos once I've done some more miles.

I did think of saying sod you BMW and go buy a q5 or Volvo, but quite frankly the X3 is the better car.

I am now thinking of reordering the correct spec car, then sell existing one end of this year or early next year, before it's lost too much money. Will probably add a few more toys though, just so its like a new car to me. I just need to make sure that I REALLY like the car, enough to take this risk!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #25
guycashmore
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.0D SE

Exactly the same thing has just happened to me..

Went to the dealer to collect my new 3.0d SE today, along with the keys I was handed a cheque for £ 325 for the 'missing' reversing camera..

I added the reversing camera to the order a few days after placing the original order, I was even sent an amended order specification sheet which I still have..

I was also offered a replacement car - next year!

I'm gutted but what can you do, these bloody dealers are totally useless!

Guy
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #26
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by guycashmore View Post
Exactly the same thing has just happened to me..

Went to the dealer to collect my new 3.0d SE today, along with the keys I was handed a cheque for £ 325 for the 'missing' reversing camera..

I added the reversing camera to the order a few days after placing the original order, I was even sent an amended order specification sheet which I still have..

I was also offered a replacement car - next year!

I'm gutted but what can you do, these bloody dealers are totally useless!

Guy
That is incredibly frustrating . The lesson (for anyone else making changes) is to actually go into the dealership and stand over them with your updated order on the screen. You can't trust them. I made four separate changes (thanks to XBimmers!), trusted them (why wouldn't you?) and got lucky in that the car was the correct spec, but this could have so easily happened to me

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #27
Andrewob
Private
Rep

I'm sorry to hear of the mess up on your x3. It is so annoying and I know exactly how you feel, paying all this money and it's not quite right!!

I managed to get £100 odd knocked off and some mud flaps, not much but it may be worth you asking for something from your dealer.

I'm still deliberating over whether or not to reorder correct spec car and sell existing one next year, gamble with depreciation though..??..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #28
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Y'all got hosed. There's no solution that makes it all right. Funny that we all so often expect life to be fair. So often it coincidentally plays out as fair and we're happy; then it bites you in the backside like this showing the harsh, unkind reality. Sorry it happened to you both. Hope the sting wears off fast and you're able to enjoy the rest well enough. The only damn thing I can think of to do about it is to try my best not to be responsible for doing such crap to anyone myself. Might be corny and naive, but it's all I can come up with. Some would criticize this all 'cause we're talking about "just a car", but the car is the thing that's important to us here, can extend the idea to most anything.
      07-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #29
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Unfortunately with such long UK lead times the dealers can afford to be lazy. The cars sell themselves and in the unlikely event that a customer does refuse to take delivery then know they can still sell at list price to someone else. There's no short term incentive for the dealer to give a rats arse. Long term they'll devalue their own brand and if it's endemic across dealers possibly BMW UK but right now that won't matter whilst the sales and resultant commission keep rolling in for bugger all effort.
      07-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #30
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Unfortunately with such long UK lead times the dealers can afford to be lazy. The cars sell themselves and in the unlikely event that a customer does refuse to take delivery then know they can still sell at list price to someone else. There's no short term incentive for the dealer to give a rats arse. Long term they'll devalue their own brand and if it's endemic across dealers possibly BMW UK but right now that won't matter whilst the sales and resultant commission keep rolling in for bugger all effort.
It's not just laziness. It's also incompetence and some of it is deceitful. Most workers with
such a poor level of knowledge who kept making mistakes or set out to deceive would be fired. I guess if you sell enough cars it doesn't matter to the dealerships. They need to wake up now that forums are correcting their answers and embarrassing them and also highlighting their mistakes and poor practice. E.g. The dealers that don't declare obvious damage on a new car and hope you won't notice! WTF!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #31
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree. But it's not just BMW. My last 2 cars were Audi's and the dealers exhibited the same level of incompetence. I ordered an A3 Sportback 7 years ago and an A5 about 3.5 years ago - both were new-ish models and I knew more about them than the showroom staff did. I was given mis-information on pretty much every trip to the dealer. On the A3 one dealer confirmed that if I took the folding mirrors option then the mirrors would come with heated washer jets on the mirrors themselves. Another told me that both parts of the panoramic sunroof would open (only one does).

I'd say we'd be better ordering online but we know that the configurator is just as bad as the retail staff.
      07-25-2011, 05:41 AM   #32
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Agree. But it's not just BMW. My last 2 cars were Audi's and the dealers exhibited the same level of incompetence. I ordered an A3 Sportback 7 years ago and an A5 about 3.5 years ago - both were new-ish models and I knew more about them than the showroom staff did. I was given mis-information on pretty much every trip to the dealer. On the A3 one dealer confirmed that if I took the folding mirrors option then the mirrors would come with heated washer jets on the mirrors themselves. Another told me that both parts of the panoramic sunroof would open (only one does).

I'd say we'd be better ordering online but we know that the configurator is just as bad as the retail staff.
I've also experienced clueless Audi salesmen. They didn't even know the Q5 came in a manual and had a 2L with a lower engine output. I also had a Q5 test drive booked for 9am. Turned up 8:50. No car. No call. Complete waste of a 13 mile round trip if I hadn't popped in to BMW instead, and the rest is history. Audi called me about 3 weeks later to say they had the manual Q5 for me to test drive. X3 was already ordered and thank God for the Audi no show

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #33
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I've also experienced clueless Audi salesmen. They didn't even know the Q5 came in a manual and had a 2L with a lower engine output. I also had a Q5 test drive booked for 9am. Turned up 8:50. No car. No call. Complete waste of a 13 mile round trip if I hadn't popped in to BMW instead, and the rest is history. Audi called me about 3 weeks later to say they had the manual Q5 for me to test drive. X3 was already ordered and thank God for the Audi no show
I had a similar experience... the guy could not differentiate leatherette from leather.. Pathetic!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #34
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

Least u guys got some attention, went into audi with the missus and was totally ignored! Left and on way home popped into BMW and it was love at first sight for the missus on the x3 and the rest is history! Still waiting for the car though....

Even Porsche ain't that "snobbish"... Was able to test drive n even got their brochures which was like a book! Bought the cayman s last week...
      07-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #35
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Best way to get attention in an Audi garage: take in two young kids with sticky fingers and set 'em loose on the cars on display. Sales people will want you out of there ASAP.

I reckon a fake bout of Tourette's might also help.
      07-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #36
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
Least u guys got some attention, went into audi with the missus and was totally ignored! Left and on way home popped into BMW and it was love at first sight for the missus on the x3 and the rest is history! Still waiting for the car though....

Even Porsche ain't that "snobbish"... Was able to test drive n even got their brochures which was like a book! Bought the cayman s last week...
I dont know - I have been given some pretty snobbish treatment at a Porsche dealer.

At 3pm on a Saturday - dealership was deserted except for three salesmen, and they wouldn't talk to me because I did not have an "appointment".
It took three visits to finally get sent a brochure (which has to be mailed to you).
Only once did they actually have a car I could test drive, and then it was someone elses pre-delivery car (I Was told to keep it clean and not drive it energetically).

Audi would have to do a lot to beat our local Porsche teams attitude.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #37
guycashmore
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Just had a very strange call from my dealer...

Apparently my missing reversing camera can't be dealer fitted, so they are going to replace the whole car!

Just got to wait until December, but I can keep the current car until then..

A result I guess!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #38
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Apparently my missing reversing camera can't be dealer fitted, so they are going to replace the whole car!

A result I guess!
Are you sure that wasn't a dream? You get to put as many miles as you like on your current X3 and then get it replaced with a brand new one with the correct spec in December?!? Now that is dealer atonement!

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #39
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep

thats a great result! guess the dealer will sell it as a demo when u get yours later...
      07-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #40
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
I dont know - I have been given some pretty snobbish treatment at a Porsche dealer.

At 3pm on a Saturday - dealership was deserted except for three salesmen, and they wouldn't talk to me because I did not have an "appointment".
It took three visits to finally get sent a brochure (which has to be mailed to you).
Only once did they actually have a car I could test drive, and then it was someone elses pre-delivery car (I Was told to keep it clean and not drive it energetically).

Audi would have to do a lot to beat our local Porsche teams attitude.
that is really odd.. i went in to have a look at the cayman... spoke to the saleswoman a little.. arranged a test drive for the following wk and asked for the brochures... she couldn't be more happy to do either... got to enjoy their coffees/sweets at the same time...

have to say... i still can't get over the brochures.. they're like proper hardcover books!

sorry OP for taking this OOT!
      07-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #41
Andrewob
Private
Rep

Quote:

A result I guess!

You lucky bugger, no such luck with my wrong spec car, I will have to sell my car if I take delivery of new X3 and that will be April now!

I really did use the wrong dealership!!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 03:39 AM   #42
guycashmore
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

My dealer says he is going to use my current car as the demo, my replacement car is his demo order which is why it's December not April..

Still can hardly believe it myself! But this IS totally their stuff up, the order contract clearly states the reversing camera option and they have little option but to make good the contract..
Appreciate 0