BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

My new X3 has a hairline scratch on the Navigation Screen, Help!

I noticed a hairline scratch that I thought was just a hair or something on the display, I just took delivery a few days ago. I know the dealer won't replace the nav screen, but the scratch doesn't seem deep, I've tried a computer wipe and mild screen cleaner but the scratch doesn't seem to come off. It seems like it is just in the antiglare coating. This is most noticeable when the sun hits it directly, argh!

Any suggestions would be helpful

-Rob

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
dfcoelho
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: '11X3(F25)2.0dA,'13 3(F30)2.0d

I've already used toothpaste (which is a softer kind of polish) to polish some small scratches on watches (like swatch) with good results... but I guess that any kind of polish you apply would "stain" the antiglare treatment...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Why won't the dealer replace it? If you're sure you didn't do it and it's noticeable, they should take care of it. If you or family did it while check out the new car, the it's in the "crap happens" category and I hope the suggestions here help! I've not worked on a similar things, so I don't have any real suggestions. The toothpaste idea makes me nervous as the surface is more porous than a glass surface -- then again, I have no experience with it. Good luck and let us know!
      03-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
mvitch
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Alpine White

Just purchased a new X335i. What do you guys recommend for cleaning the NAV screen?
thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Damp soft cotton cloth; careful not to use the seams. If that doesn't do it, I use Monster screen cleaner, but I avoid that unless absolutely necessary.
      03-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Damp soft cotton cloth; careful not to use the seams. If that doesn't do it, I use Monster screen cleaner, but I avoid that unless absolutely necessary.
Thanks so much for the advice, I will try the monster cleaner, it's not coming off with anything else -- the scratch was there before I brought the car home, it's really really lite, thats why I thought it could be taken out, but it's not coming off easy.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So it looks like the scratch is absolutely in the Anti-Glare Coating and there is nothing that can really be done aside from removing the Anti-Glare coating altogether. I hate this scratch because the sun grabs it and it looks like a white dog hair, but at the same time, I don't want to ruin the anti-glare or the screen itself. What would you guys do?

I've tried cleaning the display, I've tried the toothpaste trick, haven't tried the vaseline trick yet but not sure that would work anyway. I thought about using the cleaners that you can buy to fix a CD or DVD at best buy or something but Im worried that would make it worse. Comment if there's anything I might be missing.

I wish it wasn't a nuisance...

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Last edited by osxcode; 04-26-2013 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Dont be so humble... Take it back to dealer and request they replace screen! You didnt notice damage until later... Dont just settle until its fixed!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX3OK View Post
Dont be so humble... Take it back to dealer and request they replace screen! You didnt notice damage until later... Dont just settle until its fixed!
That's good advice and I took it, I put a call in and they are taking care of it first thing monday. I thought they would try to blame me for it but they are on top of it and actually quite pleasant in dealing with this.

Have a good weekend,
-Rob

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep

Right on! All sorts of "damage" can happen during assembly/delivery... Now... Deep breaths cause more scratches and dings are guaranteed to happen down the road take it all in stride
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
kingbadger
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 3.0D MSport

You need to loathe the scratch. Dealer is happy because BMW will have to pay him hours of labour to the job. But I'm betting that to change the nav screen they will need to totally pull out your dash so they can replace the nav screen unit from the back. Anyone who has ever has this done on a previous car will tell you that it is a sure recipe for a life of squeaks and rattles for ever more.

I may be wrong, maybe the X3 dash drops back more easily, does anyone have experience of this?
      03-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, they replaced my entire dash pad (the textured black part) which required taking off the whole central console (among other things). It's been about 6 weeks. All was fit back perfectly as far as I can tell and haven't heard anything in terms of squeaks or the like. In fact, there used to be a plastic sounding "crack" as things warmed up and that seems to be gone. Was fairly worried about it, but so far all seems good.
      03-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

That's great news osxcode!

...ya don't ask ya don't get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
That's good advice and I took it, I put a call in and they are taking care of it first thing monday. I thought they would try to blame me for it but they are on top of it and actually quite pleasant in dealing with this.

Have a good weekend,
-Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I can't imagine they have to disassemble the entire dashboard to remove the Nav screen, I think they would remove the grey cover around the vents then pop off the black plastic housing around the screen, which would most likely be hiding the screws for the screen. Nav screens should be made to be replaced easily as it is an electronic item. Im just happy they can replace it with no drama (well Im hoping no drama)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbadger View Post
You need to loathe the scratch. Dealer is happy because BMW will have to pay him hours of labour to the job. But I'm betting that to change the nav screen they will need to totally pull out your dash so they can replace the nav screen unit from the back. Anyone who has ever has this done on a previous car will tell you that it is a sure recipe for a life of squeaks and rattles for ever more.

I may be wrong, maybe the X3 dash drops back more easily, does anyone have experience of this?

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvitch View Post
Just purchased a new X335i. What do you guys recommend for cleaning the NAV screen?
thanks in advance
Einszett cockpit premium
      04-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
FX3OK
Private First Class
Rep

Did you get this resolved? I am curious on the outcome
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes, I followed the advice on here and had BMW replace the entire screen, with a new perfect one. They didn't give me any guff about it at all and Im glad I went that route.

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:48 AM   #18
ej_424
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

I've ran into this issue with my past 3 BMW's. Latest being my 2011 X5. After trying a lot of different screen protectors/anti-glare solutions I found that NuSheilds DayVue option is hands down the best out there.

http://www.nushield.com/

I used Novus Plastic polish to remove all the anti-glare coating and then applied this and its like new now again! Best part of all is you can use cleaners on this protector and it wont harm it.

BMW's AG coating is ridiculously easy to remove... To easy hence why you see so many threads on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 03:03 AM   #19
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX3OK View Post
Right on! All sorts of "damage" can happen during assembly/delivery... Now... Deep breaths cause more scratches and dings are guaranteed to happen down the road take it all in stride
Yip, that's guaranteed...

I bought my previous car (F20) new and was ultra-pedantic about every little thing. Things like fine swirls in the piano black (I had an Urban model with really nice interior) had me seriously annoyed and I spent hours polishing things with plastic polish, cleaning vents with fine paintbrushes etc.

The F25 I bought recently already had 85,000km on it and although it was extremely well taken care of by the previous owner, little wear and tear aspects are definitely there. My iDrive screen for example has plenty of fine scratches. Did they bother me right after I got it? A little. Do they bother me now? Nope.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #20
tekgk
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

I got my X3 with some light scratches on the nav screen and found "Tuff Protect Clear Screen Protectors" on eBay. The anti-glare protectors closely matched the original anti-glare coating that was on the screen. They did a great job of covering up pre-existing light scratches on the screen. Give it a shot, only $16.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #21
jman103099
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & 2011 F25

Did you remove your anit-glare first? If so, what did you use to remove it before you applied the Tuff Protect Clear Screen Protectors?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #22
tekgk
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

I didn't remove the anti-glare. I just put the anti-glare Tuff film directly on after thoroughly wiping the display down with a microfiber cloth.
All the light scratches covered up pretty well with the film - no noticeable loss in visibility or brightness (at least for me).
Give it a shot, for $16, what do you have to lose? The film can also be removed w/o damaging the screen.
Appreciate 0