BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #45
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

This video explains different systems used in Subaru, Toyota, VW , Honda pretty well.

for the heck of it:

Last edited by watoowatoo; 10-24-2010 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #46
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

ok!! So in the end....which is better?
I guess they both are brilliant!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #47
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

x drive is the best
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #48
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinan_sleiman2006 View Post
x drive is the best
yes!! x drive is the king and rules over everything!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #49
Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
I've tested both systems (x-drive + quattro) in extreme dry conditions and it's not like the x drive has better gripping power than the quattro... both cars grip and will get you out of real world situations about the same but the major difference I found was:

X-Drive responds MUCH MUCH quicker than quattro does. It also responds more smoothely and thus does a better job at keeping you on the intended path.

Example: You enter a ramp with 1ft of snow on it at 30 mph. You lose traction with both cars, but BMW reacts in 0.5 seconds, and Audi reacts in 1 second. That 0.5 second difference is HUGE and very scary when you are facing a metal barrier because even when the system intervenes, it still takes a while for the car to grab a bite at the road.

As far as going uphill on a slippery surface and such, again, I think both are equally good given real world situations. The only advantage that x-drive has is that it will react quicker if a wheel slips while going uphill which will keep you moving better and more on the intended path.

As far as this video goes:

BMW found a flaw in Audi's system and they are making a fool out of them.
If Audi finds a flaw in BMW's system, I'm sure they would do the same.
It's fair game.
Tires and ESP don't have anything to do with this video. Both cars are equally equipped...that's just how the quattro behaves in those situations.
It's rare for that to happen, but IT IS a flaw. Period.
      10-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #50
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp View Post
I've tested both systems (x-drive + quattro) in extreme dry conditions and it's not like the x drive has better gripping power than the quattro... both cars grip and will get you out of real world situations about the same but the major difference I found was:

X-Drive responds MUCH MUCH quicker than quattro does. It also responds more smoothely and thus does a better job at keeping you on the intended path.

Example: You enter a ramp with 1ft of snow on it at 30 mph. You lose traction with both cars, but BMW reacts in 0.5 seconds, and Audi reacts in 1 second. That 0.5 second difference is HUGE and very scary when you are facing a metal barrier because even when the system intervenes, it still takes a while for the car to grab a bite at the road.

As far as going uphill on a slippery surface and such, again, I think both are equally good given real world situations. The only advantage that x-drive has is that it will react quicker if a wheel slips while going uphill which will keep you moving better and more on the intended path.

As far as this video goes:

BMW found a flaw in Audi's system and they are making a fool out of them.
If Audi finds a flaw in BMW's system, I'm sure they would do the same.
It's fair game.
Tires and ESP don't have anything to do with this video. Both cars are equally equipped...that's just how the quattro behaves in those situations.
It's rare for that to happen, but IT IS a flaw. Period.
i think that's the most pertinent opinion i read on this thread so far!! i guess you are right !!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #51
dencoop
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche (991) 911 C4S Cab

actually, I am pretty sure that the X-Drive system took after the Honda/Acura developed SH-AWD with Torque Vectoring. I think Torque Vectoring is what makes all the difference....It was first introduced in 2004 on a 2005 Acura RL SH-AWD/Honda Legend...

Check out this Video of the new 2010 MDX against the Q7 and RX...

[u2b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidkaqlW9ns&feature=related
[/u2b]

Last edited by dencoop; 10-25-2010 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #52
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitkis View Post
Exactly. And better to remember that any four wheel driven car is FAR better in snow than any two wheel driven BMW. It's like comparing which fighter plane makes most Gs when most of the people fly Cessnas...
I would also state that any fwd car is also better than any rwd BMW in snowy conditions. My MINI and wifes Volvo V70 handle winter far better than my 3 series ever did.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #53
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
Mechanical is always > than sensor system
If that was actually true, EVERY manufacturer would use a mechanical (torsen, manual lock, etc.) AWD/4WD system.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #54
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Drove my 335 xDrive coupe through the blizzard over presidents day in DC to see the Pens play the Caps. I passed a Subaru that was stuck at one point. The car was unstopable. All I had on were all season tires. xDrive is ridiculous.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #55
DTM-R13
Banned
Rep
Drives: A4 S-Line quattro Titanium

This helps too

Last edited by DTM-R13; 10-25-2010 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #56
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Drove my 335 xDrive coupe through the blizzard over presidents day in DC to see the Pens play the Caps. I passed a Subaru that was stuck at one point. The car was unstopable. All I had on were all season tires. xDrive is ridiculous.
So much for ridiculous. I also drove my 335i in that blizzard, didn't get stuck. I had on Bridgestone Winter Blizzark tires (BTW they are awesome. turns your RWD car to almost a AWD car). Next day I went out with my RAV4 4x4, and while having fun in the snow and forcing it to powerslide into a corner, lost control blew out the right front tire. That proves nothing as I can assure you a RAV4 on all-seasons is x10 superior to my 335i no matter the tires I have on. Not even Happakalika's would fill that gap.

All I am saying is bogus fixed test by BMW. Says, absolutely nothing. I personally believe x-drive superiority if any really exists in the real world, is marginal if anything. Enternaing video though.
      10-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #57
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencoop View Post
actually, I am pretty sure that the X-Drive system took after the Honda/Acura developed SH-AWD with Torque Vectoring. I think Torque Vectoring is what makes all the difference....It was first introduced in 2004 on a 2005 Acura RL SH-AWD/Honda Legend...

Check out this Video of the new 2010 MDX against the Q7 and RX...

[u2b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidkaqlW9ns&feature=related
[/u2b]
No way man...xDrive is probably older than Acura itself, although not the current version of xDrive, but the xDrive brand is probably older...haha

Regarding the video, it's funny that they didn't show the BMW going up the hill even though in the description it says that the xDrive was a part of the comparison. Every video that I see (from BMW themselves) showcasing the xDrive, they show the car going up a hill like in this video, so maybe that's a strength in the xDrive system
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #58
logpak23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M5

Nothing stops an audi, i have a 2000 A6 and its NEVER gotten stuck, just last year i pulled out two cars from a ditch during our blizzard. Test like the one above are just a marketing gimmics, real world test is what counts, and im pretty sure most of us would agree with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #59
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

Quote:
The x-drive won't be better than the Quattro in the intended path that you refer to because in real world applications your car is moving and thus friction is always present in which the Quattro system won't exhibit any of the symptoms on the BMW videos. The only area that the X-drive would be better in is possibly if you are stuck in a snow bank with no traction period and that is 99.99% very unlikely as in most instances you would still have traction or friction.
It can happen ... intentionally, or unintentionally.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #60
Skully
Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I drove the Q5 back to back with the new X3 last week in South Carolina. We also got to drive a Mercedes GLK and Lexus RX. I think everyone will be impressed with the new X3.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #61
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

Quote:
If you look in that video the cars tires aren't even touching the ground. The whole car has been lifted up by the snow.
At least one wheel ALWAYS has traction in that video. That's also why the car can move from time to time. Barely, but it does anyway.
IMO xDrive would perform better in this situation since the situation is very similar to the roller test seen in the previous videos. So, the controlled situation from "roller test" can be also found in real life situations. Not often but still.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #62
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

Quote:
more random nonsense by an Audi fan

X6M, just like X6, has a rear differential system called "Dynamic Performance Control", which is NOT purely mechanical (unlike inferior Torsen). It, just like regular xDrive system in vehicles like X3 and X5, is being controlled by car's computer, which uses various electronic sensors and electric motor to control the mechanical clutches.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ling-tech_dept
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #63
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post

X6M, just like X6, has a rear differential system called "Dynamic Performance Control", which is NOT purely mechanical (unlike inferior Torsen). It, just like regular xDrive system in vehicles like X3 and X5, is being controlled by car's computer, which uses various electronic sensors and electric motor to control the mechanical clutches.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ling-tech_dept
Exactly! The X5M and X6M uses basically the same xDrive system as all X3, late model X5, E9x xDrive and E6x xDrive with the exception of adding DPC. Sensors are STILL used to control the xDrive system. FYI, the xDrive system debuted with the previous generation X3. So some of the Youtube clips showing Quattro vs. old X5 isn't really valid anymore. The pre-xDrive AWD system used by BMW has a fixed proportion of power going to the front/rear wheels, unlike xDrive.

With the addition of DPC, the X5M/X6M can just better apply torque to the rear wheels than an open differential via individual wheel braking to transfer torque from one side to the other.

As it seems, the xDrive system is probably a better system. Not saying the torsen Quattro is bad though. Just a little outdated now. But it may still suffice for most uses (seeing how many replies on this thread indicates good experience with it). However, you must not dis-credit the xDrive system as I have yet to see a negative comment about BMW's xDrive system on forums and users.

Or looking at it from another perspective. xDrive scores arbitrary 95% and Quattro scores 90% in real world situations. Are both system good? Are both systems able to meet general needs? Yes. Its just in unfortunate certain situations where traction is not ideal at one wheel axis, the BMW WILL perform better and quicker than Quattro.

Last edited by tctic; 10-25-2010 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #64
logpak23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M5

i would love to see some video footage like this, just goes to show the reliability of an Audi quattro.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #65
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

im sorry but i cant stick with bmw on this one
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #66
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

anyway...back to topic...
very impressed with BMW Xdrive.....cool technology!!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0