BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
turbovan82
Rep
Drives: x3

Leasing Loaner BMW X3

Hi Guys,

Sorry to double post but my updated situation is buried in another thread because I am new to the forum and couldn't create my new thread.

Would you guys go for a Loaner X3 with 2781 KM's (1728 Miles) on the clock for $5800 off? They have also taken about $900 off the extended warranty to get me to 100000 KMS my lease would be for 96000 KMS+ the existing mileage. With that extension I am still out 4 months without warranty towards the end as the in service was in February.

I have also gone back to them to ask for another $750.00 off but haven't heard back yet.

What are your guys thoughts on this. If it was a loaner with 10000 KMS i would have said no immediately but this is a fairly low mileage one.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

The loaner is 5800 less than new?

I dont know how it works over there, but surely you could negotiate somewhere near to that discount off of a new model by shopping around and get exactly what you want and have it from brand new?
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
turbovan82
Rep
Drives: x3

On the new ones ive been getting around 3500-4300 of discounts. Problem is I am looking at 2013 inventory and there isn't much around anymore. So some are pretty bare bones with Leatherette and some are loaded models that are way out of my price range.

The demo is the best match from what I've seen in terms of equipment included that is what is making this difficult.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan82
On the new ones ive been getting around 3500-4300 of discounts. Problem is I am looking at 2013 inventory and there isn't much around anymore. So some are pretty bare bones with Leatherette and some are loaded models that are way out of my price range.

The demo is the best match from what I've seen in terms of equipment included that is what is making this difficult.
We got 3k off a new '14 35i. For the price and mileage it simply just makes sense to me to just buy new.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Agreed, deal seems not much better than buying new. But one thing im not clear on, if you're leasing who cares if its a loaner?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

I wouldn't ever lease or purchase a loaner, it's would be like buying a car from a rental agency. Haven't you seen how people abuse the loaners? Sounds like a headache, I would say, penny wise, pound foolish. Go for new

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
I wouldn't ever lease or purchase a loaner, it's would be like buying a car from a rental agency. Haven't you seen how people abuse the loaners? Sounds like a headache, I would say, penny wise, pound foolish. Go for new
The beauty of a lease. Car can blow up at any time...nacho prollum if the discount is deep I would lease a loaner all day long.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Yup, I would strongly recommend buying new. Choose you options plus full balance of warranty
      06-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
The beauty of a lease. Car can blow up at any time...nacho prollum
True that, but who has time to make habits of visiting the service center, if you can't afford a normal lease or purchase, shouldn't one buy something they can afford, like say a honda?

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Mike824
Rep
Drives: 2011 2.8 X3

I leased a loaner around 16 months now with no problems. you should be able to get a better price. here are my details.
2011 28i
7571 miles
sticker 48k
4yr/50 mile full maintenance starts at that point
$1500 out of pocket
$429 a month
purchase option at end of lease is very good
if the opportunity arises I would definitely do ot again
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Doesn't seem like much of a deal like others have stated, I would order a new one and get what I wanted.

For comparison, I paid invoice +250 and the incentives in my area when I ordered added up to 1250 (first month payment up to 750 and 500 loyalty credit). With the options I added, invoice was $4000 less than retail, so I paid 3750+1250 less than retail or $5000 - so basically depending on the deal you can get in your area, you are saving $800 and getting a model year old used car, they need to find another 3 grand in there somewhere!

One thing that makes up for it a bit with the lease is the 13 has a better depreciation last I checked than the 14 by a couple of percent. Since it is a lease and depreciation doesn't matter like buying on a model year older car, I would see what kind of deal you could get on a 14 and see where the payment comes out.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxcode View Post
True that, but who has time to make habits of visiting the service center, if you can't afford a normal lease or purchase, shouldn't one buy something they can afford, like say a honda?
Yuck. Typical elitist BMW driver. If someone opts for a good deal all of a sudden it's because they "can't afford" another option? No offense to others who don't think this way, but this is why BMW owners get such a bad rep from other drivers and enthusiasts. "Like a Honda" what a joke.

The ridiculous portion of your post aside, you're making a big assumption that a loaner is going to have any more or any less of a problem than a new car. Big assumption. Point is, on a lease you have no risk (if lease period ends within warranty), so in terms of the longevity of the car, even if it was abused in its early life, the effects later on will likely be well beyond your period of ownership. If the car ends up legitimately being problematic, that's why warranty/lemon laws exist, aside from the fact the dealer would likely be interested in making you whole another way.

But again, that's all based on the premise of a huge assumption that you will have more frequent issues over the life of the lease, which in and of itself is a complete and total fabrication based on nothing.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
jknj
Rep
Drives: 12 x3 in Deep Sea Blue

Well said, but I do understand the point that a loaner MAY be abused. Many see a loaner as something like a rental car, and the saying goes "Rental cars can do things that regular cars cannot do". I have been involved in more than one rental abuse adventure. I agree that this is less likely on a loaner than a rental car, but just the multiple driver pattern would be a concern to me. Mechanical devices wear into a driver's pattern, and I can see a loaner breaking more quickly.

But hey, if the deal is good, you are certainly covered.

I really did resent the Honda line. Kinda a cheap line. Rich people get there by being good with their money. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, only stupid folk waste it. If this kind of deal makes it work for you, welcome to the club. Hondas are just about the most boring car as there is. Only a Camry is worse. I would do whatever it takes to avoid one, and I did!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknj View Post
Well said, but I do understand the point that a loaner MAY be abused. Many see a loaner as something like a rental car, and the saying goes "Rental cars can do things that regular cars cannot do". I have been involved in more than one rental abuse adventure. I agree that this is less likely on a loaner than a rental car, but just the multiple driver pattern would be a concern to me. Mechanical devices wear into a driver's pattern, and I can see a loaner breaking more quickly.
What is worst? An occasionally abuse loaner or some used car that is owned by someone who abuse it every day. Of course when you buy a used car, the salesman will tell you that every used car is owned by a old lady who drives it just on weekends My point is, its all pot luck, there is no guarantee a used car will have less problems than a used car, even a CPO.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I honestly apologize for sounding like an elitist in my previous post. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

OP - really don't care what you do, I was just thinking it might make more financial sense to buy new and have less of a headache with mechanical issues. No matter what you choose, new or preowned, the X3 is a solid product.

I bought a preowned X3 once and it wasn't a nightmare, but had issues related to the original owners. With all the incentives and good deals you can put together on a new car, make sure you weigh the balance of the two options.

Enjoy whichever decision you make and post pictures when it comes!

2016 BMW X5 ///M

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #16
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

It all comes down to if the reward justify the risk of a used BMW or a loaner BMW. The OP's $5800 off MSRP price for the loaner certain do not justify the risk since it is only a $1000 below invoice of a new X3. I would say a fair price for a low mileage loaner is about $4000 off the invoice price.
Appreciate 0