BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
dencobmw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

What to watch out for at the finance manager's desk

In about a week, I will be picking up my 2012 X3 35i from the dealer and signing a lease. I know I'll probably be pitched add-ons like tire insurance, protective coatings and such. Most car buying websites recommend turning down all of these options because they're usually just ways for the dealer to make more money. My question is: what will they be pushing on me and is any of it legitimately worth getting? I know they'll probably have a good pitch for all the options and I just want to be prepared beforehand.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
some of us have opted for tire insurance - in terms of $$$ its hit or miss depends on how many tires you wreck - there are several threads on this topic you might want to search on. I did not take any other options at the finance mgrs desk - its my 2nd BMW w/ tire protection package - Perhaps its piece of mind for a BMW owner with 4 runflats and no spare.

If you really believe you are going to have your X3 longer than 4 years/50k miles you may consider an extended warranty. Personally, mileage wise 50k for me is 3.5 years - i will figure it out in a few years - may add extended coverage or trade in for something new.

I was offered some sort of paint protection that I did not take.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
dencobmw
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info! Yeah I'm pretty sure I will decline the tire insurance since I plan on buying regular tires to put on and keep the runflats for returning at the end of the lease. I'm not too worried about damaging the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

I was offered -

Tire insurance - I only take this if the car has low profile tires.
Windshield insurance - something about insurance companies not covering the X3 windshield? Thats a new one.
Paint protection - forget that
A BMW credit card - They signed me up even though I did not ask for it.
The extended warranty is worthwhile if you intend to keep the car for a bit, but I believe you can wait before deciding. Also, the price is negotiable based on my past experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Perseption is always that there will be TONS of money to be made in the business office and that everything has no value.

Perception is wrong, its not a lot of $$ $ compared to car sales. True, there is some money to be made... but that's how a business operates. If there was no value, people wouldn't buy correct? At the end of the day, its all OPTIONAL and whether you need it or not.

Tire and Rim warranty - on Run Flats/and low profile tires is must have depending on the costs. Run flats typically have to be replaced once there is a puncture due to the sidewalls bearing all the weight of the vehicle in even of no pressure. Over 5 years 2 to 3 replacements is usual with run flats.

Extended Warranty - must have if you plan on keeping it past original manufacture's warranty. Cost of parts/labour going up AND good private resale. MUCH easier to sell a BMW with warranty than a BMW without warranty.

3M Stonegaurd - Worth every little penny. protects from stone chips. Need I say more?

Like I said they will make some money, but like anything you buy out there whether it be a TV, Car, Clothes, there will be some profit made. Profit is what drives are economy whether you like it or not. Biggest thing is paying a FAIR price.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
If it's a lease and you're planning on ditching the RFTs then you don't need anything extra. I bought my E90 and I didn't take any of the extra coverage including tire insurance. I'll be keeping mine to around 5 years, 120,000km and I'm not worried about any major mechanical failures.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteowade View Post
Thanks for the info! Yeah I'm pretty sure I will decline the tire insurance since I plan on buying regular tires to put on and keep the runflats for returning at the end of the lease. I'm not too worried about damaging the wheels.
I think that's a BAD idea! I have had my X3 for about 7-8 months now and I have had 2 nails in my tires. Both were no big deal to drive to the nearest Discount Tire and get them patched. Without RFT's this is a pain because you have to pull over on the side of the road and put your spare on. Without RFT's and no spare... it's a MAJOR headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen View Post
Perseption is always that there will be TONS of money to be made in the business office and that everything has no value.

Perception is wrong, its not a lot of $$ $ compared to car sales. True, there is some money to be made... but that's how a business operates. If there was no value, people wouldn't buy correct? At the end of the day, its all OPTIONAL and whether you need it or not.

Tire and Rim warranty - on Run Flats/and low profile tires is must have depending on the costs. Run flats typically have to be replaced once there is a puncture due to the sidewalls bearing all the weight of the vehicle in even of no pressure. Over 5 years 2 to 3 replacements is usual with run flats.

Extended Warranty - must have if you plan on keeping it past original manufacture's warranty. Cost of parts/labour going up AND good private resale. MUCH easier to sell a BMW with warranty than a BMW without warranty.

3M Stonegaurd - Worth every little penny. protects from stone chips. Need I say more?

Like I said they will make some money, but like anything you buy out there whether it be a TV, Car, Clothes, there will be some profit made. Profit is what drives are economy whether you like it or not. Biggest thing is paying a FAIR price.
I think what you fail to mention (or realize?) is that a business operates by creating value. Whether that value is real or perceived is the buyers job to determine.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
dencobmw
Private
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=paul386;10949815]I think that's a BAD idea! I have had my X3 for about 7-8 months now and I have had 2 nails in my tires. Both were no big deal to drive to the nearest Discount Tire and get them patched. Without RFT's this is a pain because you have to pull over on the side of the road and put your spare on. Without RFT's and no spare... it's a MAJOR headache.

Doesn't driving on a flat RFT actually destroy the tire? I guess the reason I want to get non RFTs to drive on during the lease is that they're cheaper than buying a new set of RFTs to return at the end of the lease. In my 16 years of driving, I've never had a blowout and I've only had nails maybe 2 or 3 times. But maybe my time is up
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

[QUOTE=matteowade;10949952]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
I think that's a BAD idea! I have had my X3 for about 7-8 months now and I have had 2 nails in my tires. Both were no big deal to drive to the nearest Discount Tire and get them patched. Without RFT's this is a pain because you have to pull over on the side of the road and put your spare on. Without RFT's and no spare... it's a MAJOR headache.

Doesn't driving on a flat RFT actually destroy the tire? I guess the reason I want to get non RFTs to drive on during the lease is that they're cheaper than buying a new set of RFTs to return at the end of the lease. In my 16 years of driving, I've never had a blowout and I've only had nails maybe 2 or 3 times. But maybe my time is up
Yeah the tire is destroyed over time by high temperature and pressure on the sidewall. However, they are rated for about 50 miles at 50MPH or less. I have only put a few miles on them while flat so they are completely fine and repairable (as long as the nail isn't in the sidewall).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
I think what you fail to mention (or realize?) is that a business operates by creating value. Whether that value is real or perceived is the buyers job to determine.
then that business manager sucks
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
pb2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
In about a week, I will be picking up my 2012 X3 35i from the dealer and signing a lease. I know I'll probably be pitched add-ons like tire insurance, protective coatings and such. Most car buying websites recommend turning down all of these options because they're usually just ways for the dealer to make more money. My question is: what will they be pushing on me and is any of it legitimately worth getting? I know they'll probably have a good pitch for all the options and I just want to be prepared beforehand.

Thanks!
I created a spreadsheet to help analyze whether it makes sense to buy the tire/wheel warranty or not. For me, it did not make sense. Even if I assumed every flat required a tire replacement, I needed to get 8 flats in 5 years for the warranty to make sense. I assumed that my wheels would be fine.

I have a X3 28i, standard 17" wheels/RFTs.

PM me and I'm happy to send you my spreadsheet so you can do your own calculations.

PB2
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

3M stoneguard is the only thing I'd consider too... it saves a pile of damage and makes bug clean-up a snap.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
Chalky White
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90, 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2 View Post
I created a spreadsheet to help analyze whether it makes sense to buy the tire/wheel warranty or not. For me, it did not make sense. Even if I assumed every flat required a tire replacement, I needed to get 8 flats in 5 years for the warranty to make sense. I assumed that my wheels would be fine.

PM me and I'm happy to send you my spreadsheet so you can do your own calculations.

PB2
I used this very handy tool. Based on the following
$899 for 5 years, zero deductible, and a tire price (including tax and installation) of $435 each for (Pirelli Cinturatos), I break even after 1.62 tires. I think it's worth it.

2006 325i, Sparkling, Grey, Xenons, Premium, Heated, Comfort (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:

PB2
WTF? Based on what price they were selling it to you for? Even at 350.00/tire you'd be looking at $2800 for the tire warranty to be at breakeven.

anything > breakeven is your gain... unless u are measuring risk differently?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
pb2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
WTF? Based on what price they were selling it to you for? Even at 350.00/tire you'd be looking at $2800 for the tire warranty to be at breakeven.

anything > breakeven is your gain... unless u are measuring risk differently?
My tires are $240 installed @ Costco. There's a $50 deductible. They were offering a 5 year program to me for $1347 (after a 10% discount).

Here's the spreadsheet if anyone wants to try it out.

Thanks,
PB2
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #16
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Quote:

Thanks!
Forget what everyone here tells you. The one thing you need to do (if you're male) is keep away from the hot woman with the big tits and the unbuttoned shirt. She's the dealer options girl and she'll do what attractive women have been doing for thousands of years; liberating guys of their cash!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #17
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30dMSport View Post
Forget what everyone here tells you. The one thing you need to do (if you're male) is keep away from the hot woman with the big tits and the unbuttoned shirt. She's the dealer options girl and she'll do what attractive women have been doing for thousands of years; liberating guys of their cash!
Oh, you've already met the Finance Manager at my dealership?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
Legaleagle4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
My tires are $240 installed @ Costco. There's a $50 deductible. They were offering a 5 year program to me for $1347 (after a 10% discount).

Here's the spreadsheet if anyone wants to try it out.

Thanks,
PB2
I have been driving in Boston area for over 40 years. Have had four flats in that time, no rim damage. If I had taken out tire insurance for every car every time, I would have spent far more than the cost or replacing 4 tires (or even 8 tires if done in pairs). One must look at this from a long term perspective. I only get insurance against catastrophic events and self-insure or higher deductible against the "smaller" exposures.
Nonetheless, I only had 3500 miles on my 2011 X3 when the TPMS senor went off. I inspected the tire. It had 28 lbs of pressure and a tack sticking out. I re-inflated tire and called the dealer. They needed to order a replacement tire (Pirelli P7 245/50/ R18 RFT). They quoted a price of $365for tire alone and about $100 in addtional labor. I quoted the Pirelli Run Flat road hazard warranty (found on CD that comes with car). The Pirelli warranty says no charge replacement (including tire and labor) if tire is damaged during first year and 2/32 or less of wear. If more than a year or more wear, then pro-rated charge on tire and owner pays labor. Dealer thanlked me for the information and presented the claim to Pirelli. Dealer will be reimbursed and I was not charged.

"There are a 8 million stories in the naked city. This has been just one."
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #19
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I declined the tire/wheel warranty.

I figure the first puncture I'll replace all four RFT with conventional tires and sell the 3 remaining RFT. This plan should net a minimal cost and permit puncture repairs in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

Quote:
Would agree, but my dealer quoted me $1500 for bumper+24" hood+a-pillar+cargo loading area coverage.

Elsewhere I've been getting quotes around $700-$900, from highly reputable installers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I declined the tire/wheel warranty.

I figure the first puncture I'll replace all four RFT with conventional tires and sell the 3 remaining RFT. This plan should net a minimal cost and permit puncture repairs in the future.
I'm probably gonna get 19" summer wheels and put winters on the stock rims.

I've been debating going the non RFT route, but not sure what I would do if I got a puncture/flat... What's your strategy?

A local tire place suggested the Conti Comfort Kit, but I'm not too convinced.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

No real stategy.
  • maybe a can of tire goo and an electric pump.
  • if that fails there is always a ramp truck and drop off at a tire repair place which is still cheaper than replacing a $500 RFT.
  • lastly, buy a spare wheel & tire and leave it in the garage. (It is only 15km work --> home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangsta View Post
I'm probably gonna get 19" summer wheels and put winters on the stock rims.

I've been debating going the non RFT route, but not sure what I would do if I got a puncture/flat... What's your strategy?

A local tire place suggested the Conti Comfort Kit, but I'm not too convinced.
Appreciate 0