BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-29-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
dmode
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

X3 Tech Info Needed

Hey Guys - It is time for me to upgrade from my 335i coupe to an SUV. Obviously, X3 is my top choice followed closely by Q5. Probably not a surprise to most of you here. My 335i is from 2009, so the infotainment tech is pretty dated. My iDrive is basically useless and I only use to switch radio stations. However, I know that with BMW ConnectedDrive, BMW Assist, BMW Online etc. car tech has come a long way since then. I do want some top of the line car tech in my next purchase. So in that vein, I am posting a few questions that knowledgeable X3 owners can hopefully answer.

1. To get the most out of the new iDrive system, will the Tech package be enough for the X3 ? Do I need to add any additional packages or individual options?

2. How sophisticated is the voice command system ? Can I use it to easily enter addresses for the Nav?

3. How does Yelp and Pandora integration work? Does it come with the tech package simply or do I need a separate subscription?

4. How does the Google maps integration work? Do I need a separate subscription to anything?

5. Finally, how does the iDrive compare with Audi's MMI package in Q5, if anyone has insights

I realize that some of these questions are not related specifically to the X3. But still posted them on this forum as there may be certain updates that are missing for the X3 specifically. For example, my SA told me that the 2014 X3 is one of the two models that do not have the iDrive touch.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
flavius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
Hey Guys - It is time for me to upgrade from my 335i coupe to an SUV. Obviously, X3 is my top choice followed closely by Q5. Probably not a surprise to most of you here. My 335i is from 2009, so the infotainment tech is pretty dated. My iDrive is basically useless and I only use to switch radio stations. However, I know that with BMW ConnectedDrive, BMW Assist, BMW Online etc. car tech has come a long way since then. I do want some top of the line car tech in my next purchase. So in that vein, I am posting a few questions that knowledgeable X3 owners can hopefully answer.

1. To get the most out of the new iDrive system, will the Tech package be enough for the X3 ? Do I need to add any additional packages or individual options?
I have a 2014 X3 with he Premium package and the nav system option. From your angle that appears to be all you need. However, I'm new to navigating BMW configuration so don't stop reading after this post.

Quote:
2. How sophisticated is the voice command system ? Can I use it to easily enter addresses for the Nav?
I'm not a native speaker and I don't have any issues unless I give an address that doesn't exist in the system. The system will make you think it's your mistake. The maps in the 2014 system are outdated and this nav system still won't come clean about it.

Quote:
3. How does Yelp and Pandora integration work? Does it come with the tech package simply or do I need a separate subscription?
Today, this is covered by the Navigation option, I think. I recently switched to Android, have a Galaxy 4 now. I'm still not certain if my BMW is going to put me in the dog house for that. I already regret that switch - however, other Galaxy users have reported they are supported. I don't dial by voice just yet.

Quote:
4. How does the Google maps integration work? Do I need a separate subscription to anything?
See above. Google maps recently introduced a new interface that does not support sending a destination to your car. For now, stick with the classic version of Google maps - and register with BMW or it will not work (if you do it does).

Quote:
5. Finally, how does the iDrive compare with Audi's MMI package in Q5, if anyone has insights

I realize that some of these questions are not related specifically to the X3. But still posted them on this forum as there may be certain updates that are missing for the X3 specifically. For example, my SA told me that the 2014 X3 is one of the two models that do not have the iDrive touch.

Thanks in advance.
You are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

I came from a 2011e92 coupe.

Can't say anything about the iDrive. I just like that it's easy to turn the screen off! And my iPod plays through the USB. Yay for my high tech life. He he.

But I can say I have zero regrets about the switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I also had a 335, and now have an x3 35i with M sport.

It's actually a lot of fun to drive, and even more exciting than my 2008 335 was, because that new eight speed transmission is so much faster than the old six speed.

I also have the heads-up display, which is a really cool feature. Dynamic handling package is a must as well, really tightens up the car and makes it fun to drive.
Appreciate 0