BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #1
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

Android to NAV . . . . . . hello ?

17 X3 w/nav Vs. Samsung S7 android.

There is the "phone" app (green button) and the "contacts" app ( yellow button )

So my question is . . . .
"What does this NAV from ? "phone" list . . normal ? >>> answer ! NAV thru Idrive Nav works from android "Contacts" (yellow button)
NAV thru Idrive Communications works from android "Phone Contacts" (green button)

Can the phone app sync with the contact app ? >>> answer YES these two apps share about everything and sync automatically!
But a contact entry in "Contacts" that doesn't contain a phone # will not show in "Phone Contacts" unless you turn off the "don't show contacts with no number"( in settings of the "Phone Contact" settings )
( kind of a catch 22 on that one )( have to come up with a way to identify entries that are missing a phone or address ? )

1. I have been frustrating myself trying "contacts" over and over.
2. where is a detail description of the function of contact list Vs phone list. >>>>> there is NONE !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tuesday....went to Best Buy and talked to 1 Samsung phone guru, 2 other phone sales people.
The "phone contacts" and "contacts" both use the same base app, phone has blue tooth access for calls.
You should be able to initiate a nav route thru either app. >>>>>> and you CAN IF everything works correctly !
And when phone is in car and both are on...... the car via bluetooth simply shows the sync'd information from your phone.
So that if you initiate a nav route from contacts, its using the latest infor from EITHER app on your phone.
BUT. . . ALL entries must be complete to avoid .... a void !
again . . . IF everything is working correctly !
You can save each entry from either app to the vehicle.

Time to hook up the charger to the car and go play with the phone & nav.<done that

(what app does nav use on an iphone?) . . . . ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
your experiences may vary with model, phone, working equipment, and position of the moon
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt

Last edited by Scout10; 01-25-2019 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

Another ? ?

Yep another question ?

Bmw Guru says the vehicle talks / updates info on board from the phone infor from contact and phone. . . every so often when Both are on and working, driving.
Anyone know how often this "every so often" occurs ? ? ?
And if i were to make an entry in the smart phone, during travel (like when the wife is driving) how long before it updates to the vehicle ?
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt

Last edited by Scout10; 01-25-2019 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0