BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
hraklis1
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xdrive28i

Cricket noises when turning climate control fan up past >60%

Hi all,

I have a 2011 BMW x3 xdrive28i. My A/C blower-fan is chirping like a cricket and it's pretty annoying. Below about 75% intensity there's no noise at all, but as soon as I turn to one of the final levels, it begins. We've had a particular cold spell this past week (-10 to -15 degrees celsius), which is when I've started noticing it. There's no relation to whether I have A/C on or not - it only seems to be related to the blower fan level. Not sure whether they're related, but I've also noticed it's been taking a bit longer for the car to start outputting hot air for the climate control.

I have been researching and have seen multiple posters who have taken out the blower and lubricated it and have had good success in eliminating the noise. However, that seems to have been for the previous generation.

I've tried searching for previous threads specifically mentioning the F25, but have had no success.

Does anyone have any ideas of i) what this could be, ii) Fixes or links to previous threads that may provide insight. I'm happy doing some DIY fixes at home as long as I have proper instructions, but I'm not sure where to start right now. I found this for the E83 (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ntrols/P0C9m7X), but no success with finding a similar one for the F25.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Merlin82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive35i

Definately subscribed to this one. My 2011 does the exact same thing. I also notice it seems to do it more at idle vs at part throttle.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
hraklis1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin82 View Post
Definately subscribed to this one. My 2011 does the exact same thing. I also notice it seems to do it more at idle vs at part throttle.
I *think* this is what I need to access to inspect the blower: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...trols/EPcm7BKy

- which honestly looks relatively straightforward if you can access it via underneath the glovebox. Unfortunately haven't seen any videos on youtube to verify. Would love to hear others' feedback
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hraklis1 View Post
I *think* this is what I need to access to inspect the blower: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...trols/EPcm7BKy

- which honestly looks relatively straightforward if you can access it via underneath the glovebox. Unfortunately haven't seen any videos on youtube to verify. Would love to hear others' feedback
I had issues with my blower motor on my E90. It failed, albeit slowly, over time.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

It's the blower motor bearings. Common BMW problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 04:55 PM   #6
hraklis1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
It's the blower motor bearings. Common BMW problem.
Thanks, that's what I'm concluding also.

Found this video that basically details exactly what I need to do. Seems straightforward, and saves me hopefully having to buy a new motor.

Will update after i do it sometime in the next month
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hraklis1 View Post
Will update after i do it sometime in the next month
Yes please! Mine made noise when I bought it (CPO), it went away soon afterwards but I made sure the dealership recorded it in case it came back up again before the CPO warranty expired. Similar symptoms but lucky for me went away. Agreed about bearings, typical of any fan in any device.

Follow-up info on a web forum of this sort if you fix it, for how much and how, is always very valuable!
Appreciate 0