BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Oops ... Rim damage ...

Had a nasty encounter with a boulder at the side of the road trying to avoid a car on a single lane track ...

The tire clearly needs replacing, I am just wondering what can be done about the rim ...

It looks much worse in real life than it does in the photo!

Any experiences/suggestions?

Thanks
Attached Images

F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Ouch! The rim looks repairable. I have done my own repairs using silver epoxy, but your best bet might be to find a mobile repair guy. A friend did something similar to one of his rims and had it repaired on his drive. The only other choice is to send the rim for refurbish, but that's not so convenient!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp
Ouch! The rim looks repairable. I have done my own repairs using silver epoxy, but your best bet might be to find a mobile repair guy. A friend did something similar to one of his rims and had it repaired on his drive. The only other choice is to send the rim for refurbish, but that's not so convenient!
My BMW dealer just replied to an email saying that as long as the rim is not cracked he can get it sorted out. Also looking into whether the tire will be covered under tire insurance.
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Chris111
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i Msport

If the rim hasn't been buckled, a wheel refurbisher will weld some new aluminium alloy into the rim and it will be just like new again. It will be much less expensive than a new wheel. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

In London....http://www.mobilewheelrepair.com/

Other information including DIY
http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ed-wheels.html
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Chris111
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I've used www.pristinealloywheels.co.uk in the past and found them to be excellent. They take the wheel back to the bare metal and then repaint or reglaze. They use local collection centres all over the country.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris111
I've used www.pristinealloywheels.co.uk in the past and found them to be excellent. They take the wheel back to the bare metal and then repaint or reglaze. They use local collection centres all over the country.
How do you drop off a wheel when you don't have a spare?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
How do you drop off a wheel when you don't have a spare?
You can't.

Your local BMW dealer probably sub-contracts the alloy wheel repair out, mine does. I know the guy personally who they use and his work is first class. I had a similar looking issue to yours and it was repaired at my house and I couldn't tell afterwards and I'm very fussy. No issues with longevity as I had the car for another two winters and it still looked perfect.

So have no fear in using a mobile repairer that uses the right products, techniques and has the right equipment for the job.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
usafbmwguy
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Sport 2011

How much does repair work like that usually cost at the BMW dealer vs. a mobile repairer?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Chris111
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Horsey. You need to jack up the car and a friend to help you deliver the wheel if you don't have another car I'm afraid....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:39 AM   #11
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Best place in the country is Lepsons in Gillingham and they are not that far from London. I used them to get my Q5 wheels done before I sold it. 99% perfect to my pedantic eye (so 100% to most) and much better than guy-in-a-van-with-a-spray-can outfits. Not that much more expensive either.

You can leave the car with them and get the train back into London. Need to book a bit in advance for that though.
      09-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
76C++
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35D MSPORT

Sorry to see your damage, to have a good repair it needs to be heat baked after repair and paint, to help out with a car why not call your BMW dealer, they should give you a car while they do the repair. Would take a whole day. All the best 76
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76C++
Sorry to see your damage, to have a good repair it needs to be heat baked after repair and paint, to help out with a car why not call your BMW dealer, they should give you a car while they do the repair. Would take a whole day. All the best 76
Yup, my dealer is sorting it out for me.

I have to say they have been amazing since I bought the car.

I have been invited to a number or events and am going on a track day next week too.

I am so happy I bought an X3 and not an Evoque!
Appreciate 0