BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #23
NKBMWX3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, Mazda 3

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraxy View Post
NKBMWX3
supraken

Any news from your side?
Was it like a tickle feeling or real vibrations? Any noise?

For steering wheel see here: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485010
Hi
It is real vibration for me above 80kms and it says on. The frequency of vibration increases with speed. I went to BMW yesterday and went for a drive with the foreman and we could replicate the issue. The car is booked in for tomorrow. There is no noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #24
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_brock_jr View Post
Had the same issue! Vibration felt through the steering wheel as well! First trip in to the dealer, they replaced the engine mounts...said it was fixed...NOPE! Second trip in they changed out the transfer case...said it was fixed...NOPE...last option they changed out the axles...said it was fixed...MAYBE. I ended up deploying before the last fix was made, but my girl was driving the car two days later and received a drive train malfunction alert and took the car back. Whatever they did, there hasnt been any problems since.

Do you know what they did to fix the issue ? I've been dealing with the dealer and BMW NA on and off for months to no avail.
I'm getting new rear axles as we speak for this exact issue. It's a known issue and bmw knows it. There is a TSB for it as well. The rear axles are at too steep an angle causing vibration due to stress. They test by loading the rear with 400 lbs and it goes away. My long term plan is to lower the ride height (similar to adding weight) to put less stress and a smaller angle on the axles. I get the car back tomorrow and I'll let you know if the vibration is gone with just the axle replacement
      01-26-2021, 05:19 PM   #25
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 3

Hmm. I think we have different issues. For me it is still speed independent and no vibrarition in the steering wheel. And it is more a tickeling, like a light vibration of a phone's vibration alarm.

The same, however, is the rpm based vibrarion. Worst in the 2500 range.

I will check the case above with my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 07:46 PM   #26
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

instead of tickle, i think tingle is the right word and feeling. Is it more than tingle on your side? or is tingle normal in some way?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #27
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
I'm getting new rear axles as we speak for this exact issue. It's a known issue and bmw knows it. There is a TSB for it as well. The rear axles are at too steep an angle causing vibration due to stress. They test by loading the rear with 400 lbs and it goes away. My long term plan is to lower the ride height (similar to adding weight) to put less stress and a smaller angle on the axles. I get the car back tomorrow and I'll let you know if the vibration is gone with just the axle replacement
Fixed?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 08:57 PM   #28
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Fixed?
Yes. New axles made the problem go away. For now. We'll see if it comes back like others have stated.
      02-03-2021, 12:52 AM   #29
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes. New axles made the problem go away. For now. We'll see if it comes back like others have stated.
Ok. Will be at the dealer soon.
Just to repeat the question above. Was it a strong shaking vibration, did you have noise or was it silent and only feeling like a slight tickle vibration.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:31 AM   #30
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok. Will be at the dealer soon.
Just to repeat the question above. Was it a strong shaking vibration, did you have noise or was it silent and only feeling like a slight tickle vibration.
Mostly felt like the lane departure vibration in the wheel and you could kind of hear a noise under load that immediately went away the second you lifted off the accelerator. Hope that helps.
      02-06-2021, 04:56 AM   #31
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKBMWX3 View Post
Hi
It is real vibration for me above 80kms and it says on. The frequency of vibration increases with speed. I went to BMW yesterday and went for a drive with the foreman and we could replicate the issue. The car is booked in for tomorrow. There is no noise.
Hi NKBMWX3 ,
Fixed for you, too? Same issue and fix as wdeerfield?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:12 AM   #32
NKBMWX3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi NKBMWX3 ,
Fixed for you, too? Same issue and fix as wdeerfield?
Hi
My issue is different where the vibration stays on continuously from 80km/hr speed and higher. I could only get an appointment on 8th of March so I will have to wait a bit for a fix. Did you get yours looked at?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:23 AM   #33
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Not yet. Have an appointment late in february. However, I still have the feeling we have all different issues of vibration.

My is still only in the floor and pedals. No noise. Tickeling feeling like a slight phone vibration alarm. Speed independent. Only while driving. Worst at 2600 rpm. Worse in Sport Mode, depending on exhaust flap open or closed. M40i.

Still wondering if some vibration is normal an i am paranoid. However, will definately visit the dealer and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 07:44 AM   #34
NKBMWX3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Not yet. Have an appointment late in february. However, I still have the feeling we have all different issues of vibration.

My is still only in the floor and pedals. No noise. Tickeling feeling like a slight phone vibration alarm. Speed independent. Only while driving. Worst at 2600 rpm. Worse in Sport Mode, depending on exhaust flap open or closed. M40i.

Still wondering if some vibration is normal an i am paranoid. However, will definately visit the dealer and let you know.
My dealer rebalanced the wheels when I went there two weeks ago. This is after I had them balanced at a different place. Today I was driving my Mazda and felt a similiar vibration at 100km/hr, which is interesting. I am going on a long trip in 3 weeks so that will be a good test.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #35
NKBMWX3
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
Hi All

Time for an update. After waiting 6 long weeks, I finally dropped off my car on 8th March and my dealer gave me a loan car. Finally got my car back after 6 weeks

My SA advised me that they had to re-balance the prop shaft. I asked them how can a car with 24,000 kms have an unbalanced prop shaft. SA had no idea and said it could be a manufacturing fault. When he said that, I asked him if it is a known manufacturing fault, then why are they not replacing it rather than try to fix it. His answer was that he has not closed the case with BMW Australia and he is still waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime, the dealer thinks balancing should resolve it.

The part that I am not happy with is that they said they test drove the car, but I have been following the odometer readings in my BMW app and it had not changed over 4 days prior to them returning the car. When I jumped in the car, sure enough, the odometer reading was the same as my app. Looks like they were just trying to get rid of the car and me.

Driving home, I could only go up to 60km/hr so could not really test it above 80km/hr. I have a feeling that the issue will return or has not been fixed properly. I am almost tempted to dump the car and buy something else.

Does anyone else have any other updates?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 06:12 AM   #36
Stallturn
Registered
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Any updates on this vibration issue?
I have the same high-frequency vibration through throttle pedal - more noticeable at lower speeds, but there all the time whilst on the move.
Balancing hasn't seemed to have worked.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 08:15 PM   #37
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Posting/watching…. I seem to now have this too. It is only ever so slight vibration at low speeds and low-load… but it’s there. Completely dependent on engine/transmission load. It’s so light, that for the past few days, I kept asking myself “has this always been there or am I just now noticing this?” Don’t think I’ll take it in as of now… just monitor it. Due for an oil change soon… will bring it up then. I know what they’ll say tho… “cannot reproduce”.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 06:13 PM   #38
x3Kol
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: x3

I have also started to notice a light vibration in the dead foot / footwell around 2000rpm. Worse in sport mode. Feels like a drivetrain issue.
Appreciate 0