BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-12-2023, 09:31 AM   #1
Aceattack52
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

F25 No A/C and Codes

Hi guys,

I have a 2013 F25 with the N20 engine in it. When I bought it the fuel gauge, A/C and rear window anti-trap would not work. I eventually narrowed all of this down to a faulty JBBFE (body control module). I replaced the body control module with one that was advertised as new on eBay and right away, the fuel gauge started working again and the window anti-trap warnings went away. I still have no A/C though!

I do not think it is a refrigerant level issue. My gauge says ~110 PSI with the engine off, 80deg ambient temperature. The pressure will not change at all if I start the car and turn on the A/C, not even for a few seconds for the system to attempt to start the compressor. I have put power to the valve in the A/C compressor and at that point it will pump and the air inside the car gets cold. I don't think this is hardware related; I think it is software related to the JBBFE

Here are the codes I am getting on the IHKA module (heating/air module) after having replaced the body control module:

80118C- A/C compressor: shut-down due to vacuum in refrigerant circuit
E71408- Message (Front passenger seat status, 0x22A) missing, receiver IHKA, transmitter SMBF
E7140E- No message (auto air recirculation control sensor status, 0x2D0)
E71452- CAS interference (status, central locking system, 0x3FC): signal invalid
E71409- No message (status of pressure in refrigerant circuit, 0x2D2), receiver IHKA

Can anyone make sense of these codes? Do I need to have the new JBBFE coded to the car even though the window warnings went away and the fuel gauge started working?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 06:33 PM   #2
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Fuses ?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 09:18 AM   #3
Aceattack52
Rep

I was hoping it would be a fuse but I'm afraid I'm not so lucky.

I have been tinkering with it a bit and it seems like something computer related. When I hook A/C gauges up to it there is no change when I turn the car and A/C on. It's not even trying to pump refrigerant. Even after resetting the IHKA and JBE modules, it still won't even try to run the compressor
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 02:09 PM   #4
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I believe these have a “break away” type front hub. If the compressor locks up it will snap the front hub off the compressor. That way the belt won’t break and you can still drive the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 02:32 PM   #5
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4-Silverstone, 2017 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_KID View Post
I believe these have a “break away” type front hub. If the compressor locks up it will snap the front hub off the compressor. That way the belt won’t break and you can still drive the vehicle.
The compressor is not locked up though. Above he says he manually engaged it and it puts out cold air.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 02:43 PM   #6
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4-Silverstone, 2017 X3

I think you should investigate this code
"80118C- A/C compressor: shut-down due to vacuum in refrigerant circuit"

It appears the system is detecting a vacuum, most likely on the low pressure side of the circuit/pump. From my understanding, the entire circuit should always have positive pressure even though one side of the pump will have a higher pressure than the other side, its still always higher than ambient. So why is it detecting a vacuum?

Is there a valve that isn't opening inside the system-maybe the expansion valve
Is the pressure sensor on that side of the system faulty and detecting erroneous vacuum?
Is the system pressure lower than required-usually you run the system with two gauges one on the high side, one on the low side and take readings.

I would say force the compressor on again and take readings wit the dual gauge then compare to the required spec for high and low pressure.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 05:25 PM   #7
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClampThurst View Post
The compressor is not locked up though. Above he says he manually engaged it and it puts out cold air.
Aaahh, good catch. I missed that part….
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2023, 01:10 PM   #8
Aceattack52
Rep

~~~SOLVED~~~

After some more consideration and some more diag, I reached out to Steve Ma with Code my Bimmer. I asked him if a newly installed JBBF module needed to be coded to work properly and he said "since it is a device on the CAN bus, yes it does need to be coded to work properly".

So that's what I did to fix it, I set up a remote coding session with him and he took care of it in about 5 minutes. If I had brought the car to an independent repair facility, I imagine they would have jumped to replace the compressor as they often do with cars with A/C problems. That would not have made any difference in this case so I'm glad I slowed down and did the research to figure out what it really was first.
Appreciate 0