BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-18-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

X3 Transmission

When driving normally I can feel the loss in forward movement during the gear shifts. So your head kinda rocks back and forth a little bit. Does your X3 behave this way? On my M3 with DCT .. the shifts are so fast and smooth ... it's smoother than this automatic transmission..

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Mine certainly does that at light throttle (normal driving). I think it's the electronic throttle reducing engine torque during each shift. It's probably set up that way for best economy. Just using more throttle seems to override "the loss of forward movement" as does using Sport Mode with its much higher and faster shift points. Of course that may result in more acceleration than you want in "normal" (meaning slow) traffic, and certainly won't help your fuel consumption.

Last edited by Lotus7; 09-18-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Guess I feel a little better, it's still a bit annoying. Thanks Lotus.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
Guess I feel a little better, it's still a bit annoying. Thanks Lotus.
Yes, it is annoying at times as is the slight head rocking as the car slows down under closed throttle as the transmission downshifts with the torque converter in lock-up mode.* I guess it's the price we have to pay for the slight, but cumulative, fuel efficiency gains that these "features" give the vehicle and help bolster its EPA mileage ratings.

*For anyone who cares: the slightly "jerky" downshifts during deceleration keep the engine (and alternator) spinning fast enough to provide a very high momentary battery charge rate when the throttle is closed. This helps slow the car down and supplies "free" energy to the battery, hence the name "Brake Energy Regeneration (BER).
Appreciate 0