BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-26-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Question iDrive software update

I’m taking my X3 in to the stealers to get them to check the mobile phone signal through the shark fin and when I booked it in I also mentioned getting the iDrive software updated. The guy hinted that this isn’t covered by the warranty and that I would have to pay for it. I argued that if they were fixes, I should get them for free and it was kind of left open.

What’s the deal here? Surely I’m entitled to get the updated software if it includes fixes? Anyone else got free updates / paid for them in the past?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I’m taking my X3 in to the stealers to get them to check the mobile phone signal through the shark fin and when I booked it in I also mentioned getting the iDrive software updated. The guy hinted that this isn’t covered by the warranty and that I would have to pay for it. I argued that if they were fixes, I should get them for free and it was kind of left open.

What’s the deal here? Surely I’m entitled to get the updated software if it includes fixes? Anyone else got free updates / paid for them in the past?
I checked with my CA... you need not pay for the software update!
Atleast here in new york!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks tagz. Hopefully the same will apply here. I'll post details after I've taken it in

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Software updates are usually done with a service. You should not have to pay for it.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

When I got my 335i there were various updates available but unless you had a specific problem BMW would not pay the dealer to do the update. Since then the update process has improved (faster and I think more modular) so maybe they are more flexible. Don't assume you'll get the updates for free.
      08-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
When I got my 335i there were various updates available but unless you had a specific problem BMW would not pay the dealer to do the update. Since then the update process has improved (faster and I think more modular) so maybe they are more flexible. Don't assume you'll get the updates for free.
Yeah, it seems to be a grey area but I'm hoping that as they fixing a genuine fault at the same time, they will update it for free. If I was just bringing it in purely for the software update, perhaps then they'd charge.

We'll see how it goes

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Sfax, can you establish if you get anymore features or just performance fixes? Do you get an 'about' screen on the media pro so you can check your code version/patch?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
Sfax, can you establish if you get anymore features or just performance fixes? Do you get an 'about' screen on the media pro so you can check your code version/patch?
Yes, will post details. You don't get an about splash screen but you can look at the version in the settings. Booked in for next Friday

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I tried to get the software updated on my iDrive today at the dealership. I took it in for them to look at the shark fin mobile phone signal not doing anything.

My experience is as follows. I was told there was no update available (despite my car being manufactured in Jan 2011). They didn't want to give me the version number (called the Integration Level) but I got it in the end and it's a month before the manufacture date so F025-10-12-503 where 10 and 12 are 2010 and December respectively.

The output from scanning the key shows that "no update available" but I know this isn't the case (there was one in July). Anyway, what "no update available" actually means is we don't have to give you an update for free and don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry coming in for an update under warranty (which is fair enough but I wish they'd just say that up front).

Net result is that you'll probably have to pay for a software update unless you have something wrong with your iDrive or something wrong that will be fixed by the latest version of the iDrive software.

I've negotiated and managed to get mine updated in any case in about 2 weeks time (I have to wait longer as it's all day job and I'll need a loaner and that's the first available date)

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

A day to do a software update....WTF. what the hell is it written in? Is it a format, O/S reload and then all the pieces/modules installed for all the various sections?

I bet when the fix the MP3 playing issues, there will be queues of Nav Pro owners wanting the updates.

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I know it is not the engine system but for info, my July build onboard software is showing 003.004.031 for both multimedia (MX- prefix) and telephone (TX- prefix) if that helps anyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

It's a day worst case scenario apparently and I think it's a good 2 hours at least, which would explain why they are reluctant to do it for free. I researched a few posts on 3 and 1 series forums and some people were charged circa £200.

Unfortunately, the version number that counts is hidden unless you have the machine that reads the key. I'm not sure about the other two that you can see from iDrive but mine are:

MX-002.005.021 (multimedia)
TX-002.005.021 (telephone)

for comparison with x3bScotland. I assume mine is lower partly because he has 6NR and I don't.

Will post details of any changes when it's done

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

For the 3 years I leased my 335XI they did software updates for free when they were available and the car was in for service. I never went there specifically for a software update.

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardew View Post
For the 3 years I leased my 335XI they did software updates for free when they were available and the car was in for service. I never went there specifically for a software update.
Good to know they'll likely do it as part of a service but with a new car you won't get a service for about 2 years unless you put a load of miles on it or drive it hard so it could be a long wait for software fixes. Depends what fixes you need really

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Keep in mind that it might be different in the UK than the US, but the current BMW stand on this is that they no longer give free updates just because you want them - even when they provide an improvement. In order to have BMW cover the cost of the update under warranty, you have to have a problem that the update is the solution for. So, wait for a service bulletin to describe the need for an update, and then tell the SA that you have that problem.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Keep in mind that it might be different in the UK than the US, but the current BMW stand on this is that they no longer give free updates just because you want them - even when they provide an improvement. In order to have BMW cover the cost of the update under warranty, you have to have a problem that the update is the solution for. So, wait for a service bulletin to describe the need for an update, and then tell the SA that you have that problem.
I would say that's exactly as it seems to be in the UK now. This also suggests that they may not update during a routine service. Would be good to see the exact list of faults that they have fixed and when it was fixed so that then you can choose a fault and innocently turn up with that very same problem

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #17
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

With the E90 series there were people posting about not wanting the update because it caused more turbo lag. They were complaining that BMW forced the updates on them. I never noticed anything after the updates. If there is an update that addresses a problem that you are having with a new car I can't imagine them charging for the update. That's what the warranty is all about. Bringing it in just for a software update is like bringing it in for service before it's indicated. You pay for it. I'm sure if there is an earthshaking update we'll all get it for free.

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If there is an update that addresses a problem that you are having with a new car I can't imagine them charging for the update.
They don't as we've already established

Quote:
Bringing it in just for a software update is like bringing it in for service before it's indicated
No, it's distinctly different because updates don't just fix things, they also often provide new functionality. E.g. the update in question will allow me to retrofit 6NR

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:29 AM   #19
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep

Sfax, maybe you should delay the 'negotiated' upgrade for a few weeks, then you might get the RTTI feature on your prov nav? That would be worthwhile?

Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #20
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

RTTI feature? What is due? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 06:37 AM   #21
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep

Real Time Traffic Info announced in July, for year 12 models, for vehicles produced sometime later this month. I think it is colored road sections on the nav map to incdicate traffic flow speed instead of the text type RDS technology. I dont know if the hardware is different or just software or if you get it with std or pro only nav. That's probably a question that could only reliably be answered by BMW themselves, at the R&D facility, a dealer woluld not know the true answer.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #22
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
Real Time Traffic Info announced in July, for year 12 models, for vehicles produced sometime later this month. I think it is colored road sections on the nav map to incdicate traffic flow speed instead of the text type RDS technology. I dont know if the hardware is different or just software or if you get it with std or pro only nav. That's probably a question that could only reliably be answered by BMW themselves, at the R&D facility, a dealer woluld not know the true answer.
Very good point Tank. I know that it's only for pro nav but crucially not whether it's software only (I think it will be) and not when it will appear in the software. I assume as soon as they start manufacturing cars that have it. May be too long to wait for me but no harm in finding something else wrong in a few months time that needs another iDrive update

I also agree would need some serious inside information to know when they will include this in a software update

I found this RTTI link which is quite informative

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bm...ned-30487.html

Appreciate 0