BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
soj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, SP, PP, CW

x3 28i review vs 328i PP/SP

Quick and dirty review.

As background, I am coming from a 2008 328i Auto with Sports Package.

2011 X3 28i in comparison to the older 328i with SP
- Acceleration roughly about equal. Surprising given the weight difference. I really didn't think I needed more power. I of course could always use more but it never felt lacking. I was a bit concerned when I compared this to the 35i but after driving the 28i around town, it felt good. I feel less and less remorse for not getting the bigger engine.
- Brakes on the 328i was better. The X3 brakes are good but tend to require a bit more force on the pedal when trying to stop the more heavy vehicle
- Suspension is about the same as a 328i WITHOUT SP. It's quite balanced but the run flat tires are really really bumpy. I am thinking about replacing them with regular rubber. The 328i that I had with RFTs were not as stiff as the ones on the X3. It might be because its so new and maybe it will break in over time. As a backdrop, I felt the 3-series WITHOUT Sports Package with RFT tires was MORE bumpy than one with the sports package. Unsure why that is but I felt this way on numerous test drives over the years. Something about tight suspension and RFTs that make them go together.
- Handling - Again, VERY nice for a car that weighs 2 tons BUT the road feel with the electric steering makes me feel a bit disconnected from the road. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of road feel. But not like a 3 series.
- Interior - Top notch. All upgraded materials
- Hi Fi Stereo - A noticeable jump from the stock unit. I'd highly recommend it for anyone who likes their music pure.
- Navi - Its what I expected, nothing more, nothing less
- Steering wheel feel - A little too assisted when going very slow (5 miles per hour) but stiffens up quite a bit once you get going (15 miles per hour). At speeds higher than that, the car steering feels tight.

Specs for my 28i
- M-Sport
- Carbon Black
- Black Leather
- Premium Package
- Navigation
- Xenons
- Heated Seats / Steering Wheel
- Premium Audio
2005 330i SG PP CW
Appreciate 0