BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
nicholascanada
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Acura

Rear Hatch Comfort Open/Close

I am a little confused. From everything I read, comfort open/close handsfree with a kicking motion underneath the hatch...was only available on non M sport vehicles. The M sport bumper did something to not allow the feature to be included.

However I just watched a US dealer's video on a m40i and they did the handsfree comfort open/close.

So anyone with a m40i, could you confirm or deny whether the handsfree open/close on the rear hatch works on a m40i? Also, are you in US or Canada? Not that there should be a difference. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholascanada View Post
I am a little confused. From everything I read, comfort open/close handsfree with a kicking motion underneath the hatch...was only available on non M sport vehicles. The M sport bumper did something to not allow the feature to be included.

However I just watched a US dealer's video on a m40i and they did the handsfree comfort open/close.

So anyone with a m40i, could you confirm or deny whether the handsfree open/close on the rear hatch works on a m40i? Also, are you in US or Canada? Not that there should be a difference. Thanks!
Works fine.
Canada.

GG
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 01:32 PM   #3
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Works, but takes several tries each time I use it.
USA.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
nicholascanada
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Works fine.
Canada.

GG
Wonderful! Thanks for replying guys.

I know the X3 MSport bumper killed the kick to open on that model. I thought the same would of course follow to the m40i. My dealer also said it did not work.

Almost weird that it does, but I guess this bumper is different enough that it allows the electronics to be placed there. Great news, I really love that option and assumed I would not have it! Although I agree, any time I have seen a dealer video online they ALWAYS have trouble opening it on the first try. It seems you need a perfectly placed center kick to make it function.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholascanada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
Works fine.
Canada.

GG
Wonderful! Thanks for replying guys.

I know the X3 MSport bumper killed the kick to open on that model. I thought the same would of course follow to the m40i. My dealer also said it did not work.

Almost weird that it does, but I guess this bumper is different enough that it allows the electronics to be placed there. Great news, I really love that option and assumed I would not have it! Although I agree, any time I have seen a dealer video online they ALWAYS have trouble opening it on the first try. It seems you need a perfectly placed center kick to make it function.
Place your foot on top of a pretend soccer ball directly center and under the car.

Now, with the ball of your for, roll the pretend soccer ball 3" to the left and 3" back to center.

Now, kick the pretend ball without touching the car's underbelly.

Presto, door opens every time.

Rolling your pretend ball above wakes up the system and gets everything synced and ready for your kick.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 12:55 AM   #6
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Works every time - 2014 X4 M. 3 sec delay.

Note: move your foot - "any-way"- and then lean away from vehicle - system will not open if sensing an object (you) close to hatch.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:36 AM   #7
Sarsippius3rd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i

Works on my 15 MSport. Kick in a steady motion dead center of under the bumper. Took me a while to get it opened the first time, but works almost all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

Quote:
Took me a while to get it opened the first time, but works almost all the time.
Yes. Almost. That's the problem.

I finally gave up on this feature. It's just too much of a pain to use. It works on the first try most of the time. It's the 5% of the time that it doesn't that's maddening. The old fashioned keyfob or pressing the button on the lip works 100% of the time.

Tjalle is correct that the key is backing away from it after the kick. I think BMWRules7 is also onto something about "waking the car up" first, though. I've also observed that my success rate is much lower if I'm wearing flip flops.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
nicholascanada
Private
Canada
Rep

The video below seems to key on the fact mentioned of getting yourself AWAY from the vehicle. He uses a very specific motion of getting his leg back out from under the vehicle, which seems to work well.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
bmwpc
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Mine works fine after I learned from the "BMW Genius" the correct manner. I usually use it but it is a help if your hands are full and you don't want to set down whatever you are holding, Otherwise the "close" button is no more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 12:09 AM   #11
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

My "BMW Genius" had very poor success opening mine. Took him 5 tries.

I'm borrowing a buddy's m40i. I can open his much more often. Although amusingly, when I went to show him how easily it opens, it wouldn't open for either of us.

Wins the award for the "most moody feature".
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #12
bmwpc
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
Comfort Access Hatch X4M40i

Like many, my hatch opening with the foot "sweeping" is very unreliable. I had been doing it from side to side at different heights and speeds. I then read the owners manual again and noted it said to stand about an arms length away and instead of "sweeping" your foot ,on mine(X4M40i) to "kick" the foot straight ahead like you were kicking a ball. Well, well. So I immediately went out and tried the "correct" method. No chage in operational consistancy. I guess I'll ask the dealer about it when I make my first visit.
Appreciate 0