BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-16-2022, 08:35 PM   #1
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Your Opinion Please - Front Brake Replacement

My 2016 X3 had both front and rear brakes serviced about three years ago. New rotors and pads were installed at that time. I’ve since driven about 40,000 kms. The onboard computer tells me that 100k remains on the front brakes and 110k, remain on the rears.

Today well having routine maintenance performed, I was advised the front brakes need service. Replace rotors and pads. I was surprised by this and asked for the work to be delayed. They suggested no later than the fall. I asked if rotors could be turned. They said they didn’t recommend doing so.

My question to you is, based on the following pictures, is the dealership trying to rip me off or is there a problem that I should address?

https://pasteboard.co/vqZCAEmbJHr4.jpg and https://pasteboard.co/eH1kt0nyKpS4.jpg

Last edited by rcblackwell; 06-16-2022 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Post Link to Pictures
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 11:04 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Some people are just much harder on brakes than others. I get behind people where their brakes lights and on as much as they're off (the binary driver) and I always think to myself, I wonder how often they have to replace their brakes
I get 50k-100k+ miles on brake pads depending on the vehicle with plenty of spirited driving when conditions permit.

If the shop replaces pads and rotors, they'll have the most success to restore your braking back to new condition therefore less chance for comebacks.
Personally, I measure the rotors and only replace if close or below the spec, otherwise I just change the pads, but I do all my own work, so if the old rotors give me problems in the future, I'll just swap them out. If you've never done, brakes yourself, they're one of the easier DIY maintenance items.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #3
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Some people are just much harder on brakes than others. I get behind people where their brakes lights and on as much as they're off (the binary driver)
Agreed! There was 120,000 kms on the previous set of brakes. I was very surprised that at 40,000km there was an apparent need to replace front rotors and pads. Based on my driving, mainly highway, I expected to at least travel 100,000 before having to address brakes again.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 04:00 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcblackwell View Post
My 2016 X3 had both front and rear brakes serviced about three years ago. New rotors and pads were installed at that time. I’ve since driven about 40,000 kms. The onboard computer tells me that 100k remains on the front brakes and 110k, remain on the rears.

Today well having routine maintenance performed, I was advised the front brakes need service. Replace rotors and pads. I was surprised by this and asked for the work to be delayed. They suggested no later than the fall. I asked if rotors could be turned. They said they didn’t recommend doing so.

My question to you is, based on the following pictures, is the dealership trying to rip me off or is there a problem that I should address?

https://pasteboard.co/vqZCAEmbJHr4.jpg and https://pasteboard.co/eH1kt0nyKpS4.jpg
First, the onboard notice on your display is useless. Utterly useless. It measures nothing except time. Second, your pictures are just pictures of rotors. We can't tell how thick they are. The only thing that matters at this point is pad thickness. New pads are about 10mm. They need to be replaced pretty soon at 3mm. So ask your guy what they measure.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 05:45 PM   #5
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

Smells like BS from the dealership, have you noticed any loss of stopping power?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 04:10 PM   #6
bmwPower99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw f25 X3 35d

Those pictures to my eye show pretty crusty and scored rotors. So yeah, imo they need replaced and you should mate new pads to new rotors.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 01:20 PM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Meh, I'd go by 1) Brake pad thickness and 2) presence of any problems.

Check pad thickness, inboard and outboard. If it's more than 5 to 6mm then just forget about it.

The very out parts of a rotor that a pad doesn't hit, in our climates, are going to be ugly. It doesn't mean a thing.
Appreciate 0