BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
AndyG
Rep
Drives: X3 2005 2.5i Manual

4x4 light comes on, vehicle shudder

Hi:

I've recently taken possession of a 2005 X3 with a manual transmission. Two days ago, as the weather dipped below freezing, I encountered something. The 4x4 light came on when I was in first and starting from a stop. The vehicle shuddered as though the ABS was firing,

I started the vehicle again and the problem went away. I assumed that I engaged the hill descent control by accident. Well, this AM it happened again. Both times restarting the vehicle made it drivable again but the caution lights were engaged for the rest of the drive to work. Going home today, there was no incident.

I am certain I didn't engage the hill descent function but again, shifting into first from a start by accident. A wheel bearing was replaced recently, could it be that something wasn't done correctly?

Any advice?

Please and thanks!

Last edited by AndyG; 12-19-2011 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Bimmer4125
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3

Hi there - This may sound crazy but...I had the same issue on my 2004 X5 4.4 but with the auto trans. Turned out that it was the battery. Since the battery had weakened, it provided enough juice to start the car but threw all kinds of trouble lights and "bucked" the transmission. I would turn it off and the trans would be good but all the idiot lights would stay on until thebattery had charged a bit. A new battery made it all better.

Good luck and Merry Christmas. John
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
AndyG
Rep
Drives: X3 2005 2.5i Manual

Hi:

There may be some wisdom to what you're saying. Who knows how long my used vehicle was on the lot before I took possession? These two instances took place the first week I was driving when the weather began to turn colder.

Now that I'm driving it regularly, the battery may be charged properly.

There has been no third incident yet, so fingers crossed.

Merry Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
jclopezv
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

Guys, I know that it is a 3 yrs old thread, but, I'm having the same problem.
2005 X3, manual transmission.

I got the car 1.5 yrs ago, the battery was so bad that I wouldnt start the car. It was the original battery. I went to Autozone and got the top of the line battery ($160 I think). Anyhow, few weeks ago I got the 4x4, abs, and break warning lights, after some research I decided to replace the actuator gear in the transfer case, surprisingly it was almost in new condition. btw, I got new transfer case and differentials fluids.

Well, yesterday, when I was parking, some lights came on for a sec and then just the 4x4 light was on. I parked the car, turn off the car and removed the key.... no automatic interior lights, radio not working, nothing electric was working. While sitting in the car, I locked it with the remote control, then, unlocked it, put the key in, and the car was on without any lights at all, the computer was reset (mpg, travel distance, clock, all was set to zero).

Is it the battery? It's only 15 months old. I usually drive only 5 miles during weekdays and maybe 20-50 during the weekends.

thanks Bimmers community.

Update:
So, went to Autozone, the battery tested as 40% charged. I was asked to leave it in the store charging for 1 hr and it will be good. 1 hr after, only 70% charged. They told me to leave it charging in the store for 20 more min. Not significant improvement. They replace the battery for a brand new one. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

This is the battery:

http://www.autozone.com/routine-main...9459_928773_0/

Duralast Platinum/Battery

Fits Your Vehicle
Click to view video
This product is a fit for your:
2005 BMW Truck X3 AWD 3.0L EFI DOHC 6cyl
Part Number: H8-AGM
Warranty: 3 YR

Live chat by BoldChat
Price: $171.99
Core: