BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i Carbon Black

iPhone 4 BT SMS Mail question

Guys,

Have just bought a new car (actually an X4, but in this context it's the same as an X3) and want to get my iPhone 4 (IOS7) to work properly.

Have the Sat Nov Pro, the enhanced BT, Apps, etc, that should not be the problem.

Have 2 issues:

1. When using BT, the sound regularly has some hick ups.... is not happening when using the USB connection. Tried repairing etc, but this issue stays. Any solutions for this? Anybody had the same problem?

2. Would like to get my email and SMS of my phone in my car but I can not get that to happen. Reading through forums this should be possible. Any Idea how? Or is this NOT possible?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
jdmass
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jypsie View Post
Guys,

Have just bought a new car (actually an X4, but in this context it's the same as an X3) and want to get my iPhone 4 (IOS7) to work properly.

Have the Sat Nov Pro, the enhanced BT, Apps, etc, that should not be the problem.

Have 2 issues:

1. When using BT, the sound regularly has some hick ups.... is not happening when using the USB connection. Tried repairing etc, but this issue stays. Any solutions for this? Anybody had the same problem?

2. Would like to get my email and SMS of my phone in my car but I can not get that to happen. Reading through forums this should be possible. Any Idea how? Or is this NOT possible?
Regarding #1, this may be a long shot, but while you have a bluetooth call connected, try adjusting the volume level on the iPhone itself.

Regarding #2, support for Office functions with iPhone is very limited, and Email and SMS are not available (although I believe some folks may have been able to get new SMS messages apparently - but not see existing ones). See http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...hframedin.aspx for specific details.
Previous BMWs: 2000 528i, 2003 540i, 2007 335i Sedan, 2009 335i Sedan, 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 04:35 AM   #3
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i Carbon Black

Jdmas,

Thanks.

Will try #1, but I am open for more suggestions, mainly because I hardly have the problem when making a phone call, I certainly have it consistently when playing BT music....
With regards to #2, I got that far myself, but is email and/or SMS possible in certain cases or not. In what situations was this possible? I know it's a difficult one...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Just left Blackberry for a new 5s a couple of months ago. The iPhone would not play music, stream, or messages using BT. Deleted phone on iDrive and then re-aquired. Didn't work at first, but later I got in the car and it was all working except emails. It reads SMS messages as eMails and will not recognize regular eMails. BB had no problems after setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
TommyL
Norway
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 F25 20d MSport

Question #2 should be possible. According to this thread, you will need to turn on "Show Notification" in the BT settings for the device/vehicle.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5067487

1 Pair your phone with the vehicle using the proper steps for individual vehicle.
2 In you iPhone open settings
3 Open Bluetooth connections
4 Locate the head unit device. This is located below the Bluetooth on/off slider. A standard name may be Car Multimedia, locate your head unit name. There will be a button off to the right shaped like a lower case i with a circle around it, tap that and it will open up settings for the device/vehicle.
5 Turn on "Show Notifications"
6 Go back to home screen and turn phone off then turn it back on.
7 While your vehicle is still on and your phone completely boots up they should connect automatically and the text messages should start coming through your vehicle as long as it's turned on in the vehicle settings.

Haven't gotten around to try it myself yet though.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Thanks for posting link..still only text messages, no emails. Other BMW owners seem to have the same problem.
Appreciate 0