BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Forcing the power liftgate

Despite my best efforts to educate passengers on the power liftgate, some people have still forced it either up or down. After hearing the overly high pitched whines from the motors I shouted and ran back to find the hatch immobilized by what I assume to be from a safety circuit.

Does anyone know if this is damaging to the system? On more than one occasion, the liftgate wouldn't even open (which caused one person to proceed to yank it harder) and I'm afraid that it was due to the numerous times it muscled open/closed.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Hmm, don't sweat it... the car is under warranty.

I think you should talk to dwjones999 and sort out your power liftgate dilimmas.

Power liftgates cost $4000 on the Canadian X3's so I'd avoid having your passengers touch the liftgate. ...could be expensive damage.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

It sounds like the tailgate can be operated manually without damaging it - as long as you don't go mad with it

The manual states "In the case of an electrical defect, operate the unlocked tailgate manually, proceeding slowly and avoiding sudden movements"

By inference that suggests that you can damage it if you start swinging on the thing
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I overrode the one on my Toyota for years as it was way tooo slow.

I have forgotten and done the same with the X3 quite a few times, but I try to ease up on the pressure.

The BMW dealer told me not to, but hey, habits are hard to break.
If it was a problem to do it, there would be a warning sticker on the hatch saying "Dont close manually except in emergency".

Crikey, they build these cars in a country that has to warn people that coffee is hot.

If your tailgate is not opening, take it back to them to get fixed.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ah good to know that, while not recommended, forcing the door one way or the other isn't totally catastrophic. Makes sense that it if it were, then there would be warning scrawled somewhere on the hatch or nearby. Nevertheless I'll be sure to be more on my toes whenever any interaction with the hatch is imminent. Either that or slap a huge flashing LED-lit sign on the rear glass telling people that the tailgate is POWERED.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
Ah good to know that, while not recommended, forcing the door one way or the other isn't totally catastrophic. Makes sense that it if it were, then there would be warning scrawled somewhere on the hatch or nearby. Nevertheless I'll be sure to be more on my toes whenever any interaction with the hatch is imminent. Either that or slap a huge flashing LED-lit sign on the rear glass telling people that the tailgate is POWERED.
Electrify it. See how fast they learn!

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
I overrode the one on my Toyota for years as it was way tooo slow.

I have forgotten and done the same with the X3 quite a few times, but I try to ease up on the pressure.

The BMW dealer told me not to, but hey, habits are hard to break.
If it was a problem to do it, there would be a warning sticker on the hatch saying "Dont close manually except in emergency".

Crikey, they build these cars in a country that has to warn people that coffee is hot.

If your tailgate is not opening, take it back to them to get fixed.
I find BMWs for ROW market has way less warning labels than those for NA market. I don't know in Australia, but mine doesn't even have airbag warning label on the sun visor that the US customers hate so much The only airbag warning label is on the passenger door jamb.
When I lived in canada few years ago, my jeep grand cherokee was literally infested with warning labels.. airbag warning, higher rollover risk (maybe because it's a jeep? ), objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.. etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
DGDuerr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plob View Post
It sounds like the tailgate can be operated manually without damaging it - as long as you don't go mad with it

The manual states "In the case of an electrical defect, operate the unlocked tailgate manually, proceeding slowly and avoiding sudden movements"

By inference that suggests that you can damage it if you start swinging on the thing
I completely agree here, Plob. I've had mine in the garage, pressed the button to open, and I thought that it was going to hit the overhead door, so I gently pulled it back down slightly, and it stopped. There are some built-in safety features (a good thing, especially if you have children, or absent minded spouse), ... if you treat your tailgate with respect, you should get many years of faithful operation....
      02-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Ouch! That hurt - because its true.

Most of the residents "... in a country that has to warn people that coffee is hot." are embarrassed that a supposedly intellegent group of jurors could be so incredibly stupid. In fact, this resident, would truly like to personnaly strangle every one of those A%* H*#$s and wish an eternity of hot coffee hell to the incredibly despicable woman and her lawyer that even pressed the suit.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post

Most of the residents "... in a country that has to warn people that coffee is hot." are embarrassed that a supposedly intellegent group of jurors could be so incredibly stupid. In fact, this resident, would truly like to personnaly strangle every one of those A%* H*#$s and wish an eternity of hot coffee hell to the incredibly despicable woman and her lawyer that even pressed the suit.
Actually, I wasn't trying to comment on the intelligence of the residents. It was a coment on the litigious nature we as outsiders see as a "norm" for the US.

If the US must have warning stickers on coffee and yellow reflectors on front fenders (thinking the US spec Z4 here compared to the rest of the world), why wouldn't they insist on a warning sticker on the auto tailgate if touching it was going to cause damage.
If one breaks because of manual handling, and BMW gets sued, then I'm sure we will all hear about it.

In the meantime, I think we can just continue to treat our cars like cars and use them (with some respect).

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Wait, you're saying that if order hot coffee, the coffee I receive might be hot?
      02-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Wait, you're saying that if order hot coffee, the coffee I receive might be hot?
Apparently so. Check the label just to be sure.

I would have thought the US government would legislate the installation of the little heat sensitive stickers they use on pizzas to tell you "they are still hot enough to eat after the delivery driver takes 30 minutes to find your house" on the coffee cups to make sure you could do a visual safety inspection before daring to bring your lips close to the rim.
Perhaps a more upmarket version like the stickers that show the temperature of a tropical fish tank?

In no way shoud we trust the AUstralian method of SEEING IF THERE IS STEAM COMING OFF IT BEFORE DRINKING! because that obviously doesn't work.
There are only 22 million of us. The snakes, spiders, crocodiles and sharks cant be the reason our population is so small. We must all be dying from coffee and tea burns.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
In no way shoud we trust the AUstralian method of SEEING IF THERE IS STEAM COMING OFF IT BEFORE DRINKING! because that obviously doesn't work.
steam only rises in the southern hemisphere
in the northern hem it just hangs around the lip like a bad science experiment
      02-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:

Not to let actual facts get in the way of a good story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...;s_Restaurants

http://www.slip-and-sue.com/the-famo...uit-revisited/

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

That case was not nearly as cut and dried as the media has portrayed it (imagine that, the media overblows something!). If you look at the facts, the verdict, dare I say it, sounds reasonable.

Not to hijack this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...;s_Restaurants

http://www.slip-and-sue.com/the-famo...uit-revisited/

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

That case was not nearly as cut and dried as the media has portrayed it (imagine that, the media overblows something!). If you look at the facts, the verdict, dare I say it, sounds reasonable.

Not to hijack this thread.
I agree with you totally. McDonald's was in the wrong here. They were given several chances to remedy the situation but refused. The suit was completely justifiable.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Hmm, don't sweat it... the car is under warranty.

I think you should talk to dwjones999 and sort out your power liftgate dilimmas.

Power liftgates cost $4000 on the Canadian X3's so I'd avoid having your passengers touch the liftgate. ...could be expensive damage.

Are you guys getting seriously ripped off as this is a relatively cheap option in the UK @ £385 which I think equates to about 603 dollars?
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
One could imagine the $4000 included the metal rear door as well? Not just the small motorised lifters...

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
Facts are only facts. I was referring to something much more powerful and with a much longer shelf life. Folklore.
In a hundred years the facts may still be somewhere in some archive, but the folklore will still be as strong as it is today.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X35D For Me View Post
Are you guys getting seriously ripped off as this is a relatively cheap option in the UK @ £385 which I think equates to about 603 dollars?
The power liftgate does not cost $4000 in canada. I think the poster's point was that it is only available as part of a premium package which costs $4000. It is not available as a standalone option.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
back on topic - MetaX, I think this means that no damage was done?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
back on topic - MetaX, I think this means that no damage was done?
That appears to be the case since it is opening and closing fine. Haven't seen had a repeat of an unresponsive lift gate yet. I have been extra-vigilant with making sure that everyone opens and closes the lift gate properly as well. Perhaps I will institute a rule: you are only allowed to use 1 finger when opening or closing the gate! Since the vast majority of my friends are not strongman/strongwoman competitors or kung-fu obsessed (they seem to favor doing push-ups using only 1 or 2 fingers) I think it may be a good policy.
Appreciate 0