BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #1
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Transmission pop into park

So over the weekend I was distracted while slowly driving off out of a parking and didn't notice that the driver's door wasn't fully closed. As has happened before, the transmission automatically goes from drive into park and a warning (something along the line of "ensure that driver's door is closed") displays in iDrive.

Usually, this happened as I was pulling into my garage after getting out and back in to remove a dustbin or such from being in the way, so it would be at just below idle speed. This time however, I pulled away with intent (although not fast) so I could hear the transmission making a clicking sound (2 or 3 clicks) as it stuttered to a halt. I stupidly did this twice until I noticed the warning and door.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or are aware of damage which could have been caused? I'm paranoid about mechanical sounds...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

There is an interlock to prevent you driving with the door open (may be linked to seat belt too?) If it was the interlock it should not cause any damage so you should be fine.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Aha, I didn't realise that. Have Googled it a bit now, it sounds like it should be fine.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0