BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

After 2 months with my X3, I have some questions

I've had my X3 for about 2 months. It's been mostly great!! Just a bunch of random questions here. Feel free to answer any one of them! Thanks.

1. Is there any downside to using EcoPro (aside from the obvious drop in performance)? For instance, is it bad to use it when the engine is cold?

2. The manual says that if I hold the left (-) paddle shifter, the transmission will select the lowest possible gear for the given speed. This simply doesn't work for me. My car is NOT M-Sport, I ordered 2TB (sport auto w/ paddles) as a standalone option. Am I missing something? If not, is this something that can be coded?

3. Is there any way to add traffic to the Navigation system after the fact? Can I pay BMW and/or code it in myself? The system has all the settings for it, but since I didn't pay for it nothing shows up. I'm willing to pay because as it is the whole navi is obsolete next to my iPhone and Google Maps...

4. Does anyone else from the Greater Toronto Area find that the navi pretends like the 407 doesn't exist? I have "Avoid tolls" turned off - yet the navi really hates the 407, often suggesting routes that would take MUCH longer.

5. Is everyone's rear wiper stupid? I mean, if it's already on when I turn the car on, it seems to do nothing until I turn it off and back on, then it goes into it's (often too slow) auto mode. Is there no way to just set it to "on"? The only way to make it stay on seems to be to put the car in reverse :P

6. When I picked up the car, they said if I held down the unlock button the windows would eventually open. Also, the lock button would eventually close the windows and the roof. This doesn't work. Is this a coding issue or is something wrong with my car?
      04-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

There is nothing wrong with eco pro. For warming the engine up I would disable the stop start so that the engine can fully warm up without the start stop stopping this. I would also disable the stop start if you are planning to floor it and when you are using the turbos a lot due to the fact the turbos are cooled by the engine and if the engine isn't running your turbos are not being cooled. On the F30 forums there have been reports of turbos failing because of this in the N20's.

It only selects the lowest gear if you put the car into sport mode on the transmission by knocking the gear selector to the left and then manually shifting when you see the numbers. When this happens say you are in 7th gear and you want to go around someone then just floor the pedal and the transmission should shift to the lowest gear possible.

It can be retrofitted. Not sure what options and what differences are present in the Canada market in terms of options but check out this site http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/.

Try updating your maps

Well it was designed to be used only when needed and I am not sure why you would leave it constantly on. There is no auto on mode for the rear wiper.

It can be coded. The car should have the ability to roll down the windows but in the American market the option to roll up the windows is not coded on by BMW so all you do is code it yourself and it works like a charm. You can also change the amount of time it takes by holding the door or the key for the windows to roll up and down or the mirrors to close.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
Speedbird1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3 2023 F44 220i

Had my 2015 X3 30d Msport for a while now and can answer the following for you:

1. No downside to using ECO-PRO anytime.

2. Although I've not tried, I believe this only works if you pull the left paddle shifter AFTER depressing the throttle all the way down i.e. activating kickdown first.

3. Can't assist with this one I'm afraid - but I suspect it will be expensive if it is possible.

4. Definitely can't assist with this one - not a road I frequently use LOL.

5. Mine does this - always have to switch off then on again to activate - it may be to prevent damage in really cold weather.

6. On my UK spec car this definitely works in both directions. Also can remotely open and close the tailgate from the fob. I believe this is a regional coding issue to comply with local laws.

Hope I've been of some help, but I'm sure there are others out there who will know more.

All the best and enjoy your ride
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

regarding questino 2, not sure why you need to use that feature. Simply mash the gas pedal over the kickdown point, the car will give lowest gear possible in any mode (eco/comfort/sport).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by exon View Post
regarding questino 2, not sure why you need to use that feature. Simply mash the gas pedal over the kickdown point, the car will give lowest gear possible in any mode (eco/comfort/sport).
Sometimes I want the lowest gear but only 75% throttle... I just like the control (I drove manual for 17 years before I got my X3).

Kind of for the opposite reason I find myself shifting manually in sport mode to keep the revs down - I want the more responsive throttle and the tighter steering without having to endure it holding on to 3,000 RPM while I'm cruising or refusing to stay in 8th gear on the highway at 120 km/h. I can see now why the Audi lets you set drive modes for steering and throttle separately.