BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
mazdaspd96
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 CX5

2013 X3 35i, 2013 Q5 or 2016 Mazda Cx5

HI, I'm looking to change my 2013 Mazda Cx5 and I have the choice between these...

The 2013 X3 35i has the M package en every other possible options. It has the extended warranty until 160 000 km...

What do you recommend me?

The 2016 Cx5 would be a brand new car... But it is a mazda...

The audi is interesting, but exterior is ugly!

Thanx
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaspd96 View Post
HI, I'm looking to change my 2013 Mazda Cx5 and I have the choice between these...

The 2013 X3 35i has the M package en every other possible options. It has the extended warranty until 160 000 km...

Thanx
If its in good shape, the X3. Tonnes of fun combined with comfort and utility.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #3
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

so what's wrong with Mazda. I might even suggest it will be more reliable than a used X3...... sorry, don't throw me off the forum now.....

Last edited by Portimao318; 04-04-2015 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:10 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
so what's wrong with Mazda. I might even suggest it will be a lot more reliable than a used X3...... sorry, don't throw me off the forum now.....
There are good and bad with every manufacturer, so what makes you so sure that this one will be more reliable?

Go onto a Mazda forum and you will soon see!
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
There are good and bad with every manufacturer, so what makes you so sure that this one will be more reliable?

Go onto a Mazda forum and you will soon see!
Well, a new Mazda comes with new car warranty , the extended warranty for this X3 seems not bad either, but it depends what this warranty exactly covers . It's also a personal feeling : do you like to drive a Mazda, or a BMW.

Last edited by Portimao318; 04-04-2015 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
Jypsie
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i Carbon Black

a BMW! What a questions....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
VinX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaspd96 View Post

Thanx
I personally think the Q5 looks good, but since you think it's ugly, you shouldn't buy it.

The power of the 35i will blow away the Mazda CX-5. CX-5 is a great car and drives great, but I think BMW is on a higher pedestal than Mazda.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
If you think the Q5 is ugly you'll hate it more once you buy it because the new model is coming out in few months.
      04-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #9
djjohnr
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 x28i

I'd planned on buying a cx-5 last fall. However on the test drive it became really clear that it wasn't nearly quick enough for me, totally failing the passing on the freeway uphill test. I wound up test driving a lot of cars in this class, and the X3 had the best combination of handling and quickness.

FYI, I got mine new for not that much more then a fully loaded CX-5.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive 28i

also the q5 and the cx5 are smaller in trunk and interior space. apart from the Volvo xc60, there is nothing that beats the x3 in space. and then there's the fun factor. .
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmeupscotty View Post
also the q5 and the cx5 are smaller in trunk and interior space. apart from the Volvo xc60, there is nothing that beats the x3 in space. and then there's the fun factor. .
Incorrect in terms of the trunk. The CX5 has more cargo space behind the rear seat. The Q5 also has a (slightly) larger cargo area. This is true both in measured volume and my personal "stroller test" where I put a large stroller in the back of all of the CUVs I was considering and took a picture. The X3 is the smallest of the three. Please don't post random misinformation.

To answer the OP:

I assume you're talking about a well equipped CX5 with the 2.5L gas engine.

The 2016 was updated with an improved transmission including a much needed Sport mode (I say much needed because the 2015 and earlier model always upshifted way too fast for fuel savings and felt more sluggish than it was).

It was also updated to be lower in NVH and a much quieter highway ride. You will probably notice the difference compared to your 2013.

The CX5 is just as tossable and handles as well as an X3, is 600 lbs lighter, and makes enough power to be competent (even if nowhere close to X3 in max power or acceleration).

The CX5 also gets MUCH better fuel economy (rated 35% higher than the 35i, real world anecdotes by car mags says its at least as good as it's rated) and runs on regular gas.

The cost of ownership, even if the purchase price is the same, is going to be drastically lower with the CX5.

If it was a logical decision, the CX5 would win. It's the best of the "mass market" CUVs from an enthusiastic driver's perspective. Where its competition (RAV4, CRV, Equinox, Rogue, Journey, etc) drive like boring, normal passenger cars and don't handle particularly well under any amount of power, the CX5 has been universally well recieved by automotive journalists and enthusiasts alike. You don't get a power hatch, and you don't get rear-biased AWD. It's not an entirely comparable car to the X3, but you get all of the same utility, most of the same handling and a healthy enough engine for a lot less $$.

Of course, it's not a logical decision, it's an emotional one. If you're in love with the X3 (as I was) then buy it! Know that you're doing it because you love the car and not for any rational reason. as long as you can afford it, there is nothing wrong with that! We all spend our money on the things that make us happy! Just make sure you're doing it for the right reasons (passion!) and not because you somehow convinced yourself that it was a smart financial decision.

Last edited by Jordster; 04-07-2015 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 11:00 PM   #12
mazdaspd96
Private
Rep

Thanx!

I made an offer on a 2013 x3 but it was refused! Maybe it is a sign!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
djjohnr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordster View Post

To answer the OP:

The CX5 is just as tossable and handles as well as an X3, is 600 lbs lighter, and makes enough power to be competent (even if nowhere close to X3 in max power or acceleration).

The CX5 also gets MUCH better fuel economy (rated 35% higher than the 35i, real world anecdotes by car mags says its at least as good as it's rated) and runs on regular gas.

The cost of ownership, even if the purchase price is the same, is going to be drastically lower with the CX5.

If it was a logical decision, the CX5 would win. It's the best of the "mass market" CUVs from an enthusiastic driver's perspective. Where its competition (RAV4, CRV, Equinox, Rogue, Journey, etc) drive like boring, normal passenger cars and don't handle particularly well under any amount of power, the CX5 has been universally well recieved by automotive journalists and enthusiasts alike. You don't get a power hatch, and you don't get rear-biased AWD. It's not an entirely comparable car to the X3, but you get all of the same utility, most of the same handling and a healthy enough engine for a lot less $$.
I didn't find the power in the 15 to qualify as competent. I haven't driven the 16, but there's only so much you can do with that little horsepower.

A few mass market CUVs I tested that outperformed the CX5:

- Ford Escape 6 cylinder: fast and actually handles really well. Fugly though.

- Kia Sportage SX: fast and stiff, although unrefined handling. Steering wheel angle sucks, roofline is short and it's kinda fugly.

- VW Tiguan R Line: handles better then anything else I test drove. Not quite quick enough. Trunk space is tiny.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 09:30 AM   #14
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post
I didn't find the power in the 15 to qualify as competent. I haven't driven the 16, but there's only so much you can do with that little horsepower.

A few mass market CUVs I tested that outperformed the CX5:

- Ford Escape 6 cylinder: fast and actually handles really well. Fugly though.

- Kia Sportage SX: fast and stiff, although unrefined handling. Steering wheel angle sucks, roofline is short and it's kinda fugly.

- VW Tiguan R Line: handles better then anything else I test drove. Not quite quick enough. Trunk space is tiny.
1. There hasn't been a Ford Escape 6-cylinder in 5+ years. The Turbo (is that what you meant?) is quick, but barely faster than the CX5, recommends premium gas and gets MUCH worse mileage.

2. Kia Sportage is available with a V6 but drives like an unrefined turd, as you say.

3. The Tiguan is the size of an X1 or Q3, and not comparable to the X3 or Q5 that the OP asked about. It's also slow for it's size and fuel consumption.

The 2015 CX5 has plenty of power (185 hp, 184 lb-ft torque) but the transmission always wanted to upshift, so the only way to use the power was to keep your foot down or use the shifter and shift manually. I can see how you would confuse this with not having enough power - my in-laws made the same judgment and ended up buying a RAV4. (ughhh). The 2016 adds a Sport mode so that the transmission will allow you to enjoy the power more, and only does it's crazy upshift-to-save-gas trick in normal mode.
      04-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #15
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Incorrect in terms of the trunk. The CX5 has more cargo space behind the rear seat. The Q5 also has a (slightly) larger cargo area.
A WhatCar group test states:

"Officially, the X3 has the biggest boot – its 550 litres of luggage space is just ahead of the Q5’s 540 litres, and well clear of the Volvo’s 495 litres and the Mitsubishi’s 463. That said, the XC60’s boot is the widest at its narrowest point, and the longest, so is best for carrying bulky items."

source: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/bmw/...o-xc60/1322319
      04-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
djjohnr
Rep

Quote:
1. There hasn't been a Ford Escape 6-cylinder in 5+ years. The Turbo (is that what you meant?) is quick, but barely faster than the CX5, recommends premium gas and gets MUCH worse mileage.

2. Kia Sportage is available with a V6 but drives like an unrefined turd, as you say.

3. The Tiguan is the size of an X1 or Q3, and not comparable to the X3 or Q5 that the OP asked about. It's also slow for it's size and fuel consumption.

The 2015 CX5 has plenty of power (185 hp, 184 lb-ft torque) but the transmission always wanted to upshift, so the only way to use the power was to keep your foot down or use the shifter and shift manually. I can see how you would confuse this with not having enough power - my in-laws made the same judgment and ended up buying a RAV4. (ughhh). The 2016 adds a Sport mode so that the transmission will allow you to enjoy the power more, and only does it's crazy upshift-to-save-gas trick in normal mode.
My bad, I meant the titanium that produces 231 hp, which is significantly more then the cx5. You could feel a huge difference between the two on a test drive. I don't care where you put the shifts, even when driving in manual mode the cx5 still felt like a 185hp lawn mower engine.

The Kia didn't drive like a turd, rather overly stiff. It was still a better drive then the cx5 to me.

Gas mileage was not a criteria when I was shopping. I have a blown out back that didn't get along with my WRX anymore. My criteria was something as close to a sports sedan driving experience as I could get while giving me the upright seating position my back needs for the least amount possible, with a caveat that it couldn't be fugly. That turned out to be the X3 for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #17
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post
Gas mileage was not a criteria when I was shopping. I have a blown out back that didn't get along with my WRX anymore. My criteria was something as close to a sports sedan driving experience as I could get while giving me the upright seating position my back needs for the least amount possible, with a caveat that it couldn't be fugly. That turned out to be the X3 for me.
If you're used to a WRX I can definitely see how 185hp wouldn't be enough for you.
      04-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #18
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Incorrect in terms of the trunk. The CX5 has more cargo space behind the rear seat. The Q5 also has a (slightly) larger cargo area. This is true both in measured volume and my personal "stroller test" where I put a large stroller in the back of all of the CUVs I was considering and took a picture. The X3 is the smallest of the three. Please don't post random misinformation.
27.6 ft3 (x3) vs 34.1 ft3 (x3) officially, however most practical tests suggest that the x3 has more 'usable' space due to the two large bins protruding from both sides on the cx5. Your personal "stroller" test means nothing because everybody's use case is different. For practical day to day use the x3 outperforms the cx5 in pretty much every aspect.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #19
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

35i is a rocket (unless Q5 has the supercharged V6...)

35i is quieter, handles better, very refined driving experience.

Q5 has wider leg room for driver and passenger (length wise both Q5&X3 are similar). Softer ride. Interior is a bit nicer than X3. But steering weight changes abruptly from low speed to high speed. Its 2.0T engine is quite laggy.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #20
ecsw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 x3 xdrive 28i

I test drove CX5, RDX, X1, X3 last year and I didn't consider CX5 after test ride.

I love Mazda and currently still have RX-8 as my summer car. While CX-5 lacks the power, it does have decent option included. Nonetheless, fully equipped CX5 is in similar price range to RDX to me ($5K off on RDX from one of the dealer I know) which has more power and a little better in build quality.

If you have a CX-5 currently, I would try something else. As for X3 and Q5, it's with X3 as it simply looks better.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #21
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The son and I test drove a Mazda CX5 a few months ago, I must say despite all the positive reviews, we left the dealership very disappointed. The engine is under power for an SUV and the handling or so called "zoom zoom" was nothing special, definitely not German like. Interior noise is very loud and the car felt stressed when push hard. interior design is average at best and the material has some cheap plastic in it and the control system is a idrive knock off. Overall, we rated it very low and place it on the bottom of our list.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #22
mazdaspd96
Private
Rep

humm..

still thiking!

I could have a brand new Murano 2015 SL AWD or a used 80 000km BMW X3 35i 2013 M+prem+teck+executive package (160 000 km warranty) for the same price...
Appreciate 0