BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #23
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

There are two issues I seem to encounter:
1. Very slow throttle response until pedal is pushed in about halfway, then pretty aggressive pulling. This seems mitigated by just using more throttle early in an acceleration.
2. Most of my issues are confined to the car's behavior with a cold motor. There is a very definite sine wave of revving that occurs with the A/C on (maybe with it off too but I've never done that...). When idling forward today after the motor had been driven for about five minutes (eng temp gauge was about halfway to 250) it was pretty obvious to me the car was lurching into the parking spot (not smoothly and brakes had to compensate for higher revs to creep forward linearly). The bizarre thing is this doesn't happen all the time - seems to be about 10-20% of the time but it is pretty obvious in a parking lot, let me tell you!

All in all, it's still a great car and I have little doubt at some point BMW will reflash something to alleviate similar concerns. I have 2700 miles on mine.
      07-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #24
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Anyone have experience with products such as Sprint Booster? Does it really work as intended and does it void your warranty? It seems to just hook onto the gas pedal.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #25
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

When I took delivery of my X3 35i back in Feb I noticed the same. Now after putting on 3,000 miles I don't notic the lag.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #26
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I think the car just takes some getting used to.
As I said earlier, I don’t have any of those problems on my 28i-non-sport.

If I want to accelerate slowly in traffic, I just press a little on the gas and hold it there, if I want a more aggressive start I press harder and hold it there. What I DON’T do is start with easy pressure on the gas and start moving my foot around. This can confuse the car as to what you are asking it to do. A steady pressure on the gas pedal is key.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #27
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Ok thanks guys..seems like the key is to hold the pressure.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 01:46 PM   #28
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

If you are an aggressive driver you will notice it. Of course if you are driving the kids to school, or are not hard on the pedal, then you obviously won't.

I'm at about 3000kms right now on an X35i. The 'lag' is still there. It is very noticeable. If I'm in the slow lane in traffic and want to pass, I have to switch into Sport mode to make sure I get the right acceleration to merge into the other lane. It's very annoying, but it's not a deal breaker for me on the vehicle. I don't often need a faster response, although sometimes I wish I didn't have to switch it into DS just to eliminate that. I even called my dealer, he said I wasn't the first person to comment on it, he's had a few, and the only thing he can tell his customers is to go into DS mode.

My friends have driven my car and get the exact same results as me, but from everything I've read it's normal and it's because of the turbo and for fuel 'efficiency'. So, maybe we'll have to pay for a third party flash to eliminate this down the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #29
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

So with the lag the 0-60 time is closer to 6.5 rather than 5.5?? All the tests and review didn't mention any lag in response!?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #30
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post

If I want to accelerate slowly in traffic, I just press a little on the gas and hold it there, if I want a more aggressive start I press harder and hold it there. What I DON’T do is start with easy pressure on the gas and start moving my foot around. This can confuse the car as to what you are asking it to do. A steady pressure on the gas pedal is key.
I agree, I don't have lag problems. Smoothness is the key. If you mash the go pedal like you're in a drag race, you may feel momentary lag.
      07-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #31
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBimmer View Post
1. Very slow throttle response until pedal is pushed in about halfway, then pretty aggressive pulling. This seems mitigated by just using more throttle early in an acceleration.
2. Most of my issues are confined to the car's behavior with a cold motor. There is a very definite sine wave of revving that occurs with the A/C on (maybe with it off too but I've never done that...). When idling forward today after the motor had been driven for about five minutes (eng temp gauge was about halfway to 250) it was pretty obvious to me the car was lurching into the parking spot (not smoothly and brakes had to compensate for higher revs to creep forward linearly). The bizarre thing is this doesn't happen all the time - seems to be about 10-20% of the time but it is pretty obvious in a parking lot, let me tell you!

All in all, it's still a great car and I have little doubt at some point BMW will reflash something to alleviate similar concerns. I have 2700 miles on mine.
Mine rev'd today 7 times in a parking lot when I first got into it. It was still in park and it decided to act up. I actually had people looking at me because you could hear engine reving while sitting there. I actually put it into Neutral to see if it would quiet it down. Eventually it settled down to normal but it was just as if I was hitting the gas in an on-off, on-off pattern. Does everyone else's do this intermittantly? My loaner only fluctuated slightly when I had it so this seems un-normal to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #32
Tommyvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5, 2016 M3

It sure would be nice if BMW offered a manual trans or dual clutch trans in this new version of the X3 here in the US. Then some of us could choose to avoid this issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #33
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Want the thrill, that's precisely the issue I have randomly! For the other folks, the throttle issue I have has nothing to do with rapid accel - when you mash the pedal it goes - and goes smartly. Crawl speed the throttle response just doesn't seem linear - a tough car to drive at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle...
      07-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #34
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

if you have problems in park, that seems like an entirely different problem

i agree the initial throttle is difficult to modulate smoothly. it's okay if you're slow between releasing the brake and applying throttle, but who has that kind of patience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Mine rev'd today 7 times in a parking lot when I first got into it. It was still in park and it decided to act up. I actually had people looking at me because you could hear engine reving while sitting there. I actually put it into Neutral to see if it would quiet it down. Eventually it settled down to normal but it was just as if I was hitting the gas in an on-off, on-off pattern. Does everyone else's do this intermittantly? My loaner only fluctuated slightly when I had it so this seems un-normal to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #35
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
I know this issue has been addressed in early threads, but it’s been one of those days and the lag happened again today, so I feel compelled to comment. I was previously in the camp of “you learn to adapt to the car”. But now I’m not. I grew up in the car culture of SoCal and in over 40 years of driving cars from Porsches to Tractor Trailers and everything in between; I find the throttle response to be the worst of any car I’ve driven. I find this car difficult to drive smoothly. To me, it’s the inconsistently of the response. Sometimes it’s no problem, other times you keep pushing and pushing. The worst for me has been, including today, is going uphill, pushing on the accelerator and no response. I have about 3K miles on a 28i and things are still the same, although the SP mode is better. I love the car, but this bugs the sh*t out of me so badly that if there was another car that fit my needs/wants as well as the X3 I would take a hard look at it.
I've had to do a lot of driving in the last three days in all kinds of traffic and I've been really paying a lot of attention to this. If I was to quantify this for driving smoothness I would say that 98% of the time it is "smooth", whereas other cars I've driven would be 99%+. This all occurs at very slow to slow speeds. My uphill acceleration problem is happening when I turn on to a moderate hill from a stop or very slow speed. It's probably caused by a combination slow throttle response by me and a slow downshift by the transmission. It happen again this morning, but this afternoon I gave it a hard pedal response and didn't have the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #36
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Want the thrill, that's precisely the issue I have randomly! For the other folks, the throttle issue I have has nothing to do with rapid accel - when you mash the pedal it goes - and goes smartly. Crawl speed the throttle response just doesn't seem linear - a tough car to drive at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle...
MikeBimmer, are you going to take yours in to get looked at or have you already? I remember reading a previous thread that said it is normal for RPM's to fluctuate every so often at start up, but today it just was more pronounced than ever before. It sounded like I wanted to race (which wouldn't have been a bad thing if I was sitting at a light, but in a parking spot is another story!)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #37
sard
Major
Rep

Just hoping they smooth out the pedal with software..

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #38
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep

Hmmm, good call, my issues are confined to when it's in Drive, generally. In park when cold sometimes it seems to rev high but nothing too crazy. The rev interval seems to be a peak and valley every second or so with a difference of only a few hundred RPM. I'm in the middle of a move right now, when I get to Wa DC we'll have the Bimmer folks take a peak. I'm hoping it fixes itself...
      07-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #39
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post

+1
      07-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #40
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
Here is the thread on 5post.com detailing the procedure to reset the transmission...

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455949

Also, reading through that thread, one forum member mentions that BMW is aware of the transmission lag issue (at least on the F10) and is working on a software fix.
BMW has been aware about all of this since the introduction of the new engines and transmission in the E60 LCI in 2007. It's just characteristic of the engines and transmissions. You have to learn to make the throttle cater to your intended driving style. Either I hardly notice it anymore as I've had an N54 and an N55 over the past 4 years, or I've mastered it.

It's still a fantastic drivetrain. I think it's worth a little discomfort. Think about the first time you drove run-flat tires. How annoying was the harsh ride? And if you're still happily driving a BMW, you probably got used to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #41
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

THAT HAPPENED TO ME
FOR MONTHS AND BMW HAD NO ANSWER FOR ME. I'm waiting on my replacement for my "lemoned" X3, so hopefully things will go smoothly the second time around.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #42
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

SOLUTION

I've found that using manual mode and shifting into second before taking off from the crosswalk smooths out power delivery. Then I just push the shift lever back into full auto when I've gotten going.

Try it. It's really very nice. It's almost as linear and smooth as a naturally aspirated, torquey V-8, and it makes quite the sonorous, throaty, growl.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #43
sard
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
I've found that using manual mode and shifting into second before taking off from the crosswalk smooths out power delivery. Then I just push the shift lever back into full auto when I've gotten going.

Try it. It's really very nice. It's almost as linear and smooth as a naturally aspirated, torquey V-8, and it makes quite the sonorous, throaty, growl.
Cool. I wasn't planning on, but maybe I'll just always use the paddle shifters as I'm used to doing it already on my DCT car.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #44
sard
Major
Rep

I just did the BMW Drive for Team USA today so I drove another X3. I guess if you know how the throttle works on the car you don't notice the acceleration delay anymore. I'm glad.

Appreciate 0