BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Help - iPod lead

Hello

I know this has been covered before however I am still not clear why I can't get my iPod to work via the USB. I've tried 2 different Apple USB leads and each time I get a message in the screen saying that the lead is not compatible or something to that effect.

I know people have said that they are just using the standard Apple lead however I'm not sure what's different with my set-up that would prevent the iPod from working.

Its an iPod touch 4th gen and I have option 6NH.

Want to ensure I've tried everything before I have to look at buying the BMW lead.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

Gareth, don't have a definitive answer as I'm still waiting for my car but from what I've picked up on this and other forums is that you need the special BMW 'Y' adapter lead. Think you need the more expensive Bluetooth/USB option if you want to use the white Apple lead.

Although I've the BMW adapter at home (already have a BMW with a USB socket) don't think I'll bother as I'll just plug in a 16GB USB stick.

As I've specced my car with 6NH, can you tell me if I'll get album art when using a USB stick (or anything in the USB plug). My dealer tels me that again you only get this with the more expensive USB option, but just wondered if you have an answer to this - not exactly a deal breaker but I have lots of little questions in my head whilst waiting for my car to be built.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan View Post
Gareth, don't have a definitive answer as I'm still waiting for my car but from what I've picked up on this and other forums is that you need the special BMW 'Y' adapter lead. Think you need the more expensive Bluetooth/USB option if you want to use the white Apple lead.

Although I've the BMW adapter at home (already have a BMW with a USB socket) don't think I'll bother as I'll just plug in a 16GB USB stick.

As I've specced my car with 6NH, can you tell me if I'll get album art when using a USB stick (or anything in the USB plug). My dealer tels me that again you only get this with the more expensive USB option, but just wondered if you have an answer to this - not exactly a deal breaker but I have lots of little questions in my head whilst waiting for my car to be built.
No I dont get album art, pretty sure the setup is OK on the USB stick as I get it when the stick is our Mini.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
No I dont get album art, pretty sure the setup is OK on the USB stick as I get it when the stick is our Mini.
Thought that'd be the case. Cheers anyway.
      08-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep

OK, I've done some searching on another site and found the following:

If you only have the Standard 6NH option you cannot just use the Ipod USB cable.
You will need the BMW Y Cable.

With the Assist and enhanced USB option ( 6NL) you can just use the Ipod USB cable

Guess I need to go and buy a BMW Y cable.

Does anyone know if this cable would work?

Last edited by gareth3685; 08-13-2012 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
OK, I've done some searching on another site and found the following:

If you only have the Standard 6NH option you cannot just use the Ipod USB cable.
You will need the BMW Y Cable.

With the Assist and enhanced USB option ( 6NL) you can just use the Ipod USB cable

Guess I need to go and buy a BMW Y cable.

Does anyone know if this cable would work?

Looks just like the OEM Y cable.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep

I don't think it will work. Mentions another option code (not 6NH). I also tried the Y lead from our Mini and that didn't work so I assume there must be a another lead available.

If any owners with the 6NH option can let me know how they have managed to get their iPod working with their car I'd be most grateful.

Last edited by gareth3685; 08-15-2012 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
X3vader
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685
I don't think it will work. Mentions another option code (not 6NH). I also tried the Y lead from our Mini and that didn't work so I assume there must be a another lead available.

If any owners with the 6NH option can let me know how they have managed to get their iPod working with their car I'd be most grateful.
I had the same issue, this is what I did, plug your iPod/itouch to your mac, open iTunes, select restore device, re-sync and plug it back in, see if that works. That worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
rmeir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x3

i got a ipod and just plugged it in and it wokred fine
Appreciate 0