BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Sooooo, even though it killed me, I passed on ordering the black metallic and went with Mineral Silver. Hands down I think the vehicle looks so great in black, but since I plan on keeping it for a while, I did the safe bet and went with the Mineral silver. I figured it might help resale too because people just don't buy as many black cars because they are harder to keep clean. Make the decision that is right for you in the end. I think you would love the black metallic just as much as the jet black and it would be slightly easier to take care of. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #24
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Sooooo, even though it killed me, I passed on ordering the black metallic and went with Mineral Silver. Hands down I think the vehicle looks so great in black, but since I plan on keeping it for a while, I did the safe bet and went with the Mineral silver. I figured it might help resale too because people just don't buy as many black cars because they are harder to keep clean. Make the decision that is right for you in the end. I think you would love the black metallic just as much as the jet black and it would be slightly easier to take care of. Good luck!
I just saw your order and noticed you didn't do the black! I am really thinking it over...maybe the blk sapphire wouldn't be that bad, but I just don't feel that excited about the other colors although I would 'take' any of them!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #25
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Aww Thrill I wish you didn't pick the mineral silver and just went with either one of the blacks. Silver cars hide dirt and swirls well but look so drab and boring. Black cars really aren't that hard to keep clean and swirl free as people make it out to be. Most people won't even notice a black car having swirl marks unless they're very close to the car, such as 2 or 3 feet and are unnoticeable when the car is moving.

Some ways that you can keep a car looking nice include waxing it every month or so, it only takes an hour or two, pick a weekend listen to music and have a beer while you're doing it. Waxing not only gives your car a glossy shine but helps prevent rain and dirt from sticking to the car. For swirl marks and paint chips you could put a film such as the ones made by 3M. Even for a mineral silver car I'd recommend that you but some kind of film on the car as modern day car paint chips more easily due to tighter EPA regulations.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #26
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Aww Thrill I wish you didn't pick the mineral silver and just went with either one of the blacks. Silver cars hide dirt and swirls well but look so drab and boring. Black cars really aren't that hard to keep clean and swirl free as people make it out to be. Most people won't even notice a black car having swirl marks unless they're very close to the car, such as 2 or 3 feet and are unnoticeable when the car is moving.

Some ways that you can keep a car looking nice include waxing it every month or so, it only takes an hour or two, pick a weekend listen to music and have a beer while you're doing it. Waxing not only gives your car a glossy shine but helps prevent rain and dirt from sticking to the car. For swirl marks and paint chips you could put a film such as the ones made by 3M. Even for a mineral silver car I'd recommend that you but some kind of film on the car as modern day car paint chips more easily due to tighter EPA regulations.

Awww, you're going to have me second guessing myself and this decision already pained me the first time!! My first vehicle I ever owned was metallic black ('lil convertible) and I loved it with all my heart! I know how much work goes into keeping a black vehicle clean and I am almost CRAZY when it comes to being meticulous with cars! I sold my last two vehicles outright and when the buyers came to look at them, they couldn't believe what mint condition they were in. I am a neat freak and will wash a car mulitiple times a week in the summer and once a week in the winter. I even had a drain put in the garage so when it is winter I can wash the vehicle in there! I agree the mineral silver doesn't "wow" me, but is a "safe" color. The black is just plain "smokin"! AGGGRRHHHHHH, the torture of it all!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #27
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: X3

For what it's worth, I am very happy with the MS I got. The color may be many things, but boring it is not! My previous X3s were darker and I am not a big fan of silver but I instantly liked the MS. Its' 3in1 color combo (silver, gold, off-white) makes it fresh and exciting. And it doesn't hurt to hide the dirt and swirls !
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #28
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007 View Post
Anything missing that seems important? Opinions wanted.

xDrive35i
Jet Black
Sand Beige leather
Fineline wave wood trim
Convenience Package
-power tailgate
-comfort keyless entry
-window shades (wonder if these are easy to uninstall?
-cargo net
Premium Package
-auto-dimming interior/exterior mirrors
-moonroof
-lumbar
-storage package
-interior light package
Heated front seats/steering wheel
Navigation

I'm really thinking about NOT getting the premium package because I simply do not care about the moonroof--I won't use it. Then I can add the rear camera and park distance. I wanted to keep the car under $50k and this is right there. Oh....and I was thinking about getting the aluminum rails, but not sure if they will look odd hanging out there. Thoughts?
It's a good build except for the exterior color, it will show lot of swirl marks and it's very tough to maintain. I would say go for camera options it's very helpful, I didn't had it in my previous car and I did good so I thought it's a waste, but since I have it know I realize what I was missing all these years it's very useful. I have top view also you should see it to believe it, it's too good.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #29
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Driver View Post
For what it's worth, I am very happy with the MS I got. The color may be many things, but boring it is not! My previous X3s were darker and I am not a big fan of silver but I instantly liked the MS. Its' 3in1 color combo (silver, gold, off-white) makes it fresh and exciting. And it doesn't hurt to hide the dirt and swirls !

+1 (not to suggest others should like it, too, only that I do!)
      04-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #30
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Most people won't even notice a black car having swirl marks unless they're very close to the car, such as 2 or 3 feet and are unnoticeable when the car is moving.

Agree with that, but for me it was that I knew they were there and could see them when getting into the car. Bugged me.
      04-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #31
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Agree with that, but for me it was that I knew they were there and could see them when getting into the car. Bugged me.
I'm like you Nahoa and they bug me too! If I wasn't a perfectionist, it probably wouldn't be an issue!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #32
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Awww, you're going to have me second guessing myself and this decision already pained me the first time!! My first vehicle I ever owned was metallic black ('lil convertible) and I loved it with all my heart! I know how much work goes into keeping a black vehicle clean and I am almost CRAZY when it comes to being meticulous with cars! I sold my last two vehicles outright and when the buyers came to look at them, they couldn't believe what mint condition they were in. I am a neat freak and will wash a car mulitiple times a week in the summer and once a week in the winter. I even had a drain put in the garage so when it is winter I can wash the vehicle in there! I agree the mineral silver doesn't "wow" me, but is a "safe" color. The black is just plain "smokin"! AGGGRRHHHHHH, the torture of it all!!
In a perfect world black and oyster would be my choice, in the real world of kids, hot sun, dirt and drivers who bang their doors on your car....I have to look at mineral silver or white and Mineral it will be.. unless i decide on M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #33
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Having just got rid of a black car I share your pain. Looks great when polished up. The best. But any tiny swirl or stone chip or amount of dirt and it is there for all to see.

Personally don't like silver cars now (have had one in the past). Yeah great at hiding dirt but you can see no benefit after an afternoon of polishing and waxing.

Gone for space grey. Hopefully will hide some of the dirt but also more importantly will shine after a wax.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #34
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
Having just got rid of a black car I share your pain. Looks great when polished up. The best. But any tiny swirl or stone chip or amount of dirt and it is there for all to see.

Personally don't like silver cars now (have had one in the past). Yeah great at hiding dirt but you can see no benefit after an afternoon of polishing and waxing.

Gone for space grey. Hopefully will hide some of the dirt but also more importantly will shine after a wax.
+1

Wife wanted Black. No way. Twenty minutes of beauty, a week plus of ugly.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #35
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
+1

Wife wanted Black. No way. Twenty minutes of beauty, a week plus of ugly.
You sound like my husband. I wanted the black, he pushed the opposite direction! I told him I'm the one who will be washing it a million times and he told me he'll be the one paying for it a million times! He won.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #36
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
In a perfect world black and oyster would be my choice, in the real world of kids, hot sun, dirt and drivers who bang their doors on your car....I have to look at mineral silver or white and Mineral it will be.. unless i decide on M-Sport.
So true. Black and Oyster would have been my choice if it were just me and the X3! What an awesome combo!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #37
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

AS an added disincentive to get a light interior, I have noted on here and other forums about the light (lemon, oyster, etc) interiors picking up the dye from blue jeans and staining the leather. Maybe these colors inside as much added cleaning as the black outsides are - in which case a black car with an oyster interior is double trouble. Looks great - but high maintenance.
      04-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #38
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You sound like my husband. I wanted the black, he pushed the opposite direction! I told him I'm the one who will be washing it a million times and he told me he'll be the one paying for it a million times! He won.
that's my husband exactly...although right now he's still letting me fight myself over the color issue!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #39
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I have had a jet black 3 series (6-years) and now have a jet black 2010 X3. I chose to go with jet black again for my F-25.

I hand wash in the summer, and go to the self serve car wash in the winter and wax spring and fall. I avoid car washes with spinning hard brushes like the plague, but other than that no special care is given. The finish looked great after 6 years on my 3-series and looks great on my 1 year old X3.

I wouldn’t be too afraid of Jet black as long as you’re willing to take minimal care of the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #40
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I have had a jet black 3 series (6-years) and now have a jet black 2010 X3. I chose to go with jet black again for my F-25.

I hand wash in the summer, and go to the self serve car wash in the winter and wax spring and fall. I avoid car washes with spinning hard brushes like the plague, but other than that no special care is given. The finish looked great after 6 years on my 3-series and looks great on my 1 year old X3.

I wouldn’t be too afraid of Jet black as long as you’re willing to take minimal care of the car.
Good to hear, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #41
ifiwasinmyvw
Rep
Drives: F25

My wife and I have had 5 black cars, one if which is our new X3 in black saphire. You won't be dissapointed in this color.

If you really want jet black go with it but as others have said it will not hide swirl marks and REGULAR waxing (actual paste wax by hand not the spray on crap) will be a must if you want the car to look decent. We test drove one in jet black and passed for the (in out opinon) much nicer looking black saphire.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #42
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007 View Post
Okay, so in all seriousness, why not the pressure washer? What does it do? Educate me, please.
Sorry, missed this earlier.
Well, it really depends on how it's used. 18" away from the surface isn't that bad, but watch what happens when something deflects the water ... the pressure nozzle almost always moves in closer. Something that's really attached can be lifted with the paint. Maybe just the clear coat, but now you have an edge that the pressure washer works against. Bugs can be really well attached, but soaking them with water first for a few minutes seems to loosen them up usually. Washing with a mitt and you'll find things that need extra attention, but finding them with a pressure washer may leave an unwanted "mark" as it gets removed.
Your husband may also be one if the finest professional detailers known, who taught MA78 everything he knows. and fully understands the risks. But the odds of that are very, very slim ... using the pressure washer time and again may cause him pause in figuring out how to avoid you when "oops" happens.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #43
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Sorry, missed this earlier.
Well, it really depends on how it's used. 18" away from the surface isn't that bad, but watch what happens when something deflects the water ... the pressure nozzle almost always moves in closer. Something that's really attached can be lifted with the paint. Maybe just the clear coat, but now you have an edge that the pressure washer works against. Bugs can be really well attached, but soaking them with water first for a few minutes seems to loosen them up usually. Washing with a mitt and you'll find things that need extra attention, but finding them with a pressure washer may leave an unwanted "mark" as it gets removed.
Your husband may also be one if the finest professional detailers known, who taught MA78 everything he knows. and fully understands the risks. But the odds of that are very, very slim ... using the pressure washer time and again may cause him pause in figuring out how to avoid you when "oops" happens.
That sounds like great advice.

I wash by hand (except in winter) and find it really doesn’t take long at all, and doing it by hand makes it easy to find all the little bugs and tar blobs. It’s by far the best way to go.
Appreciate 0