BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

New Owner Observations and Questions (US)

Hi, all. New X3 owner here - 2016 xDrive35. X-Line, Tech, Cold Weather, Premium, DA+ and surround view.

Background - I've owned two BMWs in the past, a 2004 and 2008 M3. I've since gotten a dedicated weekend fun car, so the X3 is replacing a 2014 Subaru Forester XT as my daily.

Some observations...

TL;DR - My ideal spec in the US would be Tech, Premium, CW, DA, M-sport, and dynamic handling. DA+ (incl. surround view) not worth it unless you're going full adaptive cruise. Overall, a really good car but seriously let down by RFTs, artificial feeling steering in base setup, non-sport seats, and a weird seat/pedal setup.

1.) Drivers assistance plus as a standalone package is pretty worthless in the US. Side mirrors on the X3 are big enough to make the blind spot information redundant if you have your mirrors adjusted properly. Lane departure and city collision are nice safeguards but aren't terribly useful in day to day driving if you're a relatively attentive driver Likewise the surround view package. Side view cameras are a nice toy but the screen views are distorted and small enough that they're not really practical for day to day driving. For the top down view - we just don't have that many tight places in the US and I'm guessing most of the owners here won't want to park in a spot tight enough to merit the surround view benefit. To date, all I've gotten out of surround view has been a bunch of false alarms and annoying beeps at toll booths and drive-up ATMs.

My advice - get the base Drivers assistance package since PDC and the rear view cameras are very useful. Skip DA+ and surround view unless you're going for the full adaptive cruise control package.

2.) Tech package - HUD alone is nice but not a deal breaker (especially since it washes out with polarized glasses). That said, the HUD integration with the nav system is quite good (intersection views, etc.). Way too expensive but worth getting if for nothing else than to scratch your tech itch and the larger iDrive screen and extended control panel look cooler. In my view, this is the package that gives you the most 'cool' factor as befitting a car in this price range.

3.) Premium package - worth it for comfort access. The button that closes the rear hatch and locks the doors is a godsend. Don't know why more manufacturers don't have this. The ability to open/close the hatch with your foot is very useful, too.

4.) Ride and handling - the engine and chassis are outstanding but there's a reason everyone bitches about the run-flat tires. They are simply horrible and ruin this car's sporting character (which is arguably, one of the reasons people buy the X3 over it's competitors). When combined with the artificial-feeling base steering, this car loses quite a bit of fun factor. I'm not sure how the RFTs manage to be this bad - they feel like mush at low speeds and yet manage to be stiff enough to make highway cruising harsher than you'd expect.

My advice - take the money saved on DA+ and put it towards the dynamic handling package. The variable ratio steering has to be better than the base set up and the adjustable dampers might help to make the RFTs seem less bad (my 2008 M3 had EDC and it was really good). Consider new tires very seriously, though in my mind, the need to buy new tires and figure out your spare/emergency setup really cramps the appeal of the X3.

5.) Interior - generally a really nice place to be but the base front seats are not great. I'm 6'3" and weigh 225lbs and I find the base front seats uncomfortable after an hour of driving or so. They're too flat and not long enough. Also, the seat/pedal relationship seems awkward. I've never had this be an issue in any other car but I constantly find myself bothered by the position of my foot against the pedals in the X3. It's like the seat points you in the wrong direction and the pedals aren't positioned deep enough in the footwell (even with the seat all the way back).

My advice: while I think the X-line package looks great on metallic colors, the M-sport package might be a better buy if for nothing else than the sport seats. I haven't driven them, but I imagine they have to be better than the base ones.

With the benefit of hindsight, I might pass on the X3 if I had it to do again. The Q5 provides a more comfortable ride and the Macan delivers better on the sporty side of things. The X3 is theoretically positioned to be the best of both worlds but the RFTs, light steering, and uncomfortable base seats absolutely kill both the comfort and sporting characteristics of the car (I'm staunchly against having to put another $1,000+ out of pocket to make a brand new car drive like it should). Heck, the X3 in stock form is a good car by all means but the Forester XT delivered 95% of the satisfaction at about 60% of the price.

A couple of questions...

1.) Do any of the larger drivers here find the base seats as uncomfortable as I do? If not, are there any tricks to the adjustment?

2.) what are you doing with your keys while you drive? The BMW key is a little too big and awkward to keep in my pocket (especially since I have my house key attached to it). I generally have the cup holders filled in the morning with my coffee and phones (one for work and one for business) and the car doesn't seem to recognize the key when it's in the driver side door pocket. BMW used to have a dedicated place for the keys despite keyless start - it's a shame they stopped doing this.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Since you asked for it

I have a X4 35i M, which in fact has the same chassis as X3. All performance extras and 20" 310:s with Pirelli P Zero- no shitty All Seasons.

I was a bit disappointed with sidewindsensitivity, steering precision and straight ahead stability so I lowered the vehicle 35mm (1 1/2"). Now handling is - almost - perfect, but with a bit of harsh ride.

BMW failed to give X3/X4 "good" handling performance while hoisted up in the air- even with all performance gadgets. All Seasons do not help.

They might have done the right thing, because what I read on X3 and X4 forums are discussions about audio, navigation and gizmos - not about handling.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

There should be a little pocket in the armrest and should be able to get the car to recognize it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

lol, oh please. BMW must accommodate more customers, hence why there are options. Did you know the Q5 and the Macan have $money$ options to make the handling better too? A stock Q5 with the 19s run on 225/55/19's. Of course the ride is going to be comfortable, look at that ratio. A stock X3 comes with slightly sportier tires. I don't want to argue here but you are wrong, and I don't care if opinions are opinions , you are entitled to it. BUT NO just NO

I don't know why people complain about a $1000 DHP package or M pack when there car cost 50K, lol. My X3 was 60K and I wouldn't turn back on any option I choose, because I wanted what I wanted. You obv dont know what the heck you want.

EDIT: I found a set of Conti DWS's tires for $450 with 75% tread, and they made the ride so much better. Sometimes you have to spend a little money kid

[QUOTE=double_j;18894318]Hi, all. New X3 owner here - 2016 xDrive35. X-Line, Tech, Cold Weather, Premium, DA+ and surround view.

"I'm staunchly against having to put another $1,000+ out of pocket to make a brand new car drive like it should"

Last edited by Crashnbrn5; 11-12-2015 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #5
NS324
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Not having received my X3 yet, I am not really qualified to talk about the features, but when I went for the test drive, the surround view worked great.

Pulling out of the spot that the X3 was in, I had to maneuver between a truck that was blocking the view forward and a car off to the side. As I crawled forward, I didn't have any idea that a curb was there, but the surround view showed it quite clearly.

Handling-wise, the X3 felt great taking the turns on the highway ramps. I was immediately convinced that it was the vehicle to get. (Of course, having sold my S4 back in January and solely driving a Venza ever since then, it is understandable that I immediately loved the handling.)

I did though make the mistake of not checking the sticker on the demo. It is possible that it had the performance tires. I'll find out once I get mine.

The HUD was great; not needing to take the eyes off the road in order to check the speed is immensely helpful to me. I instantly knew that it is something that I gotta have.
      11-12-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M Sport

I tell you, the HUD gets more useful with the speed limit info displayed. I always like to stay less than 30km/hour above the speed limit... In Canada it's a huge speeding ticket fine increase when you cross that threshold but the speed limits change all the time around here. So, it can be difficult to track. I've had a few close calls in the past and having this information literally on the windshield will be very useful.

I too don't have my car yet but in the demo it worked great. It even caught the construction zone speed limit I was driving through (I didn't notice the speed limit sign because I was busy checking out the features on the car).
Appreciate 0