BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

TPS Randomly has a fault

I'm driving, sure NYC roads are really horrible. Sometimes the TPS malfunction warning comes on. I drive for another 5 mins, it goes off. Has this happen to anyone else? Should I get the dealer to check it out?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
wangt86
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 WRX, F25 X3, Lotus Elise

Manually check the Tire pressure. Then do a reset and see if this resolves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #3
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

You have the "El Cheapo" system with brain counting your wheel speeds from your ABS sensors, and deducting if low pressure= higher revs on one wheel.

Do nothing! Or buy a new vehicle with TPMS.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Actually, the US version is the Direct version, which measures tire pressure, not the "El Cheapo" Indirect version, which measures wheel rotation speed.

I've had that message come and go, and it only got worse. If your X3 is still in warranty then bring it to the dealer and let them sort it out.

If not, and if adjusting the tire pressure and then doing a reset do not resolve the issue, then it is time for a dealer visit. It could be a bad sensor in one wheel, or it could be a bad RDC control module.

If the codes point them directly to the module, as happened with me, my recollection is that the module is about a $400 part, and the labor to replace it is about $70.

If they have to check the wheel sensors one by one then I don't have a guess on what the cost would be.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Actually, the US version is the Direct version, which measures tire pressure, not the "El Cheapo" Indirect version, which measures wheel rotation speed.

I've had that message come and go, and it only got worse. If your X3 is still in warranty then bring it to the dealer and let them sort it out.

If not, and if adjusting the tire pressure and then doing a reset do not resolve the issue, then it is time for a dealer visit. It could be a bad sensor in one wheel, or it could be a bad RDC control module.

If the codes point them directly to the module, as happened with me, my recollection is that the module is about a $400 part, and the labor to replace it is about $70.

If they have to check the wheel sensors one by one then I don't have a guess on what the cost would be.
Do you recall where that RDC module was?
Mine is bad, and the dealer wanted $900 to install it
The part itself is $200 so there is no way I'm paying that much to replace it
      11-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
02420X3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Do you recall where that RDC module was?
Mine is bad, and the dealer wanted $900 to install it
The part itself is $200 so there is no way I'm paying that much to replace it
Ouch! The dealership that I use is expensive, but that's robbery! Sorry, I can't help with the module location. It wasn't mentioned when I picked up my X3, and I didn't think to ask.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
You have the "El Cheapo" system with brain counting your wheel speeds from your ABS sensors, and deducting if low pressure= higher revs on one wheel.

Do nothing! Or buy a new vehicle with TPMS.
Don't know if joking or serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post

It could be TPMS, I recently got new set of tires about a month ago. I'm not sure perhaps, the installer damaged one of the TPMS on one specific tire, but then again wouldn't that damage be evident right after the new tires were installed? In the mean time, thanks for the help, I guess ill setup an appointment with the dealership. The warranty is good until March of next year.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #8
02420X3
Captain
Rep

Kmarei, I found the invoice for my repair. The module replaced was identified as 36-10-6-864-952 CONTROL UNIT RDC:361015. The dealer charged $402.39 for the part, and $67.50 for labor. After a 15% BMWCCA discount, my out-the-door cost was $399.40 plus tax.

I see a big discrepancy between your part cost and my part cost, but I still came in way under $900.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So I took it to the dealership, they refused to change the module. Said basically they refilled the tire pressure and that was the end of that. I assume since the iDrive warning was not present when I brought it in, they will not do the module change. even though the RDC module is only good for 2 years/24k miles.
Appreciate 0